• Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2012 10:19:42 PM

1090T phenom II 3.9 OC /Corsair H100 cooler
16gb g-skills ripjaw
120gb Corsair Force 3 SDD/ 1TB seagate
MSI 890FXA-GD65
XFX BE 6870 940/1150 crossfired with a standard 6870 OC'd to 940/1150

So I have a crossfire 6870. My standard 6870 is connected on the first slot near the CPU, and the black edition 6870 is connected on the 2nd slot. My motherboard only has 2 slots for PCI-E @16. What i've noticed is that both MSI afterburner and GPU-Z detects my second video card (which is the black edition) as my First GPU. It is also detected that the BUS interface where my black edition is connected is at 2.0 x8 and not at 2.0x16. I tried resitting the second video card if the motherboard is prolly just not detecting it as @16. But that didn't work so I gave up. so if anyone can help get it to detect as 2.0 x16, please do! I really would appreciate it soo much!

Also, I'm still quite confused why my second graphics card is detected as my first. on idle, MSI afterburner have as GPU1: 300mhz/300mhz <-- (this is the black edition 6870 connected on the second slot of the PCI-E) and GPU2: 150mhz/150mhz <--(this one is the standard 6870 OC'd to 940/1150) on idle. Anyone has any idea?

More about : video card

a c 92 U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 10:27:29 PM

your motherboard probably has the pci express slots set up like that and probably only supports x16/x8 when doing crossfire.
Score

Best solution

a c 217 U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 10:32:21 PM

A lot of motherboards, mine included, allow you to select the primary PCIe slot. I believe it's best to use the lower one if they are right next to each other, so the primary card gets better airflow as it's used the most. Look in the Bios for a way to change. Assuming of course, you are connecting your monitors to the lower card, if you are connecting them to the card closest to the CPU, then that is the primary card, and your programs probably just randomly selected which to show first.

As far as the 16x/8x, that is pretty normal with most the newer Intel based boards. They typically cannot support 16x/16x unless you get a high end board, not that it hardly effects performance.
Related resources
February 1, 2012 10:46:57 PM

esrever said:
your motherboard probably has the pci express slots set up like that and probably only supports x16/x8 when doing crossfire.

Like i said, the motherboard is crossfire ready with x16 on both slots.. If i'm wrong, please correct me. i couldn't find infos about my mobo that it's going to be set up as x16/x8.
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 10:49:32 PM

hmm well it say its x16/x16 but running it at x8 isn't going to hurt performance so it doesn't really matter.
Score
February 1, 2012 10:52:06 PM

bystander said:
A lot of motherboards, mine included, allow you to select the primary PCIe slot. I believe it's best to use the lower one if they are right next to each other, so the primary card gets better airflow as it's used the most. Look in the Bios for a way to change. Assuming of course, you are connecting your monitors to the lower card, if you are connecting them to the card closest to the CPU, then that is the primary card, and your programs probably just randomly selected which to show first.

As far as the 16x/8x, that is pretty normal with most the newer Intel based boards. They typically cannot support 16x/16x unless you get a high end board, not that it hardly effects performance.

Yes, my monitor is connect on my primary/first gfx. So it's better to connect my monitor on my second gfx? isn't that going to get my 2nd gpu hot since its not as cool as the primary gfx (that is connected on the first slot) which has 2 fans to cool it?

Score
February 1, 2012 10:54:31 PM

esrever said:
hmm well it say its x16/x16 but running it at x8 isn't going to hurt performance so it doesn't really matter.

I guess it would hurt it as much. I mostly play BF3, and my gpu usage is prolly around 56%/58% each. Not sure why it isn't using its full load usage.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 11:00:27 PM

Many of the Sandy bridge boards are limited to 24. By themselves, they'd work at x16, but if you use them in crossfire, one of them has to drop down to x8. You have to buy a high end motherboard to get more lanes.
Score
February 1, 2012 11:21:09 PM

bystander said:
Many of the Sandy bridge boards are limited to 24. By themselves, they'd work at x16, but if you use them in crossfire, one of them has to drop down to x8. You have to buy a high end motherboard to get more lanes.

So my motherboard can't handle the full speed of the video card @x16?
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 11:28:08 PM

xs7v3n said:
So my motherboard can't handle the full speed of the video card @x16?

It can, but not with 2 cards at x16. If you took out the first card, the 2nd card would then run at x16. That is, assuming your motherboard is limiting you to 24 lanes for PCIe slots. This is common since USB 3.0, as it steals lanes.
Score
February 1, 2012 11:44:45 PM

As the other guys mentioned it sounds like the motherboard lets you set the primary pci-e slot and it's set currently to the 2nd slot. It's fairly common for some boards to only run in x8 with 2 cards. There won't be any performance difference so I wouldn't worry; if there is any performance difference it's something like 1-2% not noticeable.
Score
February 2, 2012 12:00:08 AM

I actually just notice this just now but when I'm on my desktop and not playing games but simple task like opening programs, or on the web surfing, GPU2 which is the one connected on the first slot and where my monitor is connected, GPU2 is the only one that gets used from those small tasks while the GPU1 is on idle and can only be used when on a full screen application such as playing games.

Thanks everybody, I guess I leave it the way it for now :\ ...sorry but last anyone has a problem having my second gfx card GPU usage idle on 99% when waking up the computer? it bothers me a lot that I have to open an application that uses both of the GPU to get it back to it's idle performance..
Score
February 2, 2012 12:09:06 AM

Best answer selected by xs7v3n.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 12:15:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!