Run MSI Twin Frozr 250 GTS with this PSU?

TechnicEclipse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
alright, i have a newer system that i built for just light video editing and HD movies. and well decided to do some gaming with it also.

my problem is i have a Logysis 480 watt PSU, which is fine for what my current system specs are. but i found a really good deal on a MSI Twin Frozr 250 GTS 512mb

and this is my current System specs

Phenom ii x4 960T (stock)
M5A78L-M LX
8gb Pny Optima (i know its overkill, but the person i bought it from mistake 2 2gb sticks with 2 4gb sticks lol, so i ended up with 8gb of ram for the price of 4gb)
Radeon HD 4550 (low profile) 1gb DDR2 ram
IKONIK case
2 120mm Blue LED fans
1 120mm None led fan
1 CD/DVD Burner/player
1 320gb 5400 rpm Sata HD

so can i run the graphics card with that psu?
(i also have a APOWER AGS 550 watt psu, would it be safer to run it with that??)
also if you need more info on the Logysis then i can provide that lol.

anyway Thanks for the Feedback :)

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
nope, no way. But then that psu is playing russian roulette in ANY system. The 550W one you have is just as unreliable.
Easy rule(s) of thumb:
-if it doesn't have an 80 plus rating, it's garbage. 80 plus looks like this:
80plus.gif
but can come in different colors.
-if it's really cheaply priced, it's garbage
-do some research if you want more info, it's readily available

So upgrade that psu before you touch anything else. Aim for 400-500W for a gts 250. An antec earthwatts would be my recommendation.

Also, a gts 250 is not really a good card for it's price. Look at this guide for better choices.

TechnicEclipse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

alright thnx for the reply.. oh and also im buying the gts 250 im buying for 60 bucks from a freind, so thats why i said im getting a good deal lol

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
if the 250 is relatively new, then that's ok. $60 is too much if it's more than about a year, i'd say. Gpus don't last forever and a new one sells for $80. (sometimes much cheaper when on sale)

edit: here's one for $65.
or a new card on ebay for $50, free shipping.

and yes, a twin frozr is better than the galaxy one but only cause it can oc a bit better. I honestly would pay more than about 10 extra for it.

TechnicEclipse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

well he sayed its less then a year old. he bought it new, and it didnt perform to his expectations, then ended up buying a 560TI right afterwards. also i think i might have got the model wrong. its a MSI Twin Frozr 250 GTS OC Edition at 1gb ram.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
^+1
rosewill makes some half decent things occasionally, but i wouldn't buy that, though it certainly is better than what you have now. I'd still say the 80 plus rule is still a minimum.

Also, the earth watts will last you years while the rosewill has a high likelihood of failing prematurely.

if you don't like the look of the earthwatts, you'll need to go more expensive. Look at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371046
This one should last a very long time. It also has enough juice to run a much higher end gpu, should you ever choose to upgrade and it's on a good sale.

Also the corsair builder series that kajabla suggested would be good. Some people had problems with it whining though, research first.

TechnicEclipse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Well i think im going to go with the Earthwatts one, i was impressed on how energy efficient it is (which is a plus). looks is a issue for me, but when it comes to the bank, or looks i pick the bank lol.

Also sorry for all the misspellings, you would think since im a senior in high school that i could learn how to spell better, anyway sorry.