Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old, slow GQ comp

Last response: in Components
July 23, 2012 10:37:23 PM

Hi everyone -
I have an old, slow GQ comp i got from Fry's back in '04. It is real slow now, lots of freezes, sudden re-boots, etc. I'm sure most of you know what's happening and i'd appreciate your input so that i might resolve this. - Thank you -

More about : slow comp

July 23, 2012 10:40:01 PM

Hi :) 

Honest answer on an 8 year old machine....

NOT worth the effort , drop it in the nearest bin and buy or build a new one....

A modern machine will be stunning , speed wise compared to an 04 machine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l

Best solution

July 23, 2012 11:59:21 PM

If the problem is software related, I always advise cleaning your system of resource wasting crap and registry errors that build up over time. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry options both. You may need to run CCleaner more than once if your system is badly corrupted.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

There may be other issues that are plaguing your system, but that is where I would start.
Related resources
July 31, 2012 12:13:06 AM

Hi again everyone, thank you for all your responses and taking the time to do so. :D 
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:40:46 PM

clutchc said:
If the problem is software related, I always advise cleaning your system of resource wasting crap and registry errors that build up over time. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry options both. You may need to run CCleaner more than once if your system is badly corrupted.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

There may be other issues that are plaguing your system, but that is where I would start.

Hi, i downloaded/ran CCleaner and it really did help, and, i did run it three times to wring out all the crud .. Also, i went into msconfig and disabled a whole bunch of unused and un-needed startup programs which really helped. Thanks again, -Chris-
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:30:56 PM

CeeVee said:
Hi, i downloaded/ran CCleaner and it really did help, and, i did run it three times to wring out all the crud .. Also, i went into msconfig and disabled a whole bunch of unused and un-needed startup programs which really helped. Thanks again, -Chris-

Disabling startup pgms in MSCONFIG is probably the next best thing you could have done. Hope the machine feels more responsive now. Btw, here's a link to a place you can get advice on what can stay and what can go in msconfig/startup: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php Go to the startup tab's 'command' column and find the executable at the end of the pathname. It will be something like xxxxx.exe. Type that in the box and hit enter. You will get advice on whether or not you can safely eliminate it.
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:03:41 AM

Best answer selected by CeeVee.
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:19:55 AM

clutchc said:
Disabling startup pgms in MSCONFIG is probably the next best thing you could have done. Hope the machine feels more responsive now. Btw, here's a link to a place you can get advice on what can stay and what can go in msconfig/startup: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php Go to the startup tab's 'command' column and find the executable at the end of the pathname. It will be something like xxxxx.exe. Type that in the box and hit enter. You will get advice on whether or not you can safely eliminate it.

Thanks for your great advice, my comps are quite responsive now, both laptops run faster than when I first bought them, I am impressed and learning a lot at the same time ... I wanted to let you know when I attempted to download 'ComboFix', my temporarily disabled AVG program enabled itself with a bright red blinking malware threat warning: C:\ComboFix\REGT.3XE - Severity Level 4 - . So, a malware virus attached to an anti-malware program, huh ? .. I guess that is possible.
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:38:26 AM

So many computer problems, especially software ones related to a slow PC are best solved by reformatting the machine.

Especially if the same copy of windows has been on the machine for eight years, then of COURSE it's slow, windows rot has had fun with the machine.

You may notice small gains cleaning it up with registry cleaners etc. but the best gain will come from reloading the OS.
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:44:38 AM

CeeVee said:
Thanks for your great advice, my comps are quite responsive now, both laptops run faster than when I first bought them, I am impressed and learning a lot at the same time ... I wanted to let you know when I attempted to download 'ComboFix', my temporarily disabled AVG program enabled itself with a bright red blinking malware threat warning: C:\ComboFix\REGT.3XE - Severity Level 4 - . So, a malware virus attached to an anti-malware program, huh ? .. I guess that is possible.

I very happy to hear the 'clean up' solved most of your issues. People don't realize just how garbaged-up a system can get over time. And keeping your systems free of unwanted startup programs is just as important.

I've never used ComboFix... in fact, I've never even heard of it. But it may or may not contain a virus or malware. Sometimes certain programming techniques end up triggering a 'false positive' with anti-virus pgms. The best freeware malware protection I've found so far is Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
I use the pay version and keep it running in the background. (One of the few pgms I allow to take up resources). But the free version works just as good, you just don't get 'realtime' protection with the free ver.

For Anti-virus protection I use Microsoft Securities Essentials. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/sec...
Both the above pgms work well together. But if you decide to use MSE, uninstall AVG first. There's nothing wrong with AVG, so if you like it keep using it.
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:11:26 AM

protokiller said:
So many computer problems, especially software ones related to a slow PC are best solved by reformatting the machine.

Especially if the same copy of windows has been on the machine for eight years, then of COURSE it's slow, windows rot has had fun with the machine.

You may notice small gains cleaning it up with registry cleaners etc. but the best gain will come from reloading the OS.

Hi,

Actually, I started off with a cracked version of XP Pro back in '04, in about '08 it stopped receiving any updates and windows wouldn't open to full screen, just half or a little tab of window in the upper-left corner would show, and, slowing way down, so I had it certified 'Genuine Microsoft' which seemed to cure all of that.

Honestly, the CCleaner was the best free program than any other to ever work correctly and the first time on my comps, and without making me buy it half way through a scan like most freeware stuff available does.

Also, I learned how to delete and/or disable all that unnecessary startup crud thru MSCONFIG which really hinders performance ability overall I've now personally noticed, it was huge find that out ..

I have heard of reformatting, is that the same thing as doing a clean re-install that was suggested to me ? .. I'm not sure if any of my comps would need that now because I've never seen them react so quickly before until after the adjustments I made on them today. :wahoo: 
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:20:11 AM

protokiller said:

Again, thank you for your input, I really do appreciate it .. Btw, could you tell me the steps to reformat or do a clean install ? .. I am told the user has to re-install all the software back on the disk one by one and that it is real tedious. Does having only a 40G drive make it less tedious ? .. I'm kinda new at this sorta thing.
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:15:09 AM

Rule number one: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:23:44 AM

clutchc said:
Rule number one: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You are correct, sir ! :D 
m
l
!