Create unmoveable/excluded file(s)

I have a bunch of .wmv files that I would like to make unmeoveable - or,
specifically, to exclude them from defragmentation. I've made them Hidden
and Read Only, but this does not exclude them from the defragmentation
process. It takes forever to defragment them. If I could get my defrag
program (Perfect Disk) to ignore them, it would greatly speed up the defrag
process.

Many Thanks,
--
oldmountainman
9 answers Last reply

    "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a bunch of .wmv files that I would like to make unmeoveable - or,
    > specifically, to exclude them from defragmentation. I've made them Hidden
    > and Read Only, but this does not exclude them from the defragmentation
    > process. It takes forever to defragment them. If I could get my defrag
    > program (Perfect Disk) to ignore them, it would greatly speed up the
    defrag
    > process.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > --
    > oldmountainman

    An easy way to do this would be to simply place them on a dedicated
    partition, and don't defragment that one.

    HTH
    -pk

    Thanks. Creating a separate partition and moving the .wmv files should work.
    But, I'd have to do the same thing with my second hard drive in order to use
    my backup program (System Guardian). Being lazy I'd like to do it in some
    simple way. I was hoping there was an easy way to mark the files as
    unmoveable/exclude. I'll swear there used to be a way to do this back in the
    days of DOS??!!

    Am I on the wrong track?

    Thanks,
    oldmountainman

    "Test User" wrote:

    > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a bunch of .wmv files that I would like to make unmeoveable - or,
    > > specifically, to exclude them from defragmentation. I've made them Hidden
    > > and Read Only, but this does not exclude them from the defragmentation
    > > process. It takes forever to defragment them. If I could get my defrag
    > > program (Perfect Disk) to ignore them, it would greatly speed up the
    > defrag
    > > process.
    > >
    > > Many Thanks,
    > > --
    > > oldmountainman
    >
    > An easy way to do this would be to simply place them on a dedicated
    > partition, and don't defragment that one.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk

    "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | Thanks. Creating a separate partition and moving the .wmv files should work.
    | But, I'd have to do the same thing with my second hard drive in order to use
    | my backup program (System Guardian). Being lazy I'd like to do it in some
    | simple way. I was hoping there was an easy way to mark the files as
    | unmoveable/exclude. I'll swear there used to be a way to do this back in the
    | days of DOS??!!
    | --
    | oldmountainman
    |

    | "Test User" wrote:
    |
    | > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | > > I have a bunch of .wmv files that I would like to make unmeoveable - or,
    | > > specifically, to exclude them from defragmentation. I've made them Hidden
    | > > and Read Only, but this does not exclude them from the defragmentation
    | > > process. It takes forever to defragment them. If I could get my defrag
    | > > program (Perfect Disk) to ignore them, it would greatly speed up the
    | > > defrag process.
    | > > --
    | > > oldmountainman
    | >
    | > An easy way to do this would be to simply place them on a dedicated
    | > partition, and don't defragment that one.

    Why not give them the "System" attribute?

    Hi a nonymous,
    That is what I though I could do in properties. But, that option is not
    offered. Where can I change attribute to "system"??

    Thanks,

    oldmountainman

    "a nonymous" wrote:

    > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > | Thanks. Creating a separate partition and moving the .wmv files should work.
    > | But, I'd have to do the same thing with my second hard drive in order to use
    > | my backup program (System Guardian). Being lazy I'd like to do it in some
    > | simple way. I was hoping there was an easy way to mark the files as
    > | unmoveable/exclude. I'll swear there used to be a way to do this back in the
    > | days of DOS??!!
    > | --
    > | oldmountainman
    > |

    > | "Test User" wrote:
    > |
    > | > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > | >
    > | > An easy way to do this would be to simply place them on a dedicated
    > | > partition, and don't defragment that one.
    >

    > Why not give them the "System" attribute?

    This can be done via XP. Have you checked with PD?

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    > Hi a nonymous,
    > That is what I though I could do in properties. But, that option is not
    > offered. Where can I change attribute to "system"??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > oldmountainman
    >
    > "a nonymous" wrote:
    >

    >> "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> | Thanks. Creating a separate partition and moving the .wmv files should
    >> work.
    >> | But, I'd have to do the same thing with my second hard drive in order
    >> to use
    >> | my backup program (System Guardian). Being lazy I'd like to do it in
    >> some
    >> | simple way. I was hoping there was an easy way to mark the files as
    >> | unmoveable/exclude. I'll swear there used to be a way to do this back
    >> in the
    >> | days of DOS??!!
    >> | --
    >> | oldmountainman

    >> nmeoveable - or,
    >> Hidden
    >> defragmentation
    >> defrag
    >> the

    >> Why not give them the "System" attribute?

    Sorry, don't know what or who PD is. However, did figure out I needed
    Recovery Console to run Attrib. When I tried to install it from my original
    CD got an error message: "Setup cannot continue because the version of
    Windows on your computer is newer that the version on the CD." Since I
    installed SP 2 a couple of weeks ago, I looked on the SP 2 CD. The necessary
    file is not there. Any ideas on how I could install the Recover Console for
    Win XP Professional?
    Thanks,
    oldmountainman

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > This can be done via XP. Have you checked with PD?
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi a nonymous,
    > > That is what I though I could do in properties. But, that option is not
    > > offered. Where can I change attribute to "system"??
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > oldmountainman
    > >
    > > "a nonymous" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > >> work.
    > >> to use
    > >> some
    > >> in the

    > >> nmeoveable - or,
    > >> Hidden
    > >> defragmentation
    > >> defrag
    > >> the

    > >> Why not give them the "System" attribute?

    "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | Sorry, don't know what or who PD is. However, did figure out I needed
    | Recovery Console to run Attrib. When I tried to install it from my original
    | CD got an error message: "Setup cannot continue because the version of
    | Windows on your computer is newer that the version on the CD." Since I
    | installed SP 2 a couple of weeks ago, I looked on the SP 2 CD. The necessary
    | file is not there. Any ideas on how I could install the Recover Console for
    | Win XP Professional?
    | Thanks,
    | oldmountainman
    |
    | "Kelly" wrote:
    |
    | > This can be done via XP. Have you checked with PD?
    | >
    | > --
    | > All the Best,
    | > Kelly
    | >
    | > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    | > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    | >
    | > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | > > Hi a nonymous,
    | > > That is what I though I could do in properties. But, that option is not
    | > > offered. Where can I change attribute to "system"??
    | > >
    | > > oldmountainman

    | > >> |
    | > >> |
> [...]

    PD == Perfect Disk

    .... or, open a command window...

    Start
    Run
    cmd
    Enter

    To get help on "attrib", in that command window, type...

    attrib /?
    Enter

    Thanks to all. OK, I can run attrib in the cmd mode. Good to know. I
    thought I needed the Recovery Console. I didn't need Recovery Consule for
    this task. I was able to set the arrtib on all the .wmv files to System.
    This did not make then unmoveavble or excluded from PerfectDisk's
    fragmentation process, however. Also, thanks for PD=Perfect Disk. I'll go
    thru all of PD's config opts, again to see if I can designate which files to
    exclude. Don't remember such an option, but...

    oldmountainman

    "a nonymous" wrote:

    > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > | Sorry, don't know what or who PD is. However, did figure out I needed
    > | Recovery Console to run Attrib. When I tried to install it from my original
    > | CD got an error message: "Setup cannot continue because the version of
    > | Windows on your computer is newer that the version on the CD." Since I
    > | installed SP 2 a couple of weeks ago, I looked on the SP 2 CD. The necessary
    > | file is not there. Any ideas on how I could install the Recover Console for
    > | Win XP Professional?
    > | Thanks,
    > | oldmountainman
    > |
    > | "Kelly" wrote:
    > |
    > | > This can be done via XP. Have you checked with PD?
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > All the Best,
    > | > Kelly
    > | >
    > | > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    > | > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    > | >
    > | > "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > | > >> |
    > | > >> |

    > PD == Perfect Disk
    >
    > .... or, open a command window...
    >
    > Start
    > Run
    > cmd
    > Enter
    >
    > To get help on "attrib", in that command window, type...
    >
    > attrib /?
    > Enter

    "oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    <snip>
    | I was able to set the arrtib on all the .wmv files to System.
    | This did not make then unmoveavble or excluded from PerfectDisk's
    | fragmentation process, however. Also, thanks for PD=Perfect Disk. I'll go
    | thru all of PD's config opts, again to see if I can designate which files to
    | exclude. Don't remember such an option, but...

    "PerfectDisk's relocation of files with the system attribute by default" is
    not a Good Thing. Perhaps you could contact the developer of that application.

Configuration Defragment Microsoft Customization Windows XP