Personal Settings Not Restored?

My personal settings are not being restored at startup or restart. I have
made no changes to settings in several weeks...this appears to have started
for no apparent reason.

Has anyone else experienced this?
7 answers Last reply
More about personal settings restored

    "ghostir" wrote:

    > My personal settings are not being restored at startup or restart. I have
    > made no changes to settings in several weeks...this appears to have started
    > for no apparent reason.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this?

    It might be helpful for me to mention that, upon startup, my desktop and
    settings are that of a new XP installation...even asks if I want a tour of
    XP, every time.

    Hi,

    You may want to download and apply this edit:

    Save settings of exit (line 54, right column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "ghostir" <ghostir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My personal settings are not being restored at startup or restart. I have
    > made no changes to settings in several weeks...this appears to have started
    > for no apparent reason.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this?

    Thanks, Anando...but those settings did not correct the situation.

    ....ghostir

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > You may want to download and apply this edit:
    >
    > Save settings of exit (line 54, right column)

    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "ghostir" <ghostir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My personal settings are not being restored at startup or restart. I have
    > > made no changes to settings in several weeks...this appears to have started
    > > for no apparent reason.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else experienced this?

    I am sorry but i am running out of ideas here.

    --

    > Thanks, Anando...but those settings did not correct the situation.
    >
    > ...ghostir
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You may want to download and apply this edit:
    >>
    >> Save settings of exit (line 54, right column)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "ghostir" <ghostir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My personal settings are not being restored at startup or restart. I have
    >> > made no changes to settings in several weeks...this appears to have started
    >> > for no apparent reason.
    >> >
    >> > Has anyone else experienced this?

    Thanks anyhow...looks like this might require a repair install of XP.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > I am sorry but i am running out of ideas here.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "ghostir" <ghostir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Anando...but those settings did not correct the situation.
    > >
    > > ...ghostir
    > >
    > > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> You may want to download and apply this edit:
    > >>
    > >> Save settings of exit (line 54, right column)
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Anando
    > >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > >> http://www.mvps.org
    > >>
    > >> Folder customizations
    > >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    > >>
    > >> Protect your PC!
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >>

    > >> "ghostir" <ghostir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Which personal settings exactly?

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    > Thanks anyhow...looks like this might require a repair install of XP.
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> I am sorry but i am running out of ideas here.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "ghostir" <ghostir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Anando...but those settings did not correct the situation.
    >> >
    >> > ...ghostir

    ALL personal settings...wallpaper, folder options, desktop icons, quickstart
    options, network connections...are reverted back to initial install defaults.

    My user name and password are preserved, however.