stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I don't know what exactly to name this, but my power brick for my laptop crapped out on me and all the power bricks where expensive, and im going to send my pc to hp to get it fixed/possibly the power brick. my old power brick was rated at 18.5v and 3.5a (64.75w) and this really ghetto power brick (can change the voltage, but pc wont charge (according to windows or the power indicator) unless its set to 18v, its rated at 4.5a (81w) is it safe to leave it plugged in at that amount of watts (they said not to so for now I won't) or if I turn the voltage down to 12 (the lowest that is below 65 watts (54 i believe) and the next highest is 15 (67.5). is it safe to leave it at 54 watts and have it plugged in, also if you know will hp replace a power brick?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
As stated above, the wattage rating is simply the 'capability' of the charger. The more wattage, the better its capability to charge. As long as you match the voltage and it can provide the necessary current (A) supply to charge the battery, you should be OK. That is, of course, if the charger is UL approved or some equivalent of same.

stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I looked it up, it isn't as strict as the ul, but most ce products would be ul certified, should I trust it though? I'm sending my pc in in a few weeks and I'll see if i can get a new charger, but i did do a ram change (it was with a professional certified HP person around, but technically not him, would that void the warranty, also can I trick HP into allowing it if i say it was him. This pc only matters to me 1 day a week every week and a few weeks each summer and a week for winter, so if It's really fucked up I have another laptop, but It's not the end of the world. But for now I practically need it, my phone dies fast when I use flash.

What is the charger you are using? Is it from a real company? I know antec had a power brick with selectable output voltages.

I see this is yet another case of HP tech support not knowing a damn thing, a 90W brick will work just fine with your laptop even if your old one was a 65W, the system just needs 18.5 Vdc to be available from the charger and it will draw just as much current as it needs, no more. My HP laptop replacement charger was a 90 W when the one it shipped with was a 65 W because the new DV 7 series came out and had 90 W chargers that still worked for my model.

As for the ram change, it should affect the warranty on the power brick or the laptop, just stick the old ram back in before you ship it back to them if you have to, i don't think there are any stickers or anything you have to break to change it.

stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

It's from nobutech, they seem to make allot of products judging by Google images gunna look into it further though

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'd go for it. My aging laptop's charger died and I ordered a 'brand name' replacement charger. It turned out to be the same charger as the 'no name' item that I passed on at half the price. They are all made in the same Pacific Rim country anyway.

stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Alright I'll leave it on, but i unplug it because the charger gets HOT, hand I don't trust it as much as my other laptops charger when running that hot, but then again toshibas run hot as hell

Power bricks in general run hot! They are electric transformers with no real way of cooling.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Then, it is probably not a problem. Those power supplies like that have no means of cooling. And the heat is trapped in the sealed molded case. Any cooling is strictly via convection thru the case. They normally get uncomfortably warm when in use. If it is hot when not in use (laptop is turned off), then you have a problem.

TRENDING THREADS