Toshiba P505-S8011 - Replace Wireless Mini PCIe

jha065tot

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello, The only repair instructions that I can find on th web are for the P500 series. The layout does not match this P505. The Realtek wireless card, which has always been quirky, has failed. I want to replace it. None of the hatch doors contain it, so I assume that the entire bottom chassis cover needs to come off. But before doing this, I'd feel better hearing that it's the correct path. Does anyone have printed information or working knowledge of it? Thank you, Gary

Solution

Obnoxious it is. If you wait a while, usually the service manual will surface on the web. If not, and you feel adventurous. Just FYI, if you DO decide to take apart the computer without a service manual, take a large sheet of paper, and use it to outline the...
Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company.... not done that model yet...

But ..TAKING the bottom off may not help...it MAY be under the keyboard lol...

Try that first as the bottom is a BIG job.... or just use a WIFI USB dongle, they are tiny and will save you possibly wrecking the laptop....

All the best Brett :)

jha065tot

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Thanks to you both. I considered a dongle, but that means plugging and unplugging every time the laptop is cased/moved. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

But now I am even more puzzled. Maxx_power talks about removing the bottom and that it should not take long. But Brett cautions this due to possibly wrecking the laptop. No doubt this comes from real experiences in the repair business. Still, how can taking of the bottom damage the laptop?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well, I disassembled laptops a lot, from Acer to Apple. The general experience is that, if it is not coming off, look for a hidden screw, possibly on the other side. For Toshibas' my experience is that they are easy to work with and their design (in assembly) hasn't changed much over the last few years. Usually just a few screws from the bottom, a screw or two that holds the keyboard, remove the keyboard first, then gradually loosen the top with a pry tool (or your hands) and see if there are any more screws attached. It helps to open the LCD to its maximum to allow space to remove at the hinges. There may or may not be a few screws on the back side of the laptop where the hinges are.

Still can't find a service manual for P505 ?

Hi :)

Hehe..you made that sound simple, but both you and I know its NOT simple for an amateur....

OP use a Mini USB DONGLE ....they are truly tiny and stick out of the USB slot by only around 1/4 of an inch...like this one... >>>> http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=849&tbm=isch&tbnid=VuTImQ-MBZaVZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TENDA-W311MI-MINI-WIRELESS-WiFi-11n-PICO-USB-NETWORK-ADAPTER-DONGLE-INTERNET-PC-/190661958781&docid=wSF1YjX29bd1AM&imgurl=http://shared1.ad-lister.co.uk/UserImages/a829a7d8-173a-4df0-8f21-7fd654de5a42/Img/ten-311mi-pico/ten-311mi-pico-box.jpg&w=500&h=484&ei=MuIOUIGALo-WhQfN2ICoCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1647&vpy=265&dur=3923&hovh=221&hovw=228&tx=159&ty=119&sig=112995066009953939979&page=1&tbnh=124&tbnw=128&start=0&ndsp=58&ved=1t:429,r:34,s:0,i:179

All the best Brett :)

jha065tot

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Thanks again. I have built, modified, and dealt with several desktops. I know that a laptop is a totally different animal, but I'd like to think that I'm a notch above amateur.

To maxx_power, no, I still have not located a service manual dedicated to the P505. I was willing to buy one from Toshiba, but they will not sell one. They want all work to be done at an authorized service center because it's a laptop in question. I find that a bit obnoxious, but it is what it is.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Obnoxious it is. If you wait a while, usually the service manual will surface on the web. If not, and you feel adventurous. Just FYI, if you DO decide to take apart the computer without a service manual, take a large sheet of paper, and use it to outline the locations of the screws on the back of the computer by making a map of the screw locations. Then when you take out the screws, you can set the screws on the paper in the location corresponding to the actual location on the laptop to keep track of what goes where. A lot of screws will go into different holes and appear to work okay but the length of the screws depends on how much force it is designed to hold, and to not compromise the structural integrity of the machine....

Solution

jha065tot

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I appreciate the suggestion, maxx_power. Whenever I disassemble anything, I do pretty much what you said. But since paper can be moved--open window, fan, being bumped--I usually scotch tapae the screws and parts. For some jobs, I've found that a series of digital pictrues works well too. The 3-D aspect of the layout can be a lifesaver.

When I have some uninterrupted time, I will at least open it up to have a look-see.

Unless anyone out there happens to stumble on a service manual for the P505, this thread can closed. Thanks again!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Cheers! I do the same when it looks messy!