Sign in with
Your question

Advice on possible upgrade needed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2012 8:42:57 AM

Just a quick question on a possible upgrade path. I do play occasional games (SC2,WOW,etc) at 1366X768 resolution. I am not looking for a hard core gaming performance, but just a playable low-medium setting on latest games such as BF3, Skyrim, Rift, etc.

My current set-up is a 5 year old system:
E6100 1.8 Ghz dual core
LG775 gigabyte mobo
500W un-named PSU
7600GT
2 GB 667 Mhz RAM

I got very limited funds for now. I do plan to get a new gaming laptop with ivy bridge with a budget around $2k. But thats another story.
I live in UAE now. And I got a deal to get a used (2 years+) PSU + GPU (650W modular fujitek + Asus GTX 260 Matrix Edition) for 500 Dhs (~$135).

1. Is it worth to buy these parts at the given price?
2. Will the GTX 260 bottle neck my CPU ?

As a reference it costs 1000 Dhs ($270) for a Gigabyte GTX 560Ti here.

More about : advice upgrade needed

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 9:02:46 AM

barath56 said:
Just a quick question on a possible upgrade path. I do play occasional games (SC2,WOW,etc) at 1366X768 resolution. I am not looking for a hard core gaming performance, but just a playable low-medium setting on latest games such as BF3, Skyrim, Rift, etc.

My current set-up is a 5 year old system:
E6100 1.8 Ghz dual core
LG775 gigabyte mobo
500W un-named PSU
7600GT
2 GB 667 Mhz RAM

I got very limited funds for now. I do plan to get a new gaming laptop with ivy bridge with a budget around $2k. But thats another story.
I live in UAE now. And I got a deal to get a used (2 years+) PSU + GPU (650W modular fujitek + Asus GTX 260 Matrix Edition) for 500 Dhs (~$135).

1. Is it worth to buy these parts at the given price?
2. Will the GTX 260 bottle neck my CPU ?

As a reference it costs 1000 Dhs ($270) for a Gigabyte GTX 560Ti here.

Probably yes your CPU will bottleneck 260, but you will notice the big performance increase only changing the video card, so you can buy this kit, for the price (good opportunity) and check if the performance increase is enough for you, if don't, you can change later the other parts (motherboard/CPU/memory) and keep the 650w + gtx 260;

February 2, 2012 9:05:41 AM

your cpu will bottleneck a 260 i would think. unless you really need a laptop to be portable, for 2k you could build a PC that would max every game that you could throw at it
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 9:22:26 AM

A GTX260 will definitely boost your gaming performance. You may also consider a cheap CPU (LGA775 based dual-core/Core2Duo @ 3.0Ghz) upgrade path.
February 2, 2012 1:31:36 PM

Ok then, I'll go for the upgrade. Thanks for the replies.

I dont want to invest on a desktop, because back home I have a good rig. Moreover I am impressed by the Asus G73/G74 laptops. So I would get one of the new G75s when they release :D 
a c 261 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2012 1:49:48 PM

Yes, the gtx260 will be a good graphics upgrade, compared to a 7800GT.
But, the cpu may well be the more limiting factor.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

That said, I don't think I would spend much on a 5 year old pc.
When/if it comes time to upgrade to a modern cpu, you will want better than a GTX260.

You have a no name psu, and are replacing it with another no name psu, it does not sound like a great idea to me.
A bas psu can cause a lot of damage to everything.

It might be worthwhile to up that 2gb though, to extend the life of the desktop a bit.
!