Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Very very high i7 920 temps

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2012 1:28:20 AM

Hey all, first time posting here, I recently picked up a used rig from a friend who was goin into the service for a sweet 400 bucks, specs are: diamond hd 4870 1g, i7 920 lga 1366 @ 2.66ghz, msi x58m motherboard, around 6 gigs of ram, and he said a antec 650 watt psu.

When I first booted it up, I logged into his profile, saw he had some games installed (gave me his steam as a bonus) and I proceeded to download cpu-z, msi afterburner, hardware monitor and realtemp to see what kind of temps this thing was running, for he told me that it hadn't had any kind of extra cooling put in there. When I booted up afterburner, I saw the 4870 had been oc'ed to 790 mhz core clock and a 950 memory clock, and idle was at 45-50c and load was around 75-88 c. I wasn't suprised as he told me the gpu ran hot. Then I checked the cpu temps and I was stunned to see 70-75c at idle for all cores and around 88-100c when running various games (skyrim, fallout nv, bfbc2) but framerates where pretty nice at high to ultra graphics. Now I used to play around with overclocking a little bit, not nearly enough to do it on unfamiliar hardware, but I could tell that at 2.8 ghz with a core voltagfe of .992v and a multiplier of 21 it wasnt overclocked to warrent those kind of horrendous temps.

Sorry for the legnthy peice of writing, but does anyone have any idea why the cpu is apperantly running so hot? I don't know enough about it myself to poke around in the bios, although I did reset the settings to optimal defaults so as to make sure it wasn't oc'ed.

ps: I did notice a fair amount of dust inside of the case, only after I turned it off and examined it closely. But could that really be the cause of the temps?

More about : very high 920 temps

Best solution

a c 218 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 1:53:46 AM

That's unusual to see a cpu running at 100c because the thermal shutdown on all Intel cpu's is 90c , the bios should have automaticly shut that cpu down when it reached 90c.
I would take off the heat sink and remove the thermal compound and reapply some new compound and reattach the heatsink and make sure that the fan is running on it and that there is air flow inside the case. Also do a thourough cleaning of the inside of the case and the fans and fan filters.
How many case fans are there? You may have to add one or two.
July 24, 2012 2:02:37 AM

I thought 100c was strange too cause he said he had been running it at those settings for months. The case is a big antec 1200 ultimate gaming edition, I have spotted at least 5 fans on the thing.

picture of the various utilities:

m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 2:23:01 AM

I would re-apply heat sink compound and wait a few days for it to set , most likely the CPU heatsink shifted in moving the PC and its lost its goodness :o 
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 2:30:38 AM

I guess that the thing to do is the thourough cleaning and reapply of thermal compound , I would get some Artic Silver 5 thermal compound and apply a thin layer with a credit card or other thin plastic piece. It may be that the thermal compound that is on there is not very good.
m
l
July 25, 2012 2:16:26 AM

When cleaning the old thermal paste off the cpu should i remove it from the motherboard and case? Or is it safe to clean with isopropyl while it's still inside?
m
l
July 25, 2012 2:22:37 AM

Hello I have a i7-920 too, I use coretemp to monitor my CPU heat, my idle temp is 39-45c playing games can reach to 85c i already applied a new thermal paste and bought a X6 CoolerMaster Heatsink, I think the Processor itself is hot, I mean our first gen i7s

My computer has been around since 2009, only this year I've become more aware about computers. I'm pretty sure your processor is built to withstand that much heat, because im guessing that my temp were around 00c for the past 3years prior i bought the X6
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
July 25, 2012 2:33:06 AM

alex1138p said:
When cleaning the old thermal paste off the cpu should i remove it from the motherboard and case? Or is it safe to clean with isopropyl while it's still inside?

If you use alcohol swabs it is safe to clean the CPU while it is still installed in the motherboard socket. Use the swabs sparingly. In case you have any concerns about doing it this way, take the CPU out from the socket carefully, and then clean it using alcohol swabs.

My overclocked i7-920 recently started to run hotter than before - 50 degrees instead of the former 40 degrees, To solve this, I cleaned off the dust from the heatsink fins, and from the inside of the computer. Then I restarted the computer, entered the BIOS and set the CPU_FAN speed higher (but well within limits). This dropped the temps back to 45 degrees C.

(My heatsink fins are oxidizing and thereby reducing their efficiency). Almost 3 years in use. Summer ambient temps are higher than winter ambient temps. - this too has an effect on CPU temps.
m
l
July 25, 2012 4:34:11 PM

Best answer selected by alex1138p.
m
l
July 25, 2012 4:37:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated the quick responses. Idle temps are between 40-47c and load on skyrim with a enb is around 60-70c after I put some new paste on and cleaned all screens, fans and hardware of dust. You wouldn't believe how much grim was on the heatsink fan, that *** was all over the place while cleaning! A+ website, great help from knowledgeable people.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
July 25, 2012 5:02:22 PM

inzone said:
That's unusual to see a cpu running at 100c because the thermal shutdown on all Intel cpu's is 90c , the bios should have automaticly shut that cpu down when it reached 90c.

Most current Intel CPUs actually have a 95-97C TJmax except for Ivy Bridge CPUs on which Intel bumped it to 105C. The CPUs may start doing thermal throttling before then but therm_trip forced shutdown should not occur before CPUs reach that limit.
m
l
July 25, 2012 10:36:12 PM

After running games for about an hour the cpu temps go back up to 80-88c. Is the stock hs underperforming? What other cooling options are their without going into a 200+ dollar wc setup?
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
July 26, 2012 4:35:00 AM

alex1138p said:
Is the stock hs underperforming?

The stock HSF practically represents the lowest performance cooling required to meet warranty requirements, it gets outperformed by almost any half-decent aftermarket HSF on the market, usually by a very large (10-20C) margin.

On average, a $30 HSF like the CM Hyper 212+ beats Intel's stock HSF by 15C.
m
l
!