DarkViper

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I forgot to use stand-offs in my computer build. When I first built this, I was a complete and total (dare I say it) noob at building PC's and completely forgot to put the stand-off's in my PC. Now, a year and a half later, I realized that I didn't put them in (as I haven't opened it more than three times, and never took anything major out). Would there be any harm in leaving it as is, or should I carefully put them on? It was a major fuss putting it together, and if I don't have to, I'd rather not do it again. I've run it for about a year and a half, mostly eight hours a day. The computer seems to work perfectly, using the GFX card, the CPU seems to be fine, and all temps are relatively normal. I know that I don't have any stand off's inside, and would like to know what I should do?...

Solution

Theres a little play in the case. Cases are standard, but not *that* standard that it has to be down the millimeter.

It would be a good idea to go back and install the standoffs, however, if the system has run fine for some time, I wouldn't see any cause for immediate harm.

In theory the standoffs aid in getting a clean ground to the chassis, however, some people have custom design open benches and cases utilizing plastic and wood...

DarkViper

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I've heard that quite a bit. But considering I have all nine sitting in a bag on the side of my desk, and this PC isn't going to be moving ever, would it really matter? Is it probable that it will short from the case?

bucknutty

Distinguished
How does the ports on the board line up with the io shield with out the standoffs? I would think you would be like 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch off. Would make it hard to plug stuff in.

If it was my computer i would install the standoffs correctly. Take the time to blow all the dust and stuff out too.

Theres a little play in the case. Cases are standard, but not *that* standard that it has to be down the millimeter.

It would be a good idea to go back and install the standoffs, however, if the system has run fine for some time, I wouldn't see any cause for immediate harm.

In theory the standoffs aid in getting a clean ground to the chassis, however, some people have custom design open benches and cases utilizing plastic and wood all the time without problem, of course, they generally use standoffs lol.

Solution
What case do you have? A lot of cases these days just have raised divots that you screw the motherboard directly into, and you don't need any standoffs. They may come with standoffs packaged in anyway, just in case you need to screw the motherboard in to a non-typical place with no bump.

Anyway, if you got the mobo in OK, I don't think it's going anywhere for now. If nothing else, the fact that the graphics card is screwed directly into the case ought to hold it steady as long as you're not messing with it.

If this case was SUPPOSED to have standoffs, then I am amazed just like the others at how you got it to fit in the first place. I would think that thing would've fallen right inside the case and you would've known right away that you were doing something wrong.