Need a new PSU?

ChRiZLE

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hey guys, im getting a second gpu - the gtx660 when they are released. I currently have a crappy raidmax 730w PSU, Iv had it for 2 years and its currently running the rig I have now perfectly. Ga-p67a-ud3-b3, i7 2600k @ 4ghz 4x2gb 1600mhz ram, a gtx 460, 3 hdds and a couple fans and fan controller. I want to use both cards by dedicating my old 460 to PhysX but from what i have heard these raidmax psu's are useless so i doubt it would handle another gpu, but im not even going to bother trying. Would a corsair tx850 be sufficient?

Thanks all :)

Solution

Oh my yes, that would be WAY overkill, actually, unless you were planning on SLI later.

A good 550-600W unit is all you need for that (still even a bit overkill).
I agree with trashing that Raidmax unit, BUT I don't really agree with using the 460 for a PhysX card. Yeah, you already have it, so why not, but honestly, the 660 will probably do a better job at PhysX on its own than the 460 will as a dedicated PhysX card.

Jakusonfire

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hey.

730 Watt should be plenty of power ... the limiting factor may be how many plugs you have on your PSU? It's hard to know but I would guess that the 660 will probably need two 6 pin connectors for itself.

Is it even possible to run a 460 and 660 together though?
I've never heard of that.

It would work (unlike SLI between the two), but it's not really worth it. PhysX works well enough on newer cards that they don't really need a dedicated card for it, and there aren't that many PhysX enabled games anyway.

ChRiZLE

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Thanks for the fast replies guys, im guessing ill sell that 460 and just spend a bit more and buy a 670. Would a corsair tx850 will be decent enough?

Oh my yes, that would be WAY overkill, actually, unless you were planning on SLI later.

A good 550-600W unit is all you need for that (still even a bit overkill).

Solution