Complete Upgrade keeping software.

melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So I have been thinking of doing an upgrade rather soon; with the Nvidia Kepler cards and the new Intel Ivy bridge coming out soon.
----------------------------------------------
I'm going to list the main hardware:
Phenom II x4 B50
12GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3
PNY GTX 470
HAF 932
Three SATA HDD (2.5TB total)
Windows 7 OEM
----------------------------------------------
I was wondering if I do upgrade my cpu and motherboard...will I be able to keep all the files and programs in working condition if I just pass the hard drives?
I know some people wipe all the drivers from previous hardware and do a fresh hardware install in the computer and it's worked for some.

I just want to make sure before I make the switch.
Thank you in advanced!

Solution
Best practice is to do a fresh install with a new Motherboard & CPU. Some people get lucky and only have to do a repair install, and that will save your data & programs. YMMV. Legally, since you have the OEM version of Windows, you should get a new License. If you tell M$ that you had to replace your MB & CPU due to hardware failure, they may let you do it without a new license.
Best practice is to do a fresh install with a new Motherboard & CPU. Some people get lucky and only have to do a repair install, and that will save your data & programs. YMMV. Legally, since you have the OEM version of Windows, you should get a new License. If you tell M$ that you had to replace your MB & CPU due to hardware failure, they may let you do it without a new license.

Solution