Kodak DX7630 Question, (Ron Hunter?)

Question about the DX7630. I've got a friend who just bought this camera. He
found that, when the camera is powered on, the lens cap will automatically pop
off if left on.

Is this a safe practice? I suggested checking the manual but he found no verbage
for or against this.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bowman
9 answers Last reply
More about kodak dx7630 question hunter

    Bowman wrote:
    > Question about the DX7630. I've got a friend who just bought this camera. He
    > found that, when the camera is powered on, the lens cap will automatically pop
    > off if left on.
    >
    > Is this a safe practice? I suggested checking the manual but he found no verbage
    > for or against this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help,
    > Bowman

    I can't find any reference to use or misuse of the lens cap in the
    manual. I hate lens caps, and would avoid this camera in favor of one
    with an integrated lens cover, such as the DX7440. At least the cap is
    tethered to the camera... Perhaps Ron Baird can comment more usefully.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    I bought the DX7440 that is the little brother to the DX7630.

    I researched both cameras. It was close.

    The DX7630's lens cap popping off if left on during power up is
    nothing to be concerned about. That won't damage anything.

    It's a well thought out lens cap that stays put until the extending
    lens pushes it off if it has been forgotten to be removed during those
    hurried moments.

    Hap

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:24:06 -0400, Bowman <Bowman@127.57.32.120>
    wrote:

    >Question about the DX7630. I've got a friend who just bought this camera. He
    >found that, when the camera is powered on, the lens cap will automatically pop
    >off if left on.
    >
    >Is this a safe practice? I suggested checking the manual but he found no verbage
    >for or against this.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help,
    >Bowman

    Ron (and Hap),
    Thanks for the replies. I now have two friends that bought the DX7630 on-sale
    and both are wondering about the lens cap "feature".

    I personally have the DX7440 and agree fully about lens caps.

    Ron, I directed the post to you, recalling that you were the resident Kodak
    expert here. If I got the wrong Ron, (Baird?), I apologize.

    Thanks again,
    Bowman

    Bowman wrote:
    > Ron (and Hap),
    > Thanks for the replies. I now have two friends that bought the DX7630 on-sale
    > and both are wondering about the lens cap "feature".
    >
    > I personally have the DX7440 and agree fully about lens caps.
    >
    > Ron, I directed the post to you, recalling that you were the resident Kodak
    > expert here. If I got the wrong Ron, (Baird?), I apologize.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Bowman

    Ron Baird is the Kodak employee, I am just a long-time (55 years) user
    of Kodak cameras. I have used other brands, such as Argus, Ricoh,
    Minox, but always seem to come back to Kodak. They have a long history
    in the photography business, and they know the market.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    I have the 7630 & i find that the cap popping off when switched on is
    annoying too. Saying that i don't think it will do any damage long term.
    "Bowman" <Bowman@127.57.32.120> wrote in message
    > Question about the DX7630. I've got a friend who just bought this camera.
    > He
    > found that, when the camera is powered on, the lens cap will automatically
    > pop
    > off if left on.
    >
    > Is this a safe practice? I suggested checking the manual but he found no
    > verbage
    > for or against this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help,
    > Bowman

    Hi Mr. Digital. I didn't think it was a problem but a "feature". Just not sure
    how safe it is to practice.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Bowman

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:06:48 +0100, "Mr Digital" <nobodyhere@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I have the 7630 & i find that the cap popping off when switched on is
    >annoying too. Saying that i don't think it will do any damage long term.

    Greetings Bowman,

    You are right, if you leave the lens cap on the action of the lens will most
    often knock it loose. This is not a recommended practice, however, as it is
    never a good idea to apply pressure to a lens. Rather, I submit that you
    share with your friend the suggestion that he remove the lens cap first.

    With some cameras, the algorithm will force the lens to retract if it meets
    with much force.

    Talk to you soon, Bowman, let me know if you have any questions in the
    future.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "Bowman" <Bowman@127.57.32.120> wrote in message
    > Question about the DX7630. I've got a friend who just bought this camera.
    He
    > found that, when the camera is powered on, the lens cap will automatically
    pop
    > off if left on.
    >
    > Is this a safe practice? I suggested checking the manual but he found no
    verbage
    > for or against this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help,
    > Bowman

    Ron,
    Thanks for the reply. The lens cap does not actually touch the glass of the lens
    (that I could see), but I was more concerned about the stress on the motor and
    gear mechanisms.

    One friend is listening so far. :) I'll work on the other. Thanks again!

    Bowman

  9. Bowman said:

    Question about the DX7630. I've got a friend who just bought this camera. He
    found that, when the camera is powered on, the lens cap will automatically pop
    off if left on.

    Is this a safe practice? I suggested checking the manual but he found no verbage
    for or against this.

    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Bowman

    I have used mine for years. Allowing the lense to 'push' the lens cap off with no ill effects.

Photo Cameras Kodak