Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Temp Build for Later?

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2012 3:12:55 PM

Hello everyone.
As opposed to going right off and spending $1,500 on a last Gen titan PC I figured i'd save my money and wait.
Since Intel Ivy bridge and the NVidia GTX 600 series is being released this year, along with Win. 8, I thought I would save a ton of money and just build a temp. build until I can get a good next gen Ivy Bridge i5 and a decent NVidia 600 series GPU.

I decided to throw this together- http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
because the i3 cannot be OC'ed, i'm going to be holding that after market HSF for the Ivy Bridge.
Also, i'm going to pour some money into a decent SSD later on.

I only plan on using this temp build for some low-mild gaming such as WoW, CoD 4, Stalker, DoD:S, and so on. -Fairly easy to run games.

I just wanted to ask and make sure if building this temp build until later this year would be worth it.
So what do you say?

More about : temp build

a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2012 3:23:56 PM

I'd say save the $860.00 for a couple of weeks and wait. There is a good chance that the Sandy prices will drop some.
Also I assume you are going to "reuse" many of the parts in your proposed build. If not you are spending too much money for a build that you are only going to use for less than year.
April 10, 2012 3:34:48 PM

Chaz21 said:
I'd say save the $860.00 for a couple of weeks and wait. There is a good chance that the Sandy prices will drop some.
Also I assume you are going to "reuse" many of the parts in your proposed build. If not you are spending too much money for a build that you are only going to use for less than year.

I'll be reusing practically everything in that build aside from the CPU and GPU (Which I will keep as backup)
As mentioned before, all i'll be upgrading this year would be the GPU to a NVidia 600 series once they are all released, an Ivy Bridge i5, might buy an SSD, and maybe the RAM will be switched out for 1600's if I do want to upgrade it.
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2012 5:55:46 PM

Serrix said:
I'll be reusing practically everything in that build aside from the CPU and GPU (Which I will keep as backup)
As mentioned before, all i'll be upgrading this year would be the GPU to a NVidia 600 series once they are all released, an Ivy Bridge i5, might buy an SSD, and maybe the RAM will be switched out for 1600's if I do want to upgrade it.

Sounds like a plan! It would be really worth it if you'd turn your "left-overs" into a sweet HTPC. :) 
April 10, 2012 6:00:21 PM

Chaz21 said:
Sounds like a plan! It would be really worth it if you'd turn your "left-overs" into a sweet HTPC. :) 

I honestly was thinking about that and considering it, I might just do it!
April 10, 2012 6:00:33 PM

Best answer selected by Serrix.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2012 6:19:17 PM

Serrix said:
I honestly was thinking about that and considering it, I might just do it!

I think that's great! They are the future.
!