Motherboard for AMD 3.6 GHz AM3+ FX4100 Processor

That part could be problematic, but it is a risk you take trying to buy an FX motherboard and processor.

For yourself to be able to do the BIOS update, you would have to have possession of a second working AMD processor of a non FX type (like a Phenom 2 or Sempron) that you would be able to insert long enough to do the update and then take it out and replace it with the FX chip for permanent use.

There is no guarantee you would have this problem, but it happens often enough that you should expect to face it if you are buying an FX chip and you can just feel lucky if you don't.

If you don't want to plan for a way to resolve this problem if you do experience it, then just buy something that isn't an FX processor. A Phenom 2 x4 setup doesn't risk running into this sort of problem.

I would recommend getting a 990FX chipset motherboard. Or if your on a tight budget you could get this 880gz chipset board, I have one and have used it with an FX processor so I know it will work without having to flash your BIOS.

http://www.flipkart.com/biostar-a880gz-motherboard/p/itmd4jvzyhcs4ehn?pid=MBDD4JVZWNRZHFRV&_l=sQAdpMbziS0EZ_yHohYGtg--&_r=4i2sGH4JnPfN3hq4fLvWpw--&ref=915d373d-bd57-4242-beab-c9df2b7f8c23

Or if you can get the extra cash get one of these..

http://www.flipkart.com/biostar-ta990fxe-motherboard/p/itmd5r9dcay9wvuf?pid=MBDD5R9DCRZ5UUQT&_l=sQAdpMbziS0EZ_yHohYGtg--&_r=4i2sGH4JnPfN3hq4fLvWpw--&ref=1c66c7f3-dcd4-422d-ab6d-c91d79a7a59b

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

i didnt understand what the problem is...

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

i saw some reviews about working it with fx4100... but they reported no problem ?
are you really sure about this ? the mobo has core unlocker and turbo key... so maybe overclockng wont be a prob... but idk..

Some motherboards were shipped before the FX was released and need a BIOS update to work with the newer processors .

If your board was manufactured after october last year then an FX 4100 should drop in and run perfectly . If manufactured b4 then it might not unless you can do a BIOS update , and to do that you need an older AMD processor to run it for a few minutes .

Y now I think you are probably safe , but if you install the processor and it doesnt work then you may have to buy a second hand AM3 sempron to use for a few minutes .before you on sell it

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

okay..... that would help....
can u tell me if this psu https://www.flipkart.com/antec-vp450-450-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz5xn9gpgtz?pid=psud5xz4ytubfjez&ref=ce9f3ec5-59c1-455c-bd3b-6755d6462500&_l=_V7KeIYhJU+lYZZS_eGQPA--&_r=ScwlGk8+i7MLVv2Gyc+0ww--

would work with this mobo https://www.flipkart.com/biostar-a880gz-motherboard/p/itmd4jvzyhcs4ehn?pid=mbdd4jvzwnrzhfrv&ref=ce9f3ec5-59c1-455c-bd3b-6755d6462500&_l=lpY8L7Q7yLUM5twXxInXjw--&_r=ScwlGk8+i7MLVv2Gyc+0ww--
and https://www.flipkart.com/asus-m5a78l-m-lx-motherboard/p/itmd4g9hz7vwatne?pid=mbdd4g9gxg7gazyz&ref=ce9f3ec5-59c1-455c-bd3b-6755d6462500&_l=JHQDeHm_5DJCWZti6Z5NZw--&_r=ScwlGk8+i7MLVv2Gyc+0ww--
with fx 4100

The Biostar mb is probably NOT compatible with the FX 4100 processor .
All other manufacturers AM3+ motherboards have the black cpu socket indicating they are compatible . Biostar may have done it differently but that seems unlikely .
Either way the ASUS is a better mb

The 450 watt psu is a good unit , and will work .
Everything is standardized . ATX is a specification so ATX cases , power supplies , motherboards etc always fit .
Your ASUS mb is micro-ATX [or m-ATX ] so it fits too in an ATX case and works with an ATX power supply.
An ATX motherboard wont fit in an m-ATX case though because the case is too short .

The ASUS mb has build in graphics and if you are going to use those then a 450 watt power supply is more than adequate . If you want to play 3D games you will need a graphics card and graphics cards might need a higher wattage psu

Contact the vendor and ask them for a recommendation for a board that does have an updated BIOS , or look at buying a second hand sempron for the first boot . Online auction sites might be your best choice

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
okay... but i still dont understnd y the biostar mobo wont work..... i saw a review saying that the guy used it with fx 4100

I happen to have that exact BioStar board and have used a FX-6100 in it with no BIOS update and it worked fine. Not sure why they used a white socket, it is rather misleading but it will work. I will agree that the ASUS is the better board as far as quality goes but it has an older chipset. The newer the better with the FX chip.

My thing is that you just don't really know when your motherboard you are about to get was made. It could have been sitting in a warehouse for a year or a day and you might not know the difference. If it only started being sold on day X that doesn't mean they only started manufacturing it on day X.

I would just include it in the plan that you may very well need that old sempron chip regardless of what precautions you take.

This is definately true. I may have gotten lucky and because I bought through newegg.com, they do a pretty high volume of sales. My board was manufactured late 2011. Wouldn't hurt to get a $20 sempron chip with your purchase in case you need a BIOS update.