Easiest and quietist CPU cooler?

d4l3

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
My specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 640
MB: Gigabyte 77OT-USB3

I'm looking for a new cpu cooler as my current one is extreamly loud and temps go to 60's under load. I'm new to the hardware stuff so I just want an easy to install cpu cooler, one where I can take out the old one and just clip in the new one. Also, would I have to get new thermal paste and how would I do that?

drums101

Distinguished
I know that you said you wanted a cooler that you can just clip in but those are sucky to deal with and sometimes dont last long (the clips/pins that hold it onto the mobo)....here is a cooler that is cheap and works really freaking good imo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

it comes with directions but if you need help on installing it we can help....the only thing you gotta think about is; does your current case have enough room for this?

its a great cooler keeps cpus really cool and runs very quiet

oh and it comes with thermal paste

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Former user of a Hyper 212+ here, the instructions suck. There is a youtube video from Coolermaster that shows most of the install process, that is much more informational than the instructions ever could be.

And a nice walkthrough here http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/21525-coolermaster-hyper-212-plus-amd-installation-clearance.html

I read that thread and watched the video when I was installing it in both my intel and AMD systems(went from Intel to AMD when I had it)

Only if your case doesn't have a cutout in the motherboard tray for installing coolers. And the push pin type coolers sort of work best when installed with the motherboard outside of the case due to the force needed to assure its inserted properly. Yes you will need to remove the old paste from the CPU. 90% Alcohol works best. CVS and Walgreen's both sell 90+% rubbing alcohol, most chain pharmacies should sell it.

Cutout looks like this
detail_400R_CPU_cutout1.png

drums101

Distinguished
ckiffro nice links those are very helpful.....yea most likely you would have to remove the motherboard and yes you would have to remove the old thermal paste with any new cooler....to do that take some paper towel and wipe off the old paste then use like a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol to really wipe off the rest

d4l3

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
It's 30 Pound on amazon.co.uk so it's a bit out of budget. I was looking for something below 20. I don't think newegg delivers to the UK.

d4l3

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Looks good, does the alchohol, thermal paste come with it?

d4l3

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Even cheaper :). Do I have to remove MB with it and does it come with thermal paste and alcohol remover?

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
as far as alcohol, you need to pick that up yourself. usually $1 or less at a drugstore.

For thermal paste, Usually you will get some either pre-applied or a small tube with your aftermarket cooler.

Otherwise $4 or so will get you a tube that will last you many many many installs.

Find *some* kinda gadget or electronics shop around you if you really are looking for a deal.

Nope, you won't have to remove the motherboard, it comes with the clips to be able to use it like a stock AMD heatsink. And it comes with thermal paste, but no coolers that I know of come with the alcohol as well.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
The Freezer 7 is ok, but that Hyper212+ is a much better cooler.

I'm having a difficult time finding over the counter isopropyl rubbing alcohol in the UK though....is it a prescription only thing?

drums101

Distinguished
those are both good coolers..I have had good experience with the arctic freezer 7pro and I have had good experience with the 212+ the bigger bro of the coolermaster one...I would personally go with the arctic one but they are both decent coolers for the price

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
go with the TX3, the Freezer 7 rev 2 has some issues with the fan...and fan sensors.

Just a few examples
"Fan speed is erratic and all over the place. Occasional complaints from the MB about CPU fan speed at 0 even though the fan is running. It is low and comes very close to the memory slots. Needs to be higher off the MB. I've got another Arctic cooler and it works well. That was the reason for this purchase."

"Keep getting CPU Fan Error message every time I start up PC cold (when it hasn't run in over an hour.) The fan is working however that makes me pretty uneasy and dissatisfied. I'd also prefer a latch over a screw mounting system."

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012

it sounds though, that that is just as much of a deficiency on the part of that user's mobo to be able to control the fan as compared to the fan itself.

different fans have different operating ranges, including a minimum where it can be controlled. I would guess that mobo's fan control is set too low below the minimum to get the fan reading properly.

d4l3

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I've decided to buy the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2. Can someone please post a good tutorial for the installation?

d4l3

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

That only shows the intel version. Reviews on Amazon say that with AMD it's difficult to install the screws.