PSU fan always at 100%?

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hey,

I'm coming here after 6 months of sending back my Corsair TX850 v2 power supply and receiving a new one (3 times now)

Each time I explained my problems (the PSU making loads of noise, more than any part of my build. Even when there are no programs running)
Seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRWizAhb7rI
And each time they declared my PSU "defect".

I happen to get a "faulty" PSU 3 times in a row now, so I was pretty pissed about those Corsair "quality" PSU's everyone is talking about.
But right now I'm thinking about other options..

Is it possible there are others factors making my PSU's fan seems to be running at 100% all the time, even when just browsing the internet or using Microsoft Office?
Faulty temperature readings of the mobo? Faulty mobo?

How can I determine what is actually bugging my system all this time?

Any input would be appreciated!

These are my system specs:

Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ
Cooler Master HAF X
Intel Core i5 2500K
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1
Sapphire RADEON HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition
Corsair Vengeance 8gb - 1866 MHz
Crucial m4 - Solid state drive - 128 GB
Sony Optiarc AD-7280S
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Remarks:
Right now I regret buying the Asrock mobo (faulty, USB 3.0 giving BSOD, BIOS is bugged etc), Corsair TX850v2 (returned it 3 times) and the vengeance memory (too tall)

Right now I'm suspecting the mobo, how can I verify this?

Your current rig even at 100% load will not pull 850w...so there's absolutely no way it can be at 100% load all the time.

Also I use the TX650m paired with a 560 Ti and X4 955, both use roughly the same amount of power as your CPU+GPU combo and I rarely max out my PSU.

I'm not too sure how to verify that your motherboard is faulty, but it's the likely the culprit. I just don't see how any of your components can max out your PSU.

kissingman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
mm..The case is very strange.But i don't think this problem was caused by mobo or other components because there are no data interface circuit between PSU and other components, and mobo won't send the signals to PSU. Usually,there is just one thermal sensor in the PSU, and PSU' fan only controled by this one.

There is a green cable on the mobo power plug. Unplug all the power plug of system components and PSU's power cable, then short circuit the Green cable and the any Black cable with a paper clip or other things(Be careful, Don't make any wrong in this step.If not, your PSU maybe burn out.). If you are sure no wrong with anything, just plug the power cable into PSU. PSU will power on immediately and, through it you can judge whether your PSU work normally or not.

The way i just mentioned is testing the PSU without any loads. Perhaps your PSU is fine under this conditions. You do better to make further test by adding some loads. For example, connect your CD-ROM to the PSU. Then, Power on your PSU to see what result you can get.

Hope this will helpful to you.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

I'm sorry, I haven't been very clear.
It is the fan of the PSU that seems to be turning at 100%, I don't know if it the PSU itself has a 100% load (probably not when I'm just at my dekstop after a fresh restart)

So the fans are turning full throttle all the time, producing too much sound for me to listen to music, play games etc with my speaker set without being disturbed by it..

I will do the paperclip test tomorrow, gotta get some sleep now :)

Night

Ahhh okay :) I got ya, try the paperclip method kissingman has recommended and get back to us!