Question About H.P. Printer Ink Usage

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 18, 2005 1:02:36 AM

I recently put a new #57 and a new # 58 color ink cartridges into my
H.P. 7960 printer, and printed about 60 4x6" color pictures. At that
point, the printer's red light blinked, and the LCD screen said that the
ink in both cartridges is low, and should be replaced soon, or the unit
will switch to back-up printing. This really bothered me, as 4x6" color
prints are supposed to cost about 35¢ each including ink and paper.
Here, the cost was about $1 each just for the ink!

How many 4x6" prints should these cartridges print? When I get the low
ink signal, do I have to replace the cartridges then? Can I keep on
printing until I notice that bad prints are coming out?

Thanks.

Morton
June 18, 2005 2:00:15 AM

"mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote in message
>I recently put a new #57 and a new # 58 color ink cartridges into my
> H.P. 7960 printer, and printed about 60 4x6" color pictures. At that
> point, the printer's red light blinked, and the LCD screen said that the
> ink in both cartridges is low, and should be replaced soon, or the unit
> will switch to back-up printing. This really bothered me, as 4x6" color
> prints are supposed to cost about 35¢ each including ink and paper.
> Here, the cost was about $1 each just for the ink!
>
> How many 4x6" prints should these cartridges print? When I get the low
> ink signal, do I have to replace the cartridges then? Can I keep on
> printing until I notice that bad prints are coming out?

A few years ago I read an article about Hewlet Packard's corporate finances,
and it stated that 70% of corporate net income came from consumables, such
as paper and ink. Does that answer your question? There's a definite
advantage to creating captive customers.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:22:47 AM

mort wrote:
>I recently put a new #57 and a new # 58 color ink cartridges into my
> H.P. 7960 printer, and printed about 60 4x6" color pictures. At that
> point, the printer's red light blinked, and the LCD screen said that
> the ink in both cartridges is low, and should be replaced soon, or
> the unit will switch to back-up printing. This really bothered me, as
> 4x6" color prints are supposed to cost about 35¢ each including ink
> and paper. Here, the cost was about $1 each just for the ink!
>
> How many 4x6" prints should these cartridges print? When I get the low
> ink signal, do I have to replace the cartridges then? Can I keep on
> printing until I notice that bad prints are coming out?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Morton

How much are you paying for those carts?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Related resources
June 18, 2005 5:22:48 AM

One is $35 and the other is 25, for a total of $60.

Morton

Joseph Meehan wrote:

> mort wrote:
> >I recently put a new #57 and a new # 58 color ink cartridges into my
> > H.P. 7960 printer, and printed about 60 4x6" color pictures. At that
> > point, the printer's red light blinked, and the LCD screen said that
> > the ink in both cartridges is low, and should be replaced soon, or
> > the unit will switch to back-up printing. This really bothered me, as
> > 4x6" color prints are supposed to cost about 35¢ each including ink
> > and paper. Here, the cost was about $1 each just for the ink!
> >
> > How many 4x6" prints should these cartridges print? When I get the low
> > ink signal, do I have to replace the cartridges then? Can I keep on
> > printing until I notice that bad prints are coming out?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Morton
>
> How much are you paying for those carts?
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit
June 18, 2005 9:45:53 AM

"mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote in message
>I recently put a new #57 and a new # 58 color ink cartridges into my
> H.P. 7960 printer, and printed about 60 4x6" color pictures. At that
> point, the printer's red light blinked, and the LCD screen said that the
> ink in both cartridges is low, and should be replaced soon, or the unit
> will switch to back-up printing. This really bothered me, as 4x6" color
> prints are supposed to cost about 35¢ each including ink and paper.
> Here, the cost was about $1 each just for the ink!
>
> How many 4x6" prints should these cartridges print? When I get the low
> ink signal, do I have to replace the cartridges then? Can I keep on
> printing until I notice that bad prints are coming out?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Morton

I don't know how many prints you should get but I thought the low ink signal
came on rather too soon on my printer so I kept printing until I got a print
with really bad color. I must have printed as many prints after the signal
as I had before it came on. In fact many prints after the pop up ink level
guide appeared to show no ink at all. I can imagine how much HP added to
it's bottom line by setting their printers to indicate low ink, prematurely.
I suspect a lot of users would change out their cartridges right away.
June 18, 2005 11:08:23 AM

You should get at least twice that.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:59:54 PM

"mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> I recently put a new #57 and a new # 58 color ink cartridges into my
> H.P. 7960 printer, and printed about 60 4x6" color pictures. At that
> point, the printer's red light blinked, and the LCD screen said that the
> ink in both cartridges is low, and should be replaced soon, or the unit
> will switch to back-up printing. This really bothered me, as 4x6" color
> prints are supposed to cost about 35¢ each including ink and paper.
> Here, the cost was about $1 each just for the ink!
>
> How many 4x6" prints should these cartridges print? When I get the low
> ink signal, do I have to replace the cartridges then? Can I keep on
> printing until I notice that bad prints are coming out?

I usually print tuil the colors start comming out bad. Some printers will
not let you print when the ink is very low form what I have read. Even if
the pix were $ .35 each you can get Walmart or another printer to do the pix
for you for less than that and the quality will be beter. If you want to
edit them before printing then do that and take them a CD in the jpg format.
You can even email them the pix and pick them up when you get there.
June 19, 2005 2:20:23 AM

Thanks to all the good guys for the nice replies. I print at home to get the
best results, including cropping and adjusting brightness. I also use H.P.
ink cartridges and H.P. Premium Plus paper for archival life of the prints.
Also, I can print any time of the night or day when I have a few minutes,
even multitasking the printing with other work. The advertised cost of 4x6"
colorprints at 35¢ each is reasonable, if true. When I buy the HP combopack
of #57 and 58 cartridges and 150 sheets of paper, the actual paper cost is
only 9¢ per sheet.

Thanks again.

Mort

mort wrote:

> I recently put a new #57 and a new # 58 color ink cartridges into my
> H.P. 7960 printer, and printed about 60 4x6" color pictures. At that
> point, the printer's red light blinked, and the LCD screen said that the
> ink in both cartridges is low, and should be replaced soon, or the unit
> will switch to back-up printing. This really bothered me, as 4x6" color
> prints are supposed to cost about 35¢ each including ink and paper.
> Here, the cost was about $1 each just for the ink!
>
> How many 4x6" prints should these cartridges print? When I get the low
> ink signal, do I have to replace the cartridges then? Can I keep on
> printing until I notice that bad prints are coming out?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Morton
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:20:39 AM

mort <mort@cloud9.net> wrote:
>Thanks to all the good guys for the nice replies. I print at home to get the
>best results, including cropping and adjusting brightness. I also use H.P.
>ink cartridges and H.P. Premium Plus paper for archival life of the prints.
>Also, I can print any time of the night or day when I have a few minutes,
>even multitasking the printing with other work. The advertised cost of 4x6"
>colorprints at 35¢ each is reasonable, if true. When I buy the HP combopack
>of #57 and 58 cartridges and 150 sheets of paper, the actual paper cost is
>only 9¢ per sheet.

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports puts the cost of a 4x6 print at
50 cents for an HP 7960, and I find CR to be more credible than HP.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net