Live.... Connection Speed Neccessary??

I currently have a 3 Meg cable connection through Mediacom,
and it works fine with no lag issues even when 2-3 XBoxes
connect to Live at the same time. I wanted to switch to DSL
because it would save me about $30 a month if I bundle a few
services. The best connection they can currently offer in
my area is a 1.5 Meg DSL. Does anyone know if I would still
be able to connect with multiple Xboxes at that rate without
seeing my connection lag?

Robin
12 answers Last reply
More about live connection speed neccessary

    "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I currently have a 3 Meg cable connection through Mediacom, and it works
    >fine with no lag issues even when 2-3 XBoxes connect to Live at the same
    >time. I wanted to switch to DSL because it would save me about $30 a month
    >if I bundle a few services. The best connection they can currently offer
    >in my area is a 1.5 Meg DSL. Does anyone know if I would still be able to
    >connect with multiple Xboxes at that rate without seeing my connection lag?
    >
    > Robin

    1.5 down is plenty fast...the biggest determination of lag is the upstream
    speed from the host...

    "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I currently have a 3 Meg cable connection through
    >>Mediacom, and it works fine with no lag issues even when
    >>2-3 XBoxes connect to Live at the same time. I wanted to
    >>switch to DSL because it would save me about $30 a month
    >>if I bundle a few services. The best connection they can
    >>currently offer in my area is a 1.5 Meg DSL. Does anyone
    >>know if I would still be able to connect with multiple
    >>Xboxes at that rate without seeing my connection lag?
    >>
    >> Robin
    >>

    > 1.5 down is plenty fast...the biggest determination of lag
    > is the upstream speed from the host...

    Thanks for the speedy response. The upload speed on the 1.5
    is 256Kbps (best effort), vs. 384Kbps (best effort) for the
    3Meg. According to PCPitstop my current DL is 1632
    kilobits. I couldn't test my UL speed because of my router.
    You never seem to get the full potential of your connection,
    so I worry about the 1.5 Meg connection handling all of my
    gaming. Also, I'll have to install a new phone line which
    runs $90. I'd hate to do that and then not be able to game
    the way I like.

    How many of you guys are using a 1.5 connection
    satisfactorily?

    > "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I currently have a 3 Meg cable connection through Mediacom, and it works
    >>>fine with no lag issues even when 2-3 XBoxes connect to Live at the same
    >>>time. I wanted to switch to DSL because it would save me about $30 a
    >>>month if I bundle a few services. The best connection they can currently
    >>>offer in my area is a 1.5 Meg DSL. Does anyone know if I would still be
    >>>able to connect with multiple Xboxes at that rate without seeing my
    >>>connection lag?
    >>>
    >>> Robin
    >>>

    >> 1.5 down is plenty fast...the biggest determination of lag is the
    >> upstream speed from the host...
    >>

    > Thanks for the speedy response. The upload speed on the 1.5 is 256Kbps
    > (best effort), vs. 384Kbps (best effort) for the 3Meg. According to
    > PCPitstop my current DL is 1632 kilobits. I couldn't test my UL speed
    > because of my router. You never seem to get the full potential of your
    > connection, so I worry about the 1.5 Meg connection handling all of my
    > gaming. Also, I'll have to install a new phone line which runs $90. I'd
    > hate to do that and then not be able to game the way I like.
    >
    > How many of you guys are using a 1.5 connection satisfactorily?

    I've been on LIVE for a few years now, and up until recently (when Comcast
    bumped up the DL speeds) have been using a 1.5/~256 cable connection...its
    perfectly acceptable for a single box, dunno about 3 though...I'd think that
    DSL would be a better connection as its not shared like cable...

    Robin wrote:
    > "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I currently have a 3 Meg cable connection through
    >>>Mediacom, and it works fine with no lag issues even when
    >>>2-3 XBoxes connect to Live at the same time. I wanted to
    >>>switch to DSL because it would save me about $30 a month
    >>>if I bundle a few services. The best connection they can
    >>>currently offer in my area is a 1.5 Meg DSL. Does anyone
    >>>know if I would still be able to connect with multiple
    >>>Xboxes at that rate without seeing my connection lag?
    >>>
    >>>Robin
    >>>

    >>1.5 down is plenty fast...the biggest determination of lag
    >>is the upstream speed from the host...
    >>

    > Thanks for the speedy response. The upload speed on the 1.5
    > is 256Kbps (best effort), vs. 384Kbps (best effort) for the
    > 3Meg. According to PCPitstop my current DL is 1632
    > kilobits. I couldn't test my UL speed because of my router.
    > You never seem to get the full potential of your connection,
    > so I worry about the 1.5 Meg connection handling all of my
    > gaming. Also, I'll have to install a new phone line which
    > runs $90. I'd hate to do that and then not be able to game
    > the way I like.
    >
    > How many of you guys are using a 1.5 connection
    > satisfactorily?

    As far as playing live, I wouldn't be too concerned with your down
    speeds, but your up. I think you need about a minimum of 128 upstream
    for each box so 256 might be pushing it for three.

    > "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> 1.5 down is plenty fast...the biggest determination of lag is the
    >>> upstream speed from the host...
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the speedy response. The upload speed on the 1.5 is 256Kbps
    >> (best effort), vs. 384Kbps (best effort) for the 3Meg. According to
    >> PCPitstop my current DL is 1632 kilobits. I couldn't test my UL speed
    >> because of my router. You never seem to get the full potential of your
    >> connection, so I worry about the 1.5 Meg connection handling all of my
    >> gaming. Also, I'll have to install a new phone line which runs $90. I'd
    >> hate to do that and then not be able to game the way I like.
    >>
    >> How many of you guys are using a 1.5 connection satisfactorily?
    >>
    > I've been on LIVE for a few years now, and up until recently (when Comcast
    > bumped up the DL speeds) have been using a 1.5/~256 cable connection...its
    > perfectly acceptable for a single box, dunno about 3 though...I'd think
    > that DSL would be a better connection as its not shared like cable...

    Actually Robin, one of my students games with his siblings with around the
    same connection and they have said that 2 Xboxes have minimal lag while 3
    leads to disconnects at times.

    Well that's the state of Australian broadband for you. We consider 40gb
    for $59 good here. But i'm not complaining. 40gb a month is more than
    enough for me.... just can't wait for that speed.

    Indeed you would. Considering 40gb could be downloaded in less than
    half a day at full tilt.

    Your plan is still pretty sweet. The Verizon Wireless looks ridiculous.
    Unlimited bandwith, dear lord.

    Up until about 2-3months ago the highest speed ADSL available was
    1.5meg. The monopolistic Telco here was (and still is) putting
    artificial constraints on our connections. Only recently have other
    companies been installing their own equipment in exchanges hence the
    improve in plans.

    snicolitsi@gmail.com wrote:
    > Well that's the state of Australian broadband for you. We consider 40gb
    > for $59 good here. But i'm not complaining. 40gb a month is more than
    > enough for me.... just can't wait for that speed.

    For normal use and gaming, I suppose you're right. I'm a bit of a
    compuslive download junkie. Damn, with those speeds, I'd need an extra
    terabyte of storage :)

    Right now, I'm at 5Mbps down/500k up which is actually kinda the
    pinnacle (if you will) in the US for most folks ADSL or Cable solutions.
    However Verizon Wireless is pusing out Fiber to the local loops (right
    to the doorstep!) , 15 down/2 up (unlimited bandwidth I would presume)
    for $49.99. Can't wait till that's available.

    "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >>I currently have a 3 Meg cable connection through
    > >>Mediacom, and it works fine with no lag issues even when
    > >>2-3 XBoxes connect to Live at the same time. I wanted to
    > >>switch to DSL because it would save me about $30 a month
    > >>if I bundle a few services. The best connection they can
    > >>currently offer in my area is a 1.5 Meg DSL. Does anyone
    > >>know if I would still be able to connect with multiple
    > >>Xboxes at that rate without seeing my connection lag?
    > >>
    > >> Robin
    > >>

    > > 1.5 down is plenty fast...the biggest determination of lag
    > > is the upstream speed from the host...
    > >

    > Thanks for the speedy response. The upload speed on the 1.5
    > is 256Kbps (best effort), vs. 384Kbps (best effort) for the
    > 3Meg. According to PCPitstop my current DL is 1632
    > kilobits. I couldn't test my UL speed because of my router.
    > You never seem to get the full potential of your connection,
    > so I worry about the 1.5 Meg connection handling all of my
    > gaming. Also, I'll have to install a new phone line which
    > runs $90. I'd hate to do that and then not be able to game
    > the way I like.
    >
    > How many of you guys are using a 1.5 connection
    > satisfactorily?

    uhmm..

    mediacom's upstream is 256 in mobile alabama where im at. where are you at
    where you get 384?

    snicolitsi@gmail.com wrote:
    > Indeed you would. Considering 40gb could be downloaded in less than
    > half a day at full tilt.
    >
    > Your plan is still pretty sweet. The Verizon Wireless looks ridiculous.
    > Unlimited bandwith, dear lord.
    >
    > Up until about 2-3months ago the highest speed ADSL available was
    > 1.5meg. The monopolistic Telco here was (and still is) putting
    > artificial constraints on our connections. Only recently have other
    > companies been installing their own equipment in exchanges hence the
    > improve in plans.

    sounds like no CLECs. We once had that problem here as well (back in the
    day). Now as the likes of SBCGlobal pushes for deregulation of price
    control, it may very well be like that again, but in a different way.

    What Verizon Wirelesss are you referring to?! Do you have a link cuz I
    haven't hear about that. I don't really trust wireless as a WAN/ISP
    solution yet; I've seen to many FUBAR implementations. FYI, I was
    talking about MultiMode fiber to your PC.

    Ahh ok. I was referring to the Verizon plan you mentioned above.

    "wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message

    > "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >
    >> > "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> > 1.5 down is plenty fast...the biggest determination of
    >> > lag
    >> > is the upstream speed from the host...
    >> >

    >> Thanks for the speedy response. The upload speed on the
    >> 1.5
    >> is 256Kbps (best effort), vs. 384Kbps (best effort) for
    >> the
    >> 3Meg. According to PCPitstop my current DL is 1632
    >> kilobits. I couldn't test my UL speed because of my
    >> router.
    >> You never seem to get the full potential of your
    >> connection,
    >> so I worry about the 1.5 Meg connection handling all of
    >> my
    >> gaming. Also, I'll have to install a new phone line
    >> which
    >> runs $90. I'd hate to do that and then not be able to
    >> game
    >> the way I like.
    >>
    >> How many of you guys are using a 1.5 connection
    >> satisfactorily?
    >>

    > uhmm..
    >
    > mediacom's upstream is 256 in mobile alabama where im at.
    > where are you at
    > where you get 384?

    I'm in Mobile as well; the 384 refers to Bellsouth DSL's
    Xtreme connection which unfortunately is not available in my
    area yet.

Console Gaming Connection Lag Video Games