Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AM2+ CPU upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2012 8:29:09 PM

So... i'm looking to upgrade my CPU to max so I want the best CPU I can fit into the AM2+ Socket on my motherboard... My PC specs are here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...
And I have upgraded my Graphics to a ATI Radeon 4550 and I realized my CPU can't even handle Star Wars on lowest and WoW is on low with fair Viewing Distance and I only receive 15-25 FPS in Org... I have a friend with this Graphics Card and he pulls any where from 40-50 on all fair settings.... So my question is can someone please help me find the best CPU for the AM2+ socket and link it to me... price can't be about 120$... please and thank you.

More about : am2 cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 8:50:11 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-x4-9550-am2-2-2ghz-9...

This'll blow the socks off your previous CPU (I'm assuming it's a sempron?), not bad price either.

There are 95watt Phenom 9850s, dunno about 95watt AM2+ phenom iis, I couldn't find any of them but the AM2+ 95 watt Phenom ii quads are your best choice if you can get one.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 8:57:00 PM

All Phenom II CPUs are both AM2+ and AM3 compatible.
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:07:26 PM

lj1012 said:
Will this CPU work with my AM2+ socket on my Motherboard? it says AM3 on it..

No, actually.

Quote:
Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.

AND it uses DDR2 RAM, which an AM3 CPU is incompatible with.

You WILL need an AM2+ CPU.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:13:05 PM

lj1012 said:
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-2-2GHz-3x512KB-Triple-...
I found this on Amazon... i'm not really comfortable ordering used Computer parts off Ebay... Will this give me a big performance boost or should I continue to look around?

That would work, but see if you can find one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can't get one from there, obviously because they're not available, but that would be much better than that Phenom X3. You can also look for any of the Phenom II's on AM2+.
m
l
July 23, 2012 9:22:47 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
That would work, but see if you can find one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can't get one from there, obviously because they're not available, but that would be much better than that Phenom X3. You can also look for any of the Phenom II's on AM2+.

But that is 125 watt CPU and my PC Specs say only 95 watts....?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:25:04 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
No, actually.

Quote:
Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.

AND it uses DDR2 RAM, which an AM3 CPU is incompatible with.

You WILL need an AM2+ CPU.

Once again, all AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2+ motherboards. AM3 CPUs are also compatible with DDR2 memory, so you're wrong there too. They are compatible because they have both a dual-channel DDR3 controller and a dual-channel DDR2 controller, although only one of the dual-channel controllers can be used at a given time.

AM3+ CPUs are not compatible withthe AM2+ socket because they lack a DDR2 memory controller and AM2+ CPUs are not compatible with the AM3 socket because they lack a DDR3 memory controller, but AM3 CPUs (Phenom II, Athlon II, and Sempron) are compatible with AM2+, AM3, and AM3+ sockets.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:25:37 PM

lj1012 said:
But that is 125 watt CPU and my PC Specs say only 95 watts....?

Damn, you're right, I missed that part somehow, but I should have known better anyway... Well, that was a Black Edition so the non-BE AM2+ Phenom II's are 95W. You'll just have to look and see what you can find.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:30:08 PM

blazorthon said:
Once again, all AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2+ motherboards. AM3 CPUs are also compatible with DDR2 memory, so you're wrong there too. They are compatible because they have both a dual-channel DDR3 controller and a dual-channel DDR2 controller, although only one of the dual-channel controllers can be used at a given time.

The DDR2 issue aside, the board would need a BIOS update to be able to use an AM3 CPU. You can't argue that. That update may or may not even exist on that OEM board, never mind the fact that it clearly says "ONLY SOCKET AM2+ PROCESSORS ARE SUPPORTED ON THIS MOTHERBOARD". Yes, AM3 CPU's ARE compatible with AM2+ boards that have BIOS updates for them and fully support them, but that board almost definitely doesn't.

You're just being argumentative anyway (like I've seen you be before).
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:31:55 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The DDR2 issue aside, the board would need a BIOS update to be able to use an AM3 CPU. You can't argue that. That updat may or may not even exist on that OEM board, never mind the fact that it clearly says "ONLY SOCKET AM2+ PROCESSORS ARE SUPPORTED ON THIS MOTHERBOARD".

AM3 on AM2+ is not an officially supported platform by AMD, but it does work, like you said, sometimes needing a BIOS update. The OP's board can say what it wants, but unless you actually look it up online to see if anyone has tried it, you don't know. The board from one of my older systems also said that it only supported AM2+ CPUs, but my Phenom II 1090T worked on it nonetheless with the most recent BIOS for the board. Specs such as that are often simply not updated, even if they are no longer true.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:35:32 PM

blazorthon said:
AM3 on AM2+ is not an officially supported platform by AMD, but it does work, like you said, sometimes needing a BIOS update. The OP's board can say what it wants, but unless you actually look it up online to see if anyone has tried it, you don't know. The board from one of my older systems also said that it only supported AM2+ CPUs, but my Phenom II 1090T worked on it nonetheless with the most recent BIOS for the board. Specs such as that are often simply not updated, even if they are no longer true.

I don't deal in "may's" and "may not's", I deal with definite's when I'm recommending something to someone. I don't KNOW that it will work, so I can't recommend it, but you're more than welcome to if you want.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:40:21 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I don't deal in "may's" and "may not's", I deal with definite's when I'm recommending something to someone. I don't KNOW that it will work, so I can't recommend it, but you're more than welcome to if you want.

I didn't recommend it. I'm simply saying that it should be looked into before dismissed as an option.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 9:41:22 PM

Go with the Phenom II 955 suggested by Kamen_BG. +1 on that. Your specs on Hp's website stat that Pnenom II processors are supported up to 95W an that one fits the description. Also the Phenom II CPU's are supported on the AM2+ socket and DDR2 or DDR3 memory is supported depending on what is required by the motherboard. I have used the same Phenom II 945 CPU in a motherboard that has an AM2+ socket and in one that has an AM3 socket. AMD made the Phenom II's compatible with AM2+ and AM3 to allow users to have an upgrade path.
m
l
July 23, 2012 9:42:08 PM

As I said I am looking for a good performance boost that WILL absolutely work with my PC without going through hell and back with BIOS right now... So can someone with my PC specs above please Link the best CPU I can use right now... and please no ebay I dont buy PC parts off ebay...
m
l
July 24, 2012 2:01:40 AM

blazorthon said:
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-2-2GHz-3x512KB-Triple-...

That's an option. It's kinda hard to find non-used processors that are this old, so it might be hard to beat this without looking at used CPUs.

Do I need to buy a Fan or can I use my current fan with the new processor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 2:12:10 AM

If you buy the CPU new it should have the fan included. Otherwise, you can always get an aftermarket cooler which I would recommend anyway. Most of the heatsink fans included with the processor are only adequate for light to medium CPU loads. This is a excellent CPU cooler if you can fit it into your case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 24, 2012 3:03:05 AM

Ok and now my next question is how hard is it to install a new CPU? Is it just pop old one out and instert new one? or is it more complicated than I am thinking?
m
l
July 24, 2012 3:41:03 AM

ok so it seems like I only need to get the CPU the heatsink seems to only be for a new pc like if i was building my own.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 4:50:47 AM

The Phenom that I suggested should come with a cooler that is more than good enough for it, even at load. In my experience, AMD's stock coolers have often been adequate for the last few years even for minor to moderate overclocks, albeit they can get a little noisy and might not handle the same frequency on a similar CPU with more cores than the CPU that they were originally shipped. It's not like how some of Intel's stock coolers can't even handle the CPU when it's near 100% load.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 5:30:16 AM

lazyboy947 said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... - $40 Phenom X3 8550 AM2+ - must buy after market cooler, CM 212 Evo/Plus

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... - $99 Phenom II X4 945 AM3, comes with stock cooler

The Phenom 8550 that I recommended comes with a stock cooler and we don't know if the OP's motherboard has a BIOS that supports AM3 CPUs such as a Phenom II CPU. I've tried looking around Google for people whom have tried it, but it doesn't seem to be something that has come up with OP's pre-built computer.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 8:29:58 AM

Hate to be the negative voice but.... Why upgrade this legacy system?

The Phenom x3 8550 is crap ok it's an upgrade on what you have but its still crap its spending cash on staying outdated and the original Phenom lines were crap... something they fixed with phenom II.

You would be alot better off saving up a little while wait till that $120 is around $200 and get a cheap AM3+ motherboard, Phenom II and 4GB DDR3 RAM, reuse the old HDD, PSU, DVD drive, graphics card etc etc.

Least that way you have a current platform rather than just applying bandaids to an old heap.

As to the guy that advocates buying an AM3 CPU and hoping it will be compatible with a OEM AM2+ board...... thats not a smart move at all infact its downright stupid if things dont work enjoy your AM3 paperweight.
m
l
July 24, 2012 4:00:08 PM

A79-8550 :: AMD HD8550WCJ3BGH Phenom X3 8550 Processor - Triple Core, 2MB L3 Cache, 1.5MB L2 Cache, 2.20GHz, Socket AM2+, 95W, No Fan, OEM
$39.99
In Stock
Details
The estimated arrival date will be calculated when a ship method is selected.

S457-4000 :: Masscool - Thermal Gel Resealable Tube 4x Applications
$4.99
In Stock
Details

T925-1519 :: Thermaltake CL-P0503 CPU Cooler - 70mm Fan, Rifle Bearing, Socket AM2, AM2+, AM3, 754, 939
$9.99
In Stock
Details

That is everything that I am purchasing for the CPU upgrade will all of that be enough and give me a performance boost?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 5:29:31 PM

Guess my points fell on deaf ears

Yes that is all you need your performance will upgrade from "total crap" to "slightly less than total crap"
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 6:27:07 PM

wr6133 said:
Hate to be the negative voice but.... Why upgrade this legacy system?

The Phenom x3 8550 is crap ok it's an upgrade on what you have but its still crap its spending cash on staying outdated and the original Phenom lines were crap... something they fixed with phenom II.

You would be alot better off saving up a little while wait till that $120 is around $200 and get a cheap AM3+ motherboard, Phenom II and 4GB DDR3 RAM, reuse the old HDD, PSU, DVD drive, graphics card etc etc.

Least that way you have a current platform rather than just applying bandaids to an old heap.

As to the guy that advocates buying an AM3 CPU and hoping it will be compatible with a OEM AM2+ board...... thats not a smart move at all infact its downright stupid if things dont work enjoy your AM3 paperweight.

The Phenom 8550, compared to the Sempron in OP's computer, is a huge step-up. I don't think that OP is doing anything that needs more performance than a Phenom 8550 offers and really, they're not crap. They're not great, but they don't need to be. What would OP get instead, an FX-4100 that would be far more than enough, even if it's still not a very high end CPU? Why spend two or three hundred dollars (CPU, motherboard, and memory) on an upgrade that OP wouldn't even make good use out of? That would be crap. Upgrading to the latest just for the sake of upgrading is a fairly stupid thing to do.

Furthermore, I specifically said that it should be looked into to see if the board can run with an AM3 CPU. Since it is an OEM board from a prebuilt computer, it probably doesn't, so I decided to instead recommend a Phenom rather than waste OP's money. Even if it didn't work out, it wouldn't be a paper-weight. OP could simply return it or sell it to someone else. I never even said to buy it and just hope that it would work.

Also, Phenoms, although they weren't high-end for their time, were not crap. FX isn't high end right now, yet calling it crap would be wrong. Same thing here, except you're recommending FX despite this.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 6:33:00 PM

wr6133 said:
Guess my points fell on deaf ears

Yes that is all you need your performance will upgrade from "total crap" to "slightly less than total crap"

It doesn't take a new CPU to play games with a mere Radeon 4550, especially games such as WoW and Star Wars. OP might need a minor graphics upgrade more than a CPU upgrade at this point.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 6:50:35 PM

Actually Phenoms were crap they were plagued with issues that were resolved by Phenom II, DDR2 is now obsolete and therefore expensive and AM2+ motherboards are no longer made making those 2 parts expensive/hard to replace should issues ever arise.

I didnt say to the OP to get a 4100 either so learn to read. I recommended a platfrom upgrade to AM3+ with Phenom II. The reason for this is obvious to all but the least tech literate (a category I guess you fall in to). I will explain in simpler terms for you

The OP's system is legacy spending money on this CPU will NOT be a huge upgrade indeed these $55 are as good as this rig will ever beable to get. Should the OP decide to utilise most games made after 2010 e is going to start hitting performance issues and only remedy these with an entire platform change which renders the upgrade to this platform a total waste of money.

The OP could soldier on with what he has until he manages to save another $80-ish. He could then invest in a basic AM3+ or LGA1155 based platform either platform provides vastly more upgrade potential in the future before it will need replacing.

Spending $55 now to then likely spend $200 in the not so distant future is foolish your entire recommendation sounds like a 12 year old child on school holidays who is too immature to see past the next 6 months or more so simply recommends NOW NOW NOW.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 7:01:34 PM

wr6133 said:
Actually Phenoms were crap they were plagued with issues that were resolved by Phenom II, DDR2 is now obsolete and therefore expensive and AM2+ motherboards are no longer made making those 2 parts expensive/hard to replace should issues ever arise.

I didnt say to the OP to get a 4100 either so learn to read. I recommended a platfrom upgrade to AM3+ with Phenom II. The reason for this is obvious to all but the least tech literate (a category I guess you fall in to). I will explain in simpler terms for you

The OP's system is legacy spending money on this CPU will NOT be a huge upgrade indeed these $55 are as good as this rig will ever beable to get. Should the OP decide to utilise most games made after 2010 e is going to start hitting performance issues and only remedy these with an entire platform change which renders the upgrade to this platform a total waste of money.

The OP could soldier on with what he has until he manages to save another $80-ish. He could then invest in a basic AM3+ or LGA1155 based platform either platform provides vastly more upgrade potential in the future before it will need replacing.

Spending $55 now to then likely spend $200 in the not so distant future is foolish your entire recommendation sounds like a 12 year old child on school holidays who is too immature to see past the next 6 months or more so simply recommends NOW NOW NOW.

I had a Phenom for a while. The only issue was that until a BIOS fix was issued (and after that, a new stepping), they weren't compatible with running virtual machines. They would just blue-screen (or worse) if you tried to run a virtual machine. With the BIOS fix, this is not an issue and I doubt that OP will be running VMs anyway.

Fine, I misread. Regardless, going with a phenom II to run games with a Radeon 4550 is, yet again, a waste, especially considering the games that OP is playing. You can play WoW on a 2GHz Pentium-Dual Core from five years ago just fine. A Phenom 8550 is substantially faster than that.

This CPU is a huge upgrade for OP. Beyond that, OP doesn't need to buy more RAM, so the prices od DDR2 are irrelevant and OP won't need to buy a new motherboard (newegg just happens to have three AM2+ motherboard models, so that wouldn't even be a problem anyway), so that's also irrelevant.

If you think that OP will have problems gaming from the Phenom while gaming with a Radeon 4550, think again.

Upgrading now for only a little over $40 means that when OP needs to upgrade again, OP can then get a new system and upgrade it much later on, as needed. That's much better than getting a new system soon and upgrading it later. Considering that the Phenom 8550 would be enough for OP right now, there's nothing wrong with it either.

You also ignore the fact that there are much faster Phenoms than the 8550 if OP really wants a faster AM2+ solution, granted that may take more effort than they're worth to look for.

I recommended what I did because it was the better way to go. You accuse me of things, yet here you show yourself to be quite immature. Hypocrites are far worse than what they accuse others of being, especially when they are wrong anyway. Regardless, I didn't come here to fight, I offered up advice to OP and OP can decide what to do with it, if anything.
m
l
July 24, 2012 7:06:09 PM

Well I said above im looking to max the current system out... so if the CPU and things i got for it will work together and if it is about as good as i can get for this PC anymore then im going to do it.. I don't have money to blow right now im just trying to baby this PC along until i can build my gaming rig... So im going with the phenom x3 8550 and im sure it will be at least 3x better since it has 3 cores compared to my measly 1 core processor... Thanks everyone for the suggestions and for helping me out..
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 7:40:57 PM

Just throwing it out there for further proof, I run an AM3 CPU in an AM2+ board. It can be done but you usually need to upgrade BIO's and not all boards will support it.
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:19:10 AM

Best answer selected by lj1012.
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:21:06 AM

I bought the Phenom x3 8550 and seen a FPS rate of 15-20 in heavy populated areas go to 50-60 with graphics on high!!! thanks all for your input helped with my choice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 3:40:23 PM

Glad to help.
m
l
!