Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is the AMD - ASUS equivalent config for the Intel - Asus config

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2012 4:19:33 AM

This forum is awesome. I must say that I have come out a lot wiser after having visited this place.
Now I need help and that's why I am posting here.
I have a very simple requirement. I have identified an Intel processor - Asus MoBo config. Can you please help me find the performance equivalent in the AMD - Asus combination. I am a value buyer who is ready to spend money for performance that improves productivity for me.

My usage requirements -
1. Pure Internet/MS Office/leisure/Home Theater and no gaming
2. Future proof for 5 years with the exact same usage requirement. Might want to upgrade to Win 8 when it comes
3. I have money to buy the Intel - Asus combo, but am trying to find if I can find the same performance at a lower cost with a config in AMD - ASUS
4. I can choose only Asus Mobos - I live in one of those corners of the world
5. Since everything gets outdated in 2 years or less I am not interested to put add-on cards like sound/graphics card etc. Minimal components is the buzzword. My current system has everything separately on the mobo and one after the other it conks off.
6. The external power supply that I get for the comp has huge fluctuations which people in developed countries can't even fathom. To help you understand, think about using your system during a hurricane. Have you seen the ghost movies with the storm approaching and the bulb going like an ambulance light???(Ok its slightly exaggerated but I think you get the point)

Current planned config in Intel - Asus

Processor: Core i5 2500K - I wont OC, but got interested in the HD 3000 internal graphics since I am not going to buy a separate graphics card. the i5-2500 runs on HD 2000 only and reviews in tomshardware show a marked difference between HD 2000 and HD 3000

MoBo: Asus P8H67 MLE - Even an H61 is an option I guess. Got interested in the H67 for 3 reasons - SATA 6gbps ports, USB 3.0 and an HDMI port so that I can connect the comp to the TV if required. The MLX is an option but it doesnt have an HDMI port.

RAM: A- DATA - 2 X 2 GB = 4 GB Ram @ 1333 Mhz. Read a review here itself which says that there is no marked difference between a 4GB and a 12 GB RAM for normal non gaming usage.

HDD: A Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (ST500DM002) - 6 GBPS, 7200 RPM

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST Internal Optical Drive

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK PSU

Cabinet: Cooler Master Elite 311 Plus Mid Tower Cabinet

Cooler: Cooler Master X Dream i117 Cooler

Is this PSU/Cabinet/cooler combo the right one for the above config ?? Is there a better one ? Is this even required?? I have no clue

Please suggest an equivalent AMD configuration with Asus boards.

Thanks a lot. I have done my homework to the best of my abilities. Now I am surrendering myself to higher knowledge from the gurus.

Best solution

April 10, 2012 4:58:06 AM
April 12, 2012 6:09:22 PM

Sharkbyte !!!
Thanks for the reply. I have some basic doubts.

Processor- Well isn't the 6550D Radeon far superior than IntelHD 3000. Am I missing something. Why should I pay more money for something which is technically inferior??

Or better still could you help me out by explaining why I shouldn't choose AMD Ad 3870K over Intel core i5 2500K. I am trying to get convinced technically why this AMD is better than this Intel.

Regards,
Binoy.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 7:13:01 PM

If you want to be convinced that AMD is better than Intel, I have no answer.
You asked for an AMD/ASUS equivalent to your Intel setup, and I'm guessing the APU graphics will be better than the integrated graphics on the 2500K but in no way is the AMD solution better. All I was doing is showing you what I think would be a comparable AMD system in a similar price range.

I just posted a link in another thread that showed an i3 dual core beat an AMD Phenom II quad core almost across the board. AMD is better for one thing, budget.
m
l
April 12, 2012 9:21:22 PM

Yes the 6550D is far superior to the HD3000 graphics. But the actual CPU cores are faster on the i5-2500K vs the A8-3870.
From your stated uses I don't think that the 6550D is worthwhile having over the HD3000, but equally, you don't need the extra core performance that the i5-2500K offers over the A8.

There are other Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs which come with the HD3000 graphics, they are:
Core i3-2105 Dual core, hyperthreading 3.3GHz
Core i5-2405S Quad core, 2.5GHz/3.5GHz, low power 65W.
Maybe downgrading the CPU to one of these will save you enough money.
m
l
April 12, 2012 9:25:26 PM

Excellent point, if OP wants to use integrated graphics that fit better in his budget, on an overall better build.
m
l
April 13, 2012 3:05:25 AM

apu a8 3870k is a nice system, but for your usage, I even think an i5 2500k would suit you.

an apu would be sufficient.

but Intel is better CPU wise not talking about the graphics, as the apu had much better graphics.

well just put it this way what do you want to do with it?

you did say this
1. Pure Internet/MS Office/leisure/Home Theater and no gaming
and
2. Future proof for 5 years with the exact same usage requirement. Might want to upgrade to Win 8 when it comes

as you can see there is 0 future proof on computer (besides the case and 50% on the psu and 70% on disk drives) as things to change every year, with sataII to sataIII and the ide and stuff.

so in the end which one you like? to the written usage above, you won't see much difference going from either besides being able to sleep better and feeling L337.

overall I would say intel since I like expensive stuff.
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:33:40 PM

Ok now this is getting really interesting. I get your point. Putting together what Sharkbyte, Silvune and Tavo Nova says I did some research. And here are some fresh questions. I know you might not know the correct answer, but what is your hunch.

Situation: I am working on a word document, HD video in the background ( I will watch in between), virus scanner is scanning the system, a few files are being downloaded. Now lets say that we have two equal systems with A8-3870 on one and Intel i3-2105 board with IGP - Intel HD 3000.

Question:
In the above mentioned scenario - which build will process faster and will there be a significant difference ??

Which build will show video's with higher quality ??

I have dropped the i5-2500K for the time being since it is quite clear that I wont be able to benefit from it and moreover i3-2105 has got IGP - Intel HD 3000 which was the reason why I chose 2500 K.

Future proofing as I understand now is a myth. This would go for 3 years. Future proofing becomes an issue only if I buy expensive systems I guess.
m
l
April 14, 2012 8:51:09 PM

TH does some multi-tasking benchmarks in some of their reviews, but they usually involve gaming and I haven't found one comparing the A8 and a second generation i3.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/02/06/amd-a8...
This is the only other benchmark I've found after a quick search that involves multi-tasking. It compares the A8-3870K and the i3-2100 (HD 2000 and 3.1GHz) and the i3-2100 wins. So it looks like Intel's 'more efficient architecture' is better than the A8's more real physical cores when it comes to multi-tasking.
m
l
April 21, 2012 12:29:59 PM

Finally after weeks of dilly dallying, soul searching, research and reality check - gave my order for half the comp.

Intel core i5 - 2500K (Well apparently he i3-2105 is not available. Only 2100 is available and it doesnt fit the requirement.)

Asus P8H67 MPRO (What about MLE ??, MLE got ditched coz the MPRO was talking about more durable capacitors and for me durability is paramount). And to add to that getting MLE became difficult.

ADATA - 4GB X 2 = 8 GB, 1333 Mhz RAM ( Sharkbyte - GSKILLS is double the cost here. Took your advice on moving to 8GB from 4 GB )

Seagate Barracuda, 7200 RPM, 6GBPS HDD

Now comes another grey area.
Sharkbyte - Rosewill as a brand is not available in my locality. And I can't purchase it online.

So now I am left with corsair. My questions are

1. With regards to PSU, are these good PSU's ...

Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600 Watts PSU

Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU

My requirement from a PSU is not to add different components. The max I am going to add is maybe a soundcard and a Grafix Card. I want maximum protection for my board and RAM. Budget is around $80
Almost forgot to add. I live in a place where there is a lot of voltage fluctuation from source. Something like what you guys have never even imagined.

2. Cabinet - Does it really matter which cabinet I buy from a functional point of view? The only functional requirement I see is that, it should not be too small ( though I like small) and heat dissipation is not effective. Since looks are not that important for me, I was planning to go for

http://iball.co.in/Product.aspx?c=5
I won't be using the SMPS that is provided with that.

Does this sounds ok ?? Does the positioning of the SMPS (bottom or top) really matter ??

3. For this config, is an additional fan required? I have given an order, but I was wondering is there a need at all. ( This could be a dumb question I guess )

4. Liteon DVD writer ( Guys any idea if this is good?? The retailer was saying that this has the highest durability and hence the longest life)
m
l
April 24, 2012 12:46:14 PM

Well ... Since there are no responses from you guys .. I guess everybody is busy.

Completed the rest of the order as well.

Went for a Seasonic S12II-520 520 Watts PSU (Fingers crossed and hope its good)

Seagate 1 TB HDD with 7200, 6GBPS Sata and 32 MB cache

Cabinet I will decide on the day of delivery.

That's it for the time being. THanks a lot for your help. Really appreciate it.
m
l
April 24, 2012 12:48:25 PM

Best answer selected by binoypamala.
m
l
April 30, 2012 3:27:35 AM

Very sorry for the delayed response. Corsair makes a great CPU, but I favor Seasonic so good choice!! The 2500K is an EXCELLENT CPU so you really can't go wrong. Hope everything works out! PM me if you have any other questions.
m
l
!