Sign in with
Your question

Rebuild issues. Please help.

Last response: in Components
July 23, 2012 3:17:32 PM

Ok so I'm becoming quite frustrated and disheartened at the problem I'm having.

I'm trying to fix a PC I built a few years ago. Initially, the reason for my need to fix it was because after running like a dream for a couple of years, it recently started to just randomly power off whether idle or busy, either on for hours or just booting up.

So ofcourse I thought it was probably 1 of 2 things. A dying PSU or poor cooling/overheating. 

So before taking any drastic steps. I took out the mobo battery and removed all power from the pc. I left it 5 mins and then put everything back and presto, it worked.

For awhile. It powered down again after a couple of hours and when I say powered down I mean BAM... Off and the pc was idle at the time on the desktop screen with no additional program's running. 

So I decided after trying a few things like switching out the memory etc etc that upgrades were in order.

I bought a brand new 550w OCZ fatal1ty PSU
I bought OCZ gold 2x2gb ddr3 ram. 
I bought a new CPU cooler (hyper 212)
I bought a new atx midi tower (haf 912)
I bought new fans both 120s and 200s (cooler master mega flows & sharkoon silent eagles)

So I gutted the old tower, removed the parts i didnt need, wiped the processor completely clean of thermal compound. put the mobo into the new tower, added new Thermaltake thermal compound (a thin layer over the entire top of CPU) attached the 212 cooler securely.

I added all the fans I could fit and made sure they were setup correctly as intake or exhaust. Added the memory, graphics. Sound, hdds etc. 

So now it powers up but the display is gone and no matter how I change things around with what I leave plugged in, I get nothing. 

What is going on!!!? The display and boot up was finei
when I got the original problem temporarily fixed and seeing as I've replaced almost the whole machines foundation I find myself stumped.

It can't be the graphics card can it?  it was working fine 
before and hasn't been messed with since. 

Which leaves just either the CPU or the mobo. 

Unless I'm missing something? 

The mobo and CPU were working fine before when the original problem was occurring. 

Please help, I really don't want to have to spend more money on another mobo and CPU. 

:( 

Thanks.

More about : rebuild issues

a c 157 ) Power supply
July 23, 2012 7:34:09 PM

Which board and graphics card do you have? Did you remember to plug in the external power cable to the card (if required).
Related resources
July 23, 2012 7:43:29 PM

I can't remember the exact motherboard product ID but it's an asus M4 series supporting ddr3 and am3+ socket. The CPU is an and phenom II quad core.

The power cable from psu to mobo is a 4-pin. I don't believe there is any external power cables for any of the cards.

The graphics card is a nvidia GeForce gtx 260.
a c 157 ) Power supply
July 23, 2012 7:48:20 PM

Blackhat83 said:
I can't remember the exact motherboard product ID but it's an asus M4 series supporting ddr3 and am3+ socket. The CPU is an and phenom II quad core.

The power cable from psu to mobo is a 4-pin. I don't believe there is any external power cables for any of the cards.

The graphics card is a nvidia GeForce gtx 260.

If you are correct about the graphics card you have, the GTX 260 requires 2 x 6 pin PCIe external power cables to make it work.
July 23, 2012 7:53:45 PM

With regards to power cables I ofcourse attached all the required psu cables to all components. CPU cooler to cpu_fan, front fan to cha_fan, top fan to pwr_fan etc.

I connected the hdd power cables to my data drives and the Sara cables also.

I also ofcourse connected the psu main power plug with the two plugs into the correct (and only) slot.

All fans power up as do LEDs. Mobo gives green light. I've tried the graphics card in both slots. Tried memory in black slots then blue slots.

Nothing is working.

I know it can't be the monitor or cable because when Plugged in from just monitors end I get the no signal screensaver which then disappears after its connected to the graphics card.
July 23, 2012 7:54:56 PM

Yes I connected the pci-e 6pins to the card.
a c 157 ) Power supply
July 23, 2012 7:58:57 PM

Does your motherboard have an integrated video you can connect your monitor to for a test?
July 23, 2012 9:30:32 PM

I don't think so but I'll check once I'm home from work. Thanks for your help so far :) 
!