I have a build with the following components:

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Core i5-2400
Crucial Ballistix 4GBx2
HAF 912 Cooler Master Case
HDD Samsung F3 500 GB 7200 RPM
Lite On DVD/RW
PSU Seasonic 620 W

I installed CPU, Heatsink and RAM. I installed motherboard standoffs properly and fixed the motherboard in the case. I powered on system and I get a menu asking to press F11 or F12 for entering BIOS. Does this mean that I can proceed with the rest of the build?

If yes, how to connect HDD and DVD to motherboard? I understand there is a data cable, a power cable and a SATA cable. How do I make this connections?

Solution
G
sata.jpg

sanirudh

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
How do I connect the front-panel headers to the MB? Is GND on header == -ve on motherboard header? I have to connect power switch, reset switch, HDD LED.
Also how do I connect the HAF 912 front fan to the MB? It has a 2-pin connector but my motherboard only supports 3-pin connections. There is an intermediate connection of 4 pins between the fan and the 2-pin connector.

G

go to http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3
and download the manual if you do not have it. page 40 shows the pin connections. usually the connections for the power and reset have a colored wire and white. the colored would be the (+) positive and the white being the (-) ground.

to connect a 2 pin fan to a three or four pin connection, connect pin #1 and #2; the ground and the power; ignoring the speed and sensor. the disadvantage will be the fan will run @ 100% w/o the throttling. make sure you use the CPU FAN header for the CPU FAN!

G

i guess i got for having no life and posting so much :p

sanirudh

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Thanks! I am installing Windows now, but I will keep that in mind for this weekend when I tidy up stuff some more and tie the cables properly. The 2.5" cage is making SATA connections to the PSU a little hard. I wonder how I will connect additional HDD in the future. Would I have to remove the 2.5" cage?

TRENDING THREADS