Sign in with
Your question

Less Heat GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2012 1:47:01 PM

In 2008 I sprung for what then was a good graphics card a ZOTAC (Nvidia) GTX280. It has gotten a little long in the tooth, but still plays the games I buy. However I just recently ran into a heat problem with my setup and am looking to do a small upgrade and at the same time have a GPU that generates less heat. I would like a recommendation for a new card that does a bit better than the GTX280 but generates less heat. Surely since '08 there is something out there better/faster (maybe even cheaper) that doesn't create so much heat?

Thanks

More about : heat gpu

February 2, 2012 1:57:13 PM

DOH! realized I didn't give you enough info about my setup - Currently I have ASUS P5E3 Premium board with a 9550 CPU and 8 GB of Corsair DDR3 memory two WD veloco raptor 300 GB drives - ANTEC 900 case associated optical drives and a SSD on the way. This setup is running fine (but hot) for the games I play WOW, SWKOTR, SKYRIM et al). Upgrading to new mobo and cpu later in the year after ivy bridge comes out - will likely carry forward the new card for a year or so...

Dienekes78 said:
In 2008 I sprung for what then was a good graphics card a ZOTAC (Nvidia) GTX280. It has gotten a little long in the tooth, but still plays the games I buy. However I just recently ran into a heat problem with my setup and am looking to do a small upgrade and at the same time have a GPU that generates less heat. I would like a recommendation for a new card that does a bit better than the GTX280 but generates less heat. Surely since '08 there is something out there better/faster (maybe even cheaper) that doesn't create so much heat?

Thanks

m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 1:57:47 PM

How much are you looking to spend. and please please please Say you want NVIDIA not AMD. Otherwise your gonna get a bunch of people posting some Blue PCB 6850 thats not even the best 6850 to get.....Well Also what is your mobo and PSU so we can know what you can support (SLI)
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2012 2:00:32 PM

im not a cheer leader for either camp, and i hardly concider a 6850 a performance card. id rather sell my body for a few extra bucks and get something higher.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 2:02:31 PM

Oops sorry just saw you added specs. I still need your PSU. What Power Supply do you have. However i don't recommend multiple gpu's on that board. So temps are gonna be happier for you. I have 2 GTX 560 ti's. If you can afford a GTX 560 ti 448 core. You'd be set for a few more years maybe
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 2:08:35 PM

Dienekes78 said:

Thanks

You can go for 460, 560, 560ti up to here they are all under 280$ assuming you wan't something at close price with 280;

Just make sure you get from a reseller with a good cooling system, if the heat is the problem;

With time also there may be lots of dust insite your gpu, try cleaning that, may lower the heat also.
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:13:36 PM

Well, would like to keep under the $350 price point if I can, as I expect the card to only carry me for a year or so. When Ivy bridge is released. I plan on moving to one of the higher end ASUS mobo's with a 1155 series chip something like son-of-the i5 2500K in an Ivy bridge CPU. I'd hope to reuse the card for 6 months or so - my build philosophy is a rolling upgrades and have about gotten my mileage out of the Q9550 and Nvidia GTX280. As to preferences of vendor, I am not enough or a hardware kahuna to make a valid choice. I come here and let those who know more explain why I need a 1155 socket etc. For this purchase, I want something better/faster/cheaper that generates less heat - I could do Mongolian barbeque on the GTX 280 - even had to up the PSU from Corsair 750 I originally specked to an ANTEC 1000) – sure the heck don’t want to have to go to water cooling this is just a simple higher end gaming setup to keep up with the game releases.. And as is likely obvious, I know enough to build a system but not spec one.
m
l
a c 268 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 2:15:51 PM

1) Do not be too alarmed with high temperatures. A graphics card does run hot, but is designed to tolerate it. Both the cpu and graphics cards will downclock themselves to protect themselves if necessary.

2) What has recently changed that has caused an increase in heat? Perhaps you need to clean the dust from your pc, and the video card.

3) More current graphics cards will run cooler than your GTX280. If you can wait a bit, there is a new generation of cards coming. The new 28nm 7xxx series cards from amd do run cooler, and the high end 7970 and 7950 are available now. The 28nm cards from nvidia should do the same when they arrive in April(?). I suspect that with the pressure from ams and the 7xxx cards, nvidia will bust their guts to get an answer out sooner than later.
m
l
a c 363 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 2:48:28 PM

It seems you start still satisfied with the performance of the GTX 280 even though it is getting old. I would consider cleaning the GTX 280 and applying a new layer of thermal paste on top of cleaning out your PC of any dust.

That way you can wait for newer Radeon HD 78xx cards that will be in your range, or wait until the GTX 6xx series to be released.

m
l
February 2, 2012 2:51:46 PM

The answer to number 2 is that has always run hot. Just recently had a CPU fan seize which was casuing all sorts of problems, so I decided to make an effort to reduce heat, overall - the 4 fans in the ANTEC 900 case help some and ofcourse a working CPU fan is a must. Just decided that as I do my rolling upgrades to try and choose components that (given other things are same/similar) create less heat. I do open the case every 6 months or so and clean out dust/cat hair etc. But that card was a very hot card from the beginning. Thanks for the tip on the upcoming 28nm cards release - April isn't that far off. Just looking for cool price/performance....

Thanks all for replies I think I know what to choose assuming I don't wait till April.

geofelt said:
1) Do not be too alarmed with high temperatures. A graphics card does run hot, but is designed to tolerate it. Both the cpu and graphics cards will downclock themselves to protect themselves if necessary.

2) What has recently changed that has caused an increase in heat? Perhaps you need to clean the dust from your pc, and the video card.

3) More current graphics cards will run cooler than your GTX280. If you can wait a bit, there is a new generation of cards coming. The new 28nm 7xxx series cards from amd do run cooler, and the high end 7970 and 7950 are available now. The 28nm cards from nvidia should do the same when they arrive in April(?). I suspect that with the pressure from ams and the 7xxx cards, nvidia will bust their guts to get an answer out sooner than later.

m
l
February 2, 2012 3:15:39 PM

Rockdpm said:
How much are you looking to spend. and please please please Say you want NVIDIA not AMD. Otherwise your gonna get a bunch of people posting some Blue PCB 6850 thats not even the best 6850 to get.....Well Also what is your mobo and PSU so we can know what you can support (SLI)

Logic FAILED ^
m
l
February 2, 2012 3:18:33 PM

If you want a cool running GPU that's powerful defiantly wait for the Radeons 78xx tho 6870 has more jam than your GTX 280 and runs very cool and is cheap and powerful.
m
l
!