Sign in with
Your question

Bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2012 1:54:04 AM

Hi Forum,

Would someone be able to tell me if my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU for Battlefield 3?

I have a i7-950 (@3.5Ghz currently, ambient temperatures are high, any higher clocks will make CPU temperature go to 69-71 degrees during Battlefield 3 play (multiplayer))

I currently run at these settings if it helps determine bottleneck or not (i don't know):
Texture Quality: Ultra
Shadows: Medium
Effects : Low
Terrain Quality: High
Terrain Decoration: High
Motion Blur: Off
MSAA: x2
Post AA: Off
HBAO: Off
Avg FPS: 85 approx (varies map/player count/game mode)
Catalyst A.I slider is maxed to the right for Quality.
No Vysnc or Triple Buffering.
Hyperthreading is Off.
1920x1080p Single Monitor

I ask this because i have intentions of purchasing second 7970, or even a 7950 (since it'll save me like $200 AUD) down the track and want to know if it's even worth it (i intend on getting minimum 80 FPS with MSAAx4 on absolutely everything maxed/ultra- possibility of 120hz monitor or the 25xx by 14xx pixel monitor.

So am i currently bottlenecked by my CPU with my current setup? If so, how high of a clock would i require to,
1. Not bottleneck single 7970 in Battlefield 3 multiplayer
2. Not bottleneck 7950 CF/7970 CF in Battlefield 3 multiplayer

Thanks in advance.

More about : bottleneck

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 2:20:43 AM

You do not have a bottleneck on a single 7970 for.sure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 2:27:08 AM

With an i7 your good for another year or two before you have to somewhat seriously consider bottlenecks as a problem (Just keep OC'ing it).
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 3:09:34 AM

I just did some tests on multiplayer on Conquest maps. Results are varied.

Some of the expansion maps.. id b hovering at around 60 or so fps (with no MSAA on)
Turning on MSAA to x4 only reduced fps by like... 0-1fps. I tried it a few times to confirm lol - So i duno how to take that? - CPU bottleneck? optimization issues with map? (if such a thing) . But its good because i get x4 MSAA for a cost of around 0-1 fps drop (in those maps at least).

But most conquest maps (non-expansion ones) iv noticed (64player), turning MSAA from off to x4 only resulted in a drop of about 5-10 fps (this is when its at around 65 fps avg). It also caused my graph (render.perfoverlayvisible 1), to spike more frequently/bigger spikes - kind of bad sometimes.
If my avg fps is higher (when its 100-150) then the drop is more substantial, about 25 fps.

Also did some testing on another expansion map (conquest), Wake island, whcih was giving me a good 85+ avg fps with msaax4 on. Turning my settings to the absolute minimum (all low/off etc) and 480x640 fps only gave me an increase of arounnd 25 fps? (75 fps on ultra/msaax4 on 1920x1080 to 99 fps on low/off/nomsa on 480x640).

I was expecting a substantial fps increase going from ultra/high res to low/lowest res. Does this also suggest CPU bottleneck?

Any ideas/explanations?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 3:55:12 AM

No that suggests a lack of cpu bottleneck because more load on a gpu suffered framerate drops. An easy way to see is reduce your resolution. If your fps increases there is no bottleneck. Reducing your resolution and details takes load off the gpu and puts more on the cpu. That may be the max the cpu can run at but it doesnt suggeat a gpu bottleneck as when you have all the details turned up the load in theory shifts to the gpu. You can overclock your cpu a bit and see if your fps increases a significant amount.
Turning graphical settings up such as aa will decrease framerates and 4x the drops will be noticeable as it puts more load on the gpu
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:49:46 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
No that suggests a lack of cpu bottleneck because more load on a gpu suffered framerate drops. An easy way to see is reduce your resolution. If your fps increases there is no bottleneck. Reducing your resolution and details takes load off the gpu and puts more on the cpu. That may be the max the cpu can run at but it doesnt suggeat a gpu bottleneck as when you have all the details turned up the load in theory shifts to the gpu. You can overclock your cpu a bit and see if your fps increases a significant amount.
Turning graphical settings up such as aa will decrease framerates and 4x the drops will be noticeable as it puts more load on the gpu

Well, are you sure that no considerable change in FPS when reducing the resolution of the game from 1920x1080 to 1280x1024 or lower?. Because I've been having the same probs. No FPS improvement even after reducing resolution as well as some details in games....... Purely a CPU issue :ouch: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 5:21:52 AM

I would have to know your config but that is typically the way to tell.
List your specs
m
l
February 4, 2012 4:10:53 PM

config is Pentium D 3GHz, Asus GTX 560, 2GB DDR2.
Playing games GTA4, COD4 MW, etc. Due to poor performance in these games, afraid to go for higher games. DiRT3 at high but not at ultra settings getting about 25FPS avg.IN GTA4\other games, there seems not much of FPS when I switch resolution
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2012 11:10:48 PM

You are being bottlenecked by your cpu. Get a quad youalso will benefit from more ram
m
l
February 6, 2012 3:10:18 AM

FlintIronStagg said:

It's strange because some maps (so far its only been conquest maps), turning on Anti-Aliasing from "off" to "MSAAx4", literally only reduces FPS by about 0-1.

So 60 FPS with no AA, 59 FPS with MSAAx4... Any explanation for this? This has happened on a few occasions too. What it also does is make my CPU/GPU graph (render.perfoverlayvisible 1) more spikey though, but the fps is definately not decreasing much at all.

I was just thinking whether i should get a better CPU or another GPU to crossfire later.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:50:01 AM

Vsync?
Your drops are more and running spikier? Then the aa does effect it more
m
l
February 6, 2012 10:26:40 PM

I dont use Vsync, i have disabled vysnc and triple buffering both in CCC and ingame.

m
l
!