Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

UPDATED: Need some advice/opinions on my build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 10, 2012 5:29:45 PM

Hey all.

I have come up with the build you can see at the link below, but I am not experienced with pc builds so i'd like some opinions/advice on whether or not my build is good... e.g. maybe theres a much better PSU for £20 more that you know of? any input would be greatly appreciated :) 

PC build on Scans website (Saved basket): http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/253d9c164f0d4fe991686...

Note: I have 3 cases in my saved basket because I don't know which of them to choose, maybe someone can help me decide? :) 

Also, can anyone recommend a cooler as good as the CM 212+? both versions aren't in stock at the moment




I have included the "How to ask for new build advice" template below.




Approximate Purchase Date: This week hopefully

Budget Range: £1000, can go slightly higher if needed

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, music, browsing the net

Parts Not Required: Need all, even a gaming keyboard/mouse if anyone can recommend any? :) 

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any well known site...preferably the one with the best deals would be great :) 

Country: UK

Parts Preferences: I prefer Nvidia to ATI/AMD as I have had a lot of trouble with updating drivers and getting blue screens with their products, is this a common problem with ATI/AMD? maybe I just had faulty products

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not unless highly recommended

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

Really appreciate any help! :) 
April 10, 2012 5:49:31 PM

Don't understand what you're asking.
Why can't you follow the links provided by those who answered your original thread?
April 10, 2012 6:34:52 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Don't understand what you're asking.
Why can't you follow the links provided by those who answered your original thread?


Sorry if I wasn't clear, i'm just looking for opinions/advice on what I have chosen. I am following the links provided by others as we speak and researching to make sure I get the best bang for my buck.
Related resources
April 10, 2012 6:37:26 PM

Saved basket link isn't working.
April 10, 2012 8:05:10 PM

Hey Ryan, you need to fix the link to the basket. Copy it directly from the site, not from the last thread. https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.... Here's the fixed link.

I would suggest the i5-2500k. It's much cheaper but provides identical performance in gaming. Check out the benchmarks! http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288&i=60.... In gaming specifically, the i5 and i7 are neck and neck.

Also check out Modular power supplies, find out if that's something you would like. I personally don't build without them, they are such a time saver and really do cut down on hassle. Your call though.

Again, check out some different cases. Corsair 400R, CM HAF 922 and Storm Scout, NZXT Phantom 410. All excellent cases with different designs. I don't like the Antec 902, poor cable management.

Check out a board with more options, preferably one with 8x/8x SLI in case you wanna go with a second video card in the future. Which by the way, that GTX 580 needs to be swapped to a 7870.

That's the short list, thanks for the additional info.
April 11, 2012 11:33:01 AM

Pezcore27 said:
Saved basket link isn't working.


Sorry about that, fixed it now thanks to Striker :) 
April 11, 2012 11:44:27 AM

striker410 said:
Hey Ryan, you need to fix the link to the basket. Copy it directly from the site, not from the last thread. https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.... Here's the fixed link.

I would suggest the i5-2500k. It's much cheaper but provides identical performance in gaming. Check out the benchmarks! http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288&i=60.... In gaming specifically, the i5 and i7 are neck and neck.

Also check out Modular power supplies, find out if that's something you would like. I personally don't build without them, they are such a time saver and really do cut down on hassle. Your call though.

Again, check out some different cases. Corsair 400R, CM HAF 922 and Storm Scout, NZXT Phantom 410. All excellent cases with different designs. I don't like the Antec 902, poor cable management.

Check out a board with more options, preferably one with 8x/8x SLI in case you wanna go with a second video card in the future. Which by the way, that GTX 580 needs to be swapped to a 7870.

That's the short list, thanks for the additional info.



Hey, thanks very much for your help! I will be taking your advice with the 7870, a modular power supply, and I really like the look of the CM HAF 922, is this a good case to handle dust? my house is fairly dusty with 5 pets! :lol: 

I have also been looking at this motherboard: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z68xp-ud3p-i...(x16)-atx - it says it supports SLI/Crossfire but i'm not sure what 8x/8x SLI/Crossfire is, could you expand on that please? :)  I also noticed it doesn't have "on board graphics" but i'm not sure what that is either, I assumed it was some kind of integrated graphics, am I right?

Thanks again

April 11, 2012 3:35:28 PM

Anyone know why I cant edit my first post?

EDIT: Nevermind, had to use quick edit instead of edit :) 
April 11, 2012 3:51:31 PM

The HAF 922 is an excellent case. If you have a high dust enviroment, it may not be the right pick. It could easily be configured to have positive air pressure though. Check out this page: http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_... Gives some really good info on how to configure a case for positive air pressure, which you would want since you have a dusty house.

That's a great motherboard! Let me elaborate on the 8x/8x comment, as well as what SLI/Crossfire is.

8x/8x refers to PCI-E bandwidth. A PCI-E 2.0 slot, the one you stick graphics in and what not, come default with a x16 lane. This means it's total bandwidth is 16GB/s (or something like that, I don't remember specifics.) which is alot of bandwidth. So, normally all PCI-E slots would be x16. However Intel's Sandy Bridge processors only have the capability to support about 20GB/s. This means that you can't have 2 x16 slots!

What manufacturers have done is split that up between the slots. You'll usually see two configurations: 16x/4x, and 8x/8x, with each number supporting a PCI-E slot. 16x/4x is bad because 4GB/s is not enough for modern graphics, whereas 8GB/s is plenty. Therefore if you want to ever run dual video cards, you want something with 8x/8x or above.

Now, I see you don't want to run dual video cards, so this doesn't really apply :p  However if you want to keep the option, I would suggest getting a board with 8x/8x lanes.

Crossfire and SLI are basically just dual-card configurations. Most people don't use them. I however like to leave builds open ended, so in 3 years when your system isn't cutting it anymore you can pop another video card in.

I also see you prefer Nvidia over AMD because of driver issues. Unfortunately AMD has the best cards right now. But, I have always used AMD and never had a problem. Back in the 4xxx and 5xxx series they did have crap drivers. They've really improved since then.

Hopefully that gives you some information to digest :) 
April 11, 2012 7:15:59 PM

striker410 said:
The HAF 922 is an excellent case. If you have a high dust enviroment, it may not be the right pick. It could easily be configured to have positive air pressure though. Check out this page: http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_... Gives some really good info on how to configure a case for positive air pressure, which you would want since you have a dusty house.

That's a great motherboard! Let me elaborate on the 8x/8x comment, as well as what SLI/Crossfire is.

8x/8x refers to PCI-E bandwidth. A PCI-E 2.0 slot, the one you stick graphics in and what not, come default with a x16 lane. This means it's total bandwidth is 16GB/s (or something like that, I don't remember specifics.) which is alot of bandwidth. So, normally all PCI-E slots would be x16. However Intel's Sandy Bridge processors only have the capability to support about 20GB/s. This means that you can't have 2 x16 slots!

What manufacturers have done is split that up between the slots. You'll usually see two configurations: 16x/4x, and 8x/8x, with each number supporting a PCI-E slot. 16x/4x is bad because 4GB/s is not enough for modern graphics, whereas 8GB/s is plenty. Therefore if you want to ever run dual video cards, you want something with 8x/8x or above.

Now, I see you don't want to run dual video cards, so this doesn't really apply :p  However if you want to keep the option, I would suggest getting a board with 8x/8x lanes.

Crossfire and SLI are basically just dual-card configurations. Most people don't use them. I however like to leave builds open ended, so in 3 years when your system isn't cutting it anymore you can pop another video card in.

I also see you prefer Nvidia over AMD because of driver issues. Unfortunately AMD has the best cards right now. But, I have always used AMD and never had a problem. Back in the 4xxx and 5xxx series they did have crap drivers. They've really improved since then.

Hopefully that gives you some information to digest :) 



Hey, thanks again for all the detailed information and help, I understand everything you explained now :)  and that page you linked has some really nice information which will help me, so thanks again for that.

Since you've always used AMD and never had a problem that leads me to believe my old AMD graphics cards were faulty, so i've decided to get the 7870 as it is cheaper and better :) 

!