Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 vs Vista vs XP---What's your preference???

Last response: in Windows 7

What's your OS of Choice?

Total: 38 votes (3 blank votes)

• Windows 7
  • 87 %
  • Windows Vista
  • 9 %
  • Windows XP
  • 6 %
January 15, 2012 10:09:14 AM

Whats your OS of Choice?

Windows 7 vs Vista vs Xp which do you prefer and why?
Also which do you think is lighter/faster overall?

Lets hear it...!! :bounce: 
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 10:14:16 AM

Well, you are in the W7 forum asking this question. Are you expecting Vista and XP to win? Very bad survey design this one.

If you are using this for homework/research or simply trying to know the general trend of consumers, this poll is not going to give you an unbiased answer.
January 15, 2012 10:28:17 AM

If a person has never used Win 7, how would they know? If a person using XP has never used Win 7.......Vista........
I really like my newer Intel 2500K vs my old AMD Phenom 4 945
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 10:30:35 AM

Vista 64 Bit here...... all my rigs.... and all the ones that I made up.....
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 10:54:44 AM

Vista is garbage. (sorry alyoshka, just sayiing...) Toss up between XP and 7. XP is what I'm used to and I like it a bit better then 7. But 7 can be restrictive compared to XP but is the only gaming OS for DX10 and 11 games. While I prefer XP I use win7.
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 10:57:45 AM

Oh, it's absolutely ok. Luckily I didn't make the OS. I just like it better... :) 
January 15, 2012 11:09:56 AM

I've used XP for years - skipped right over Vista because of all the initial problems. I use Win7 64bit because I have 6G of RAM. I like Win7 and have nothing bad to say about it.
-Bruce
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 11:27:14 AM

Hi :) 

I use all 3 on various machines.... they all work but Vista is the least reliable and XP the most reliable although I like some of tthe newer features in 7...

All the best Brett :) 
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 11:27:32 AM

I've been a fan of most versions of Windows going all the way back to Windows 95 (I still run Win 98).

Vista was the one I liked the least, I couldn't fully use it as a 64-bit OS until a year after release when all the drivers and patches had finally caught up with it.

My personal favourite just now is Win 7. It has the maturity and support that vista developed, it also has a number of intuitive features like the taskbar buttons which double up as previews and the windows which snap to the edges of the screen. It just feels a nicer gui.
January 15, 2012 11:46:45 AM

Win 7 x64 for ftw
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 11:47:39 AM

Errrr. can't I vote a few more times..... :( 
January 15, 2012 2:47:24 PM

Window 7 is like a optimized version of Vista with a few more features, even when Vista has SP2 and the Platform Upgrade.

Windows xp? It's okay, but it should be avoided like a plague when Microsoft drops all support for it in 2014. There aren't many great software that lived past a decade.
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 3:58:12 PM

I've owned every OS since Win95 and Vista64 is by far the best I've used. Been using it for about 6yrs now.

I've installed Win7 enough to hate it. I'll never buy it. Maybe Win8 is in my future.
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 4:05:18 PM

Geek, can you name a few of the issues? Usually when a newer OS comes out they make improvements.
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 4:10:53 PM

I use now Win7 x64bit as a primary system + occasionally Win XP for my old film Nikon scanner and some old games.

I skipped Vista completely after I gave it 2 shots. Didn't last longer than 2-3 weeks.
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 4:13:02 PM

start with 98 got bugs then shift to 2000 upgrade to xp and still using it the last one i got from beta to now win 7 x 64 and happy with it
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2012 5:41:37 PM

W7 x64
XP32
Vista never got one of my PC, even my HP which came with it, had backup dvd's created and then wiped.
January 15, 2012 11:21:45 PM

pauls3743 said:

My personal favourite just now is Win 7. It has the maturity and support that vista developed, ...

That's because Win7 is just Vista SE. :) 
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2012 1:20:01 AM

Yeah Geek...... that was cool...........Same case here, Win 8 is certainly going to be the next OS on my list. The Deve Ed has really got me all hooked up cos of it's speed.... So Win 7...... was never in the books ....
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2012 2:29:13 AM

XP is much lighter and faster and more user friendly. Vista Sucks and Windows 7 is just a much improved Vista. I would admit that Windows 7 has many nifty features but in my opinion its draw backs out weigh its advantages over Windows XP. I use all three operating systems regularly and much prefer to work on XP.
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2012 3:01:46 AM

Even though I still use XP, I will be dumping it for Windows 7/8 as soon as I can afford a new system. Mainly so I can be up to date on software and hardware (Socket 775 system, No SATA ports, etc).
January 16, 2012 3:11:32 AM

Windows7 wins hands down, XP maybe still faster but lacks support for many features (specially eyefinity)

Vista = worse os ever made, slow clunky, badly designed
January 16, 2012 3:35:54 AM

Currently on XP because Windows 7 does not support my on-board audio. Also, legacy games do not work on Windows 7.
BTW, I'm posting this from Ubuntu.
I also had Vista, it worked fine for me; I tried Windows 7 after it but have returned to XP and using it for the last 1.5 years.
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2012 3:38:00 AM

Vista is not the worst OS ever designed. Windows ME is.

XP has no advantages over windows 7. Realistically no one should ever be putting it on a new computer(unless you already have it and are cheap). 7 is also more stable

I never had any problems with Vista, but its really just a lesser version of 7. with some annoying features, and poor resource management. Again no logical reason to use it.
January 16, 2012 4:18:44 AM

I've used most of Microsoft's OS's since DOS 2.0. I did manage to miss ME and 2000.

I currently own 4 PC's- a desktop CAD workstation with XP, my home machine with W7, and my workstation laptop with Vista Pro. Some days I manage to use all 3 of these. I also have a small travel laptop with W7. I have no real problems with any of these 3 versions of the OS. In general Vista boots much slower than the others (I helped that a lot by installing an SSD in that machine), and I like the look of 7 the best. Each of the 3 versions has a different implementation of "my documents", and I like that part best on XP. Overall I suppose I like 7 the best, but nor for any overwhelming reason.
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2012 10:08:06 PM

I like Windows 3.1 the best
January 18, 2012 5:23:55 AM

Pyree said:
Well, you are in the W7 forum asking this question. Are you expecting Vista and XP to win? Very bad survey design this one.

If you are using this for homework/research or simply trying to know the general trend of consumers, this poll is not going to give you an unbiased answer.

Wow give a kid a break; as a Mod you come out and flame my thread and tell me I have a bad survey design??? It was my 1st poll ok & 2nd I am getting used to these forums no harm done. But the reason I posted on Windows 7 side is I figured I wanted to know from the Windows 7 users their opinions since most have had and upgraded from previous OS mentioned in my badly designed poll as you describe ;)  . And I consider it a biased answer since those that have responded have or had prior mentioned OS. Thanks though for your input... :D 

DelroyMonjo said:
If a person has never used Win 7, how would they know? If a person using XP has never used Win 7.......Vista........
I really like my newer Intel 2500K vs my old AMD Phenom 4 945

Asking Windows 7 users that specific question if they never used any OS below Windows 7 then obviously they wouldn't reply or have much to say right? But I am looking as many can agree the more experienced users that have been around from probably DOS and up...lol But I am seeking good and bad from XP up. Just a poll no harm done. And to clear the air those if they never used anything prior to Windows 7 I am in no way shape or form saying they are inexperienced at all; just looking for input to my original question in the poll. But those that have used any of the 3 in question then by all means chime in. Thanks.
January 18, 2012 5:26:59 AM

4745454b said:
Vista is garbage. (sorry alyoshka, just sayiing...) Toss up between XP and 7. XP is what I'm used to and I like it a bit better then 7. But 7 can be restrictive compared to XP but is the only gaming OS for DX10 and 11 games. While I prefer XP I use win7.

Funny I have the same experience I kind of find & a bit more restrictive. I run Xp with my games and some other programs. Thanks

PS-Dx10/11 games rock. A thumbs up for you. ;) 
January 18, 2012 5:39:40 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I use all 3 on various machines.... they all work but Vista is the least reliable and XP the most reliable although I like some of tthe newer features in 7...

All the best Brett :) 

Brett,
I agree with Vista being least reliable, IMO. And yes 7 has some nice features will always have your pros/cons. Thanks Brett.

pauls3743 said:
I've been a fan of most versions of Windows going all the way back to Windows 95 (I still run Win 98).

Vista was the one I liked the least, I couldn't fully use it as a 64-bit OS until a year after release when all the drivers and patches had finally caught up with it.

My personal favourite just now is Win 7. It has the maturity and support that vista developed, it also has a number of intuitive features like the taskbar buttons which double up as previews and the windows which snap to the edges of the screen. It just feels a nicer gui.

It does have a nicer GUI

alyoshka said:
Errrr. can't I vote a few more times..... :( 

Sure....lol I am listening.

pjmelect said:
XP is much lighter and faster and more user friendly. Vista Sucks and Windows 7 is just a much improved Vista. I would admit that Windows 7 has many nifty features but in my opinion its draw backs out weigh its advantages over Windows XP. I use all three operating systems regularly and much prefer to work on XP.

I have to agree also IMO XP is faster for me as well. I use all three as well; hence my poll just wanted to hear more input from similar users. Thanks.

unksol said:
Vista is not the worst OS ever designed. Windows ME is.

XP has no advantages over windows 7. Realistically no one should ever be putting it on a new computer(unless you already have it and are cheap). 7 is also more stable

I never had any problems with Vista, but its really just a lesser version of 7. with some annoying features, and poor resource management. Again no logical reason to use it.

Yes ME wasn't my fave either hence I left it out...lol I have to disagree some legacy games & many programs don't work properly with 7 or don't work at all. Thanks

Tamz_msc said:
Currently on XP because Windows 7 does not support my on-board audio. Also, legacy games do not work on Windows 7.
BTW, I'm posting this from Ubuntu.
I also had Vista, it worked fine for me; I tried Windows 7 after it but have returned to XP and using it for the last 1.5 years.

I agree on the legacy games part. Which do you play? Thank for your input!
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2012 5:43:41 AM

Win7 and I got off to bad start. I just finished updating 7 and went to download my AMD video card drivers. Since the "dawn of time" I have always put drivers in the root of C: just because its easy to navigate there. I was told my 7 (and even though I was an admin) that I can't store files there. Sigh. I had heard of issues like this and its what annoys me the most. MY OS should let me store what I want, where I want. Don't go all OSX on me and restrict what I want to do. I would love it if Win8 had a "Power Admin" setting which turned off all the restrictive stuff. A user setting that assumes we know what we are doing and isn't going to stop us in any way. That would be awesome.
January 18, 2012 5:46:51 AM

4745454b said:
Win7 and I got off to bad start. I just finished updating 7 and went to download my AMD video card drivers. Since the "dawn of time" I have always put drivers in the root of C: just because its easy to navigate there. I was told my 7 (and even though I was an admin) that I can't store files there. Sigh. I had heard of issues like this and its what annoys me the most. MY OS should let me store what I want, where I want. Don't go all OSX on me and restrict what I want to do. I would love it if Win8 had a "Power Admin" setting which turned off all the restrictive stuff. A user setting that assumes we know what we are doing and isn't going to stop us in any way. That would be awesome.

Funny I thought I was the only 1 annoyed by that also on 7. Makes 2 now...lol
January 18, 2012 7:14:04 AM

specopspc said:

I agree on the legacy games part. Which do you play? Thank for your input!

Well currently, I have Fallout installed, and I have a few others lying around here and there - Diablo, System Shock etc.
Sigh, I don't get the time to play them.
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2012 10:37:08 AM

Diablo works fine on Win7 for me. What issues I have are with games like C&C or RA2. These games use the older IPX protocol for network games which hasn't been supported since Vista. I've found compatibility mode to work rather well, but not all features are supported.
January 19, 2012 4:55:55 PM

Tamz_msc said:
Well currently, I have Fallout installed, and I have a few others lying around here and there - Diablo, System Shock etc.
Sigh, I don't get the time to play them.

Fallout def. I have an older version of Chess-masters that of course is not compatible with vista or anything newer. Hard to find good chess games out now.
January 20, 2012 7:39:20 PM

From what I can tell on this unofficial poll, Win 7 by 85 percent. In real life 525 million licences out in the world.
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 3:43:07 AM

In real life it's like 29 people ..... we here at Toms are in real life in Toms only... :) 
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 3:44:21 AM

The rest of the lot of questions we get here at Tom's are from Aliens who are new to our world of Computing and Quantum Computing..... :) 
January 22, 2012 4:04:23 AM

kg4icg said:
From what I can tell on this unofficial poll, Win 7 by 85 percent. In real life 525 million licences out in the world.

I resent that. It's official in Tom's World....... :hello:  :whistle: 
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 4:06:31 AM

Most definitely windows 7.
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 4:21:08 AM

specopspc said:
I resent that. It's official in Tom's World....... :hello:  :whistle: 

Why don't u make this thread your signature and promote this everywhere u post, so u get more visitors here and more objective score : )
January 22, 2012 5:00:36 AM

nikorr said:
Why don't u make this thread your signature and promote this everywhere u post, so u get more visitors here and more objective score : )

Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic...lol..?
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 5:04:52 AM

specopspc said:
Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic...lol..?

No sarcasm at all.

Save Tom's, Stop SOPA!!! Do Vote! - it is my signature.

U can put there anything u want, this thread too, the link.
January 22, 2012 5:08:21 AM

nikorr said:
No sarcasm at all.

Save Tom's, Stop SOPA!!! Do Vote! - it is my signature.

U can put there anything u want, this thread too, the link.

I know just had to ask.

I will give it a shot to see if it comes out right. Thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 5:17:25 AM

The new wave of Advertising... :) 
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 5:17:44 AM

To get the link click on the BBCode(on the top of my post) on my post and pop up will show. Copy the full link and paste it in your sig.
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 5:18:37 AM

alyoshka said:
The new wave of Advertising... :) 

Right : )
January 22, 2012 5:20:15 AM

nikorr said:
To get the link click on the BBCode(on the top of my post) on my post and pop up will show. Copy the full link and paste it in your sig.

Now just have to get the Save Tom--Never even seen the BBC thing...lol I am getting old.
!