1000w ps
themoaltake chaser mk-1

i like nvidia cuz of physx and driver friendly
but i heard ati is better.

any suggestion which card? and what brand? thx

More about : purchasing card

a c 175 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 1:49:49 PM

You can get yourself an HD 7970, and crossfire it later when you have the money. Since unfortunately nVidia has no competing solution, you go with 7970.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 3:32:07 PM

Honestly, I'd sell the FX-8120 and mobo, then use $350 to get yourself a 2500k and decent mobo. Use the remaining money to grab a 6970.

Problem is, you can't really do a high end video card configuration without also upgrading your CPU. The FX-8120 isn't all that good at gaming, at all. If you were to get a 7970, let alone a pair of them, you would be SEVERLY processor bottlenecked.
m
l
February 2, 2012 3:38:40 PM

striker410 said:
Honestly, I'd sell the FX-8120 and mobo, then use $350 to get yourself a 2500k and decent mobo. Use the remaining money to grab a 6970.

Problem is, you can't really do a high end video card configuration without also upgrading your CPU. The FX-8120 isn't all that good at gaming, at all. If you were to get a 7970, let alone a pair of them, you would be SEVERLY processor bottlenecked.

I would have to agree with him. The FX-8120 is not a very good gaming processor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 3:50:02 PM

Uh hmm, excuse me. Yea excuse me. Man at the bottom of the post. Yea ah I have a FX 6100. The Bull DOzer FX 6100 and i have 2X GTX 560 ti's and have no bottle neck what so ever. I could SLI two 570's if need be and still not have a bottleneck. You people don't give FX no Credit at all (Says to the Intel Fan boys in disguise)!. Just teasing with you guys. But no i would not get rid of the 8120. Your reall plan is to upgrade your GPU. Not spend extra unneeded money on more parts just to upgrade GPU. if you can get a 590. Yea you wont be needing much more for a while. Now that being said you could also do the 2X GTX 560 ti 448 core SLI. but i would get two GTX 570's before i did that. and i'd get a GTX 590 before i'd SLI two 570's because the 590 beats all three of those. Your highest cards are gonna be the 6990 and the 590. AMD/ATI is good. but They also have new cards out. the 7970 beats 1 GTX 580 by a few hundred so obviously i say a 7970. But it hasnt been compared to a 590 (2XGTX 580's on one PCB) I highly recommend the 590. If your case can support the length
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 3:54:10 PM

If you're gaming on multiple displays, I would recommend to get the HD7970. On one 1080p display, a single GTX580 1.5GB will play all games at high detail. Try to stay away from crossfire/sli setups since multiple video cards can result in microstutter issues as well as driver problems.

If you're getting an NVIDIA card, stick with the EVGA brand (I've had an nvidia gtx 580 1.5gb from EVGA for 6 months, no problems at all).
For AMD cards, I don't know which brand for sure but I've read that ASUS is a very good brand. PowerColor would be second on the list.

If you're going to keep the FX-8120, try to get a new cpu cooler so that you can overlock it to 4.0GHZ.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 4:15:16 PM

Rockdpm said:
Uh hmm, excuse me. Yea excuse me. Man at the bottom of the post. Yea ah I have a FX 6100. The Bull DOzer FX 6100 and i have 2X GTX 560 ti's and have no bottle neck what so ever. I could SLI two 570's if need be and still not have a bottleneck. You people don't give FX no Credit at all (Says to the Intel Fan boys in disguise)!. Just teasing with you guys. But no i would not get rid of the 8120. Your reall plan is to upgrade your GPU. Not spend extra unneeded money on more parts just to upgrade GPU. if you can get a 590. Yea you wont be needing much more for a while. Now that being said you could also do the 2X GTX 560 ti 448 core SLI. but i would get two GTX 570's before i did that. and i'd get a GTX 590 before i'd SLI two 570's because the 590 beats all three of those. Your highest cards are gonna be the 6990 and the 590. AMD/ATI is good. but They also have new cards out. the 7970 beats 1 GTX 580 by a few hundred so obviously i say a 7970. But it hasnt been compared to a 590 (2XGTX 580's on one PCB) I highly recommend the 590. If your case can support the length

Absolutely nonsensical reply. I have an AMD system right now! Have you seen the benchmarks? Intel is clearly superior in almost every regard. Not getting into a debate, just show me the benchmarks that say an FX-6100 is better than a 2500k.

Sidenote. How does two GTX 560's compare to two 7970's?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 4:17:22 PM

kulmnar said:

If you're getting an NVIDIA card, stick with the EVGA brand (I've had an nvidia gtx 580 1.5gb from EVGA for 6 months, no problems at all).
For AMD cards, I don't know which brand for sure but I've read that ASUS is a very good brand. PowerColor would be second on the list.

If you're going to keep the FX-8120, try to get a new cpu cooler so that you can overlock it to 4.0GHZ.

EVGA is probably the best for Nvidia. For AMD it'd be XFX.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 4:29:41 PM

For AMD take a look at Sapphire, XFX, HIS, MSI, ASUS or probably Gigabyte.
For Nvidia it's eVGA, MSI, ASUS and not sure about others.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 4:45:36 PM

Rockdpm said:

Why would you suggest a 590 over two 570's in SLI? The 570's perform just as good as a 590 while being cheaper. The 590 is only for people that can't do SLI, who don't have enough PCIe slots. You say a 590 is 2x 580's, but they are underclocked to the point where it's essentially two 570's.

I would suggest a 7970, and maybe add another one later.

As for your CPU, it certainly isn't the best. I honestly don't understand why anyone who is interested in gaming with their computer would put a Bulldozer cpu in it. It used to be said that AMD was better for budget systems, but that's not even the case anymore. There is no price point where AMD beats, or even matches, intel, when it comes to gaming. That being said, is it necessary to replace your processor and motherboard? No, but you may want to consider it.
m
l
February 3, 2012 1:59:59 PM

well i just bought this amd 8120 and asus board 6 days ago, i really dont want to rip it all out and i dont know whats the return policy for microcenter, but the thing is i ran few games and i dont see a issue with the cpu.
may be i just dont understand the cpu function? when i on crysis 2, my cpu usesage at 35- 42percent . so isn't if i not hitting 100 percent i m ok? idk may be i5/7 think faster? honestly i been watching benchmark after benchmark, the amd fx did better then i5, from professional video to good old youtube, thats why i went with it. but i not here to push up amd or i5/7, only reason is i didn't go with i5 is becuz amd fx board will give me better choice in the future. i sure they going to come out one that gonna really beat intel processor. so may be this processor not that great atm, but it sure beat my 3.2ghz amd 555 lol. but system is good and is fast. and my asus motherboard have a good review that is one of the top 10 mobo for gaming for 2012. but i not here to piss anyone off, plz do take no offends guys. and i do wish i bought i7 instead but too late for me to roll back now.

so here what i decided, i m out on ati gpu. they run hotter, but they r slightly faster, but driver issue, a new game come out and i want to play it and theres alot higher chance not work well compare to nvidia, they r known to getting good drivers out. i play alot mmo, and ppl crashing on gpu that is ati, and i never have issue with my 460, always working. plus main thing is physx, i like to have that option.

so heres my choice
i have 260 credit plus 520 cash for my 560 gtx that i can return when i get new cards
either i go with
1 x 590 gtx
1 x 580 gtx 3gb
2 x 570 gtx sli

i do have 2 2311x hp 23inch LED monitor, and i running both of them, and i like to able to run surround at some point, not anytme soon, but may be in 3 months. and theres possible i will buy 1 monitor that is 3d ready. unless those 2311x can 3d, but i dont think so.

so what u guys suggest? single high end 590/580? or 2x570? they all cost me the same but 580 100 bucks cheaper. 6990 and 7970 out of the question, frys and microcenter dont have them in the store, and i only buying it locally not online. due to i have to return my 560gtx for money and i wont have no video card to run the pc till card comes in, so i can't mail order it atm.

really thx for everyone output, both ati and nvidia fan. really helped me get down to 3 cards, instead 10 thousand cards lol.
and the card brand will be evga.
m
l
February 4, 2012 1:36:21 AM

rx7turbo287 said:
well i just bought this amd 8120 and asus board 6 days ago, i really dont want to rip it all out and i dont know whats the return policy for microcenter, but the thing is i ran few games and i dont see a issue with the cpu.
may be i just dont understand the cpu function? when i on crysis 2, my cpu usesage at 35- 42percent . so isn't if i not hitting 100 percent i m ok? idk may be i5/7 think faster? honestly i been watching benchmark after benchmark, the amd fx did better then i5, from professional video to good old youtube, thats why i went with it. but i not here to push up amd or i5/7, only reason is i didn't go with i5 is becuz amd fx board will give me better choice in the future. i sure they going to come out one that gonna really beat intel processor. so may be this processor not that great atm, but it sure beat my 3.2ghz amd 555 lol. but system is good and is fast. and my asus motherboard have a good review that is one of the top 10 mobo for gaming for 2012. but i not here to piss anyone off, plz do take no offends guys. and i do wish i bought i7 instead but too late for me to roll back now.

so here what i decided, i m out on ati gpu. they run hotter, but they r slightly faster, but driver issue, a new game come out and i want to play it and theres alot higher chance not work well compare to nvidia, they r known to getting good drivers out. i play alot mmo, and ppl crashing on gpu that is ati, and i never have issue with my 460, always working. plus main thing is physx, i like to have that option.

so heres my choice
i have 260 credit plus 520 cash for my 560 gtx that i can return when i get new cards
either i go with
1 x 590 gtx
1 x 580 gtx 3gb
2 x 570 gtx sli

i do have 2 2311x hp 23inch LED monitor, and i running both of them, and i like to able to run surround at some point, not anytme soon, but may be in 3 months. and theres possible i will buy 1 monitor that is 3d ready. unless those 2311x can 3d, but i dont think so.

so what u guys suggest? single high end 590/580? or 2x570? they all cost me the same but 580 100 bucks cheaper. 6990 and 7970 out of the question, frys and microcenter dont have them in the store, and i only buying it locally not online. due to i have to return my 560gtx for money and i wont have no video card to run the pc till card comes in, so i can't mail order it atm.

really thx for everyone output, both ati and nvidia fan. really helped me get down to 3 cards, instead 10 thousand cards lol.
and the card brand will be evga.

Certainly do not listen to the idiots telling you to sell your board, and that intel is better than amd, afterall that was not your question right? Your cpu and mb are excellent choices, keep them. As for the gpu's i'd go with a decent 590.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2012 1:54:14 AM

LCBChef18 said:
Certainly do not listen to the idiots telling you to sell your board, and that intel is better than amd, afterall that was not your question right? Your cpu and mb are excellent choices, keep them. As for the gpu's i'd go with a decent 590.

Why a 590? A pair of GTX 570's in SLI outperform it for less.

Secondly, I only said it was what I would do. Unfortunately Bulldozer cannot compete with Sandy Bridge, that's just the truth.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2012 3:00:27 AM

striker410 said:

Oh COME ON now, I'm a huge Intel fan, but the man already has the Bulldozer and although it isn't a 2500k, it works fine and won't bottleneck almost any game on the market or any single GPU on the market. Its a perfectly fine CPU, the reason its considered to suck is the poor advertising (its a quad, not an 8) and the fact that Sandy Bridge was such an awesome design that AMD couldn't even match it.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 4, 2012 3:22:00 AM

OK, keep your Motherboard and Processor.

Get one 1.5GB GTX 580, they would be enough for most games. Or get a 6970 seriously, It would be enough.
If you want some 7xxx, you wait and get it when it's stocked.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2012 3:26:57 AM

Vettedude said:
Oh COME ON now, I'm a huge Intel fan, but the man already has the Bulldozer and although it isn't a 2500k, it works fine and won't bottleneck almost any game on the market or any single GPU on the market. Its a perfectly fine CPU, the reason its considered to suck is the poor advertising (its a quad, not an 8) and the fact that Sandy Bridge was such an awesome design that AMD couldn't even match it.

It's a fine CPU but Sandy Bridge is just better for gaming.

OP, let me redefine what I said.
My first pick would be to get the 2500k. If I were you, I would have got the 2500k.
HOWEVER, the FX 8120 is a fine processor. FINE, not awesome. If you want to run dual 7970's, expect to hit a bottleneck! Anything below ~GTX580 SLI and you'll be fine.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/X/F/323907/original/Averag...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2012 3:28:36 AM

Of course Sandy Bridge is better. No use getting rid of the stuff he already purchased though. If he had bought an FX-4xxx, then I would recommend he switch or at least upgrade, but the 8120 will be fine.
m
l
February 4, 2012 3:06:16 PM

is a 8120, i kinda wish i got the 8150, idk, i keep reading online the 8120 on my cpuz is code name bulldozer, and 8150 is zamberi, something like that, but everyone say 8150 is bulldozer, i really dont know lol. but is 8120 3.1ghz fx

now may be amd will come out with a better processor that going to be pretty bad ass, now so far comparing to i5? benchmark show they r neck to neck, from alot different site and toms, tech tv...etc. but it is a new processor so may not be full need optimize atm, but who really knows, i for sure i not getting bottleneck issue

well i bought the 7970 card, i swear ppl just staring at me when i have the guy carrying the box to the cashier lol. like a piece of gold, the box was nice, card is beautiful and is huge, bigger then my 560gtx ti. so i installed it, only thing i complain about is 1x dvi and 1x hdmi and 2 mini. my monitor can use both dvi and hdmi, so i ran both dvi and hdmi, then ofcuz i turned the eyefinity on, well, thats when the hdmi one screen got werid out, is a 23 inch and it only displaying like a 19inch, idk how to adjust it, something really not right, and the option in control panel is confusing, even the it identify both monitor differently like 1 monitor it got more option then no 2 monitor, but it show the same monitor model. idk, i still working on it.

so i ran heaven benchmark, with my 560gtx ti twin fronz oc, at 920, i got 9min fps, up to 60s max fps, avg was at 41fps, and the score was 1020s? something like that with testallation normal. everything high. but anit at 4

so i ran the same bench on 7970 min fps 28.1, max 137fps and average was 68.2fps score was 2062 same setting so for sure, the card is doing nicely

heres the deal idk about the card, when the gpu at 100percent, it sound like a 1985 vaccum cleaner, lol, the fan is very loud, (yes it sound normal) but as long it keeps it cool, idc what it sound like.

at the end, i love this card, is a good choice i made, 7970 did out perform on most of benchmark compare the 580 3gb, they both neck to neck on some point but some part 580 drops to 30s, where 7970 never drops below 60s.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 5, 2012 9:48:41 AM

Bulldozer is the core architecture, Zambezi is the first generation of AMD's Vision FX Codename.

you solve your eyefinity problem?
m
l
February 10, 2012 1:15:30 PM

sorry i was tie up at work, haven't have a chance to come back on here

only thing i complain about the card, the catalyst was confusing to use. i had little issue setting it up, eyefinity didn't work that great with mmo game, but may be theres a way where i can run eyefinity, but not let the game scale to that? any thoughts?

the mini display port doesn't work. may be becuz is only 2 monitor? (monitors plug in dvi and hdmi) and i couldn't find a setting that enable it? and those adaptor come from the card itself so i wouldn't think thats the issue, so i little worry when i get my 3rd monitor, may be once i have 3rd it will display it. idk, any thoughts on that?

oh 1 more thing, do i need water cool when i go xfire? theres plenty space between card, but my friend keep saying i NEED to, but i thinking is a want, idk
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 4:35:38 PM

I'll address the last question. No, you can run both on air. Your top card might run a bit hotter but you certainly don't have to do anything.
m
l
!