Cannablized Two Computers; 1 Will Not Boot

arblargan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hello everyone. Basically, I had two computers and I took the best parts out of both computers and put them into one computer, with the other computer getting the lower end parts. Here's a breakdown of what I swapped:

Computer #1 - Original setup before swap

AMD 965 BE
8 GB DDR3 1066 MHZ RAM
ATI Radeon 5970
500 GB 7200 RPM HD
ASUS|M4A785TD-M EVO 785G RT Motherboard

Computer #2 - Original setup before swap

Intel i7-2600K
8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM
Nvidia Graphics Card (Can't remember exact model number and it's not anywhere on the card)
1 TB 7200 RPM HD
Asus P8P67 Motherboard

------

So here's what I did:

Computer #2 - New setup after swap

Intel i7-2600K
8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM
ATI Radeon 5970
*NEW SSD boot drive
500 GB 7200 RPM slave drive
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard

This computer is working fine because I reformatted to put a new OS on my new SSD boot drive. However, the other computer I did not reformat because there are important files on that drive. The other computer looks as follows:

Computer #1 - New Setup after swap
AMD 965 BE
8 GB DDR3 1066 MHZ RAM
Nvidia Graphics Card
1 TB 7200 RPM HD
ASUS|M4A785TD-M EVO 785G RT Motherboard

The problem I'm having with computer #1 is that it doesn't boot past the windows start up screen. As soon as it gets to that point I get a BSOD (it's not up long enough to get what error code it is). Is there anyway to get this computer to boot up without reformatting and installing a new OS. What part would be causing the issue of the computer not being able to boot. Thank you.

Solution
The operating system tries to load drivers for the other motherboard, and it fails. You're better off doing a backup and a clean install.

I've read some descriptions a while ago, that swapping drives between motherboards could work, if you wiped off the drivers in safe mode while still in the old system.

torchwood_3

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Did u remove the Ati drivers if not ur in trouble. Try removing the graphics card and see what happens it will revert to intergrated and if it works its a graphic card issue if not is something else and ill have another look lol

arblargan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I know it's kind of confusing the way I put everything up there, but the HD that's in the problem computer is the same one that was with the Nvidia Graphics card, so it should have the same Nvidia drivers on it.

The only things that are in Computer #1, that weren't in there before are the new motherboard, RAM, and CPU. The Graphics card is the same.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
The operating system tries to load drivers for the other motherboard, and it fails. You're better off doing a backup and a clean install.

I've read some descriptions a while ago, that swapping drives between motherboards could work, if you wiped off the drivers in safe mode while still in the old system.

Solution