Sign in with
Your question

Help to build the cheapest htpc possible for 1080p

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2012 5:41:52 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to build the CHEAPEST HTPC as possible for 1080p (on a 42" if that matters). No gaming, have and another rig for that.

The most important things:

1. Capable of playing 1080p (without any hick-up)
2. Quiet as possible (although SSD is not an option, I'm not that picky and keep in mind CHEAPEST ;)  )
3. Small and/or discreet
4. Possible for a lot of storage (minimum 3 x 3,5")

Since I have a PS3 already, a blu ray drive is not necessary, neither a cd-drive (I'll use an old one).
I have already Win 7 and planning to use a logitech cordless mediaboard pro (ps3) as remote.

I'm not quite sure if I should build on mini-itx or m-atx. Since storage is really important for me maybe m-atx would be cheaper and more future proof?

I'm planning to start with one of these (and probably get 2 - 3 more later on):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If there is something I forgot to write that matters, please ask. Wifi is not a must but HDMI is :D 
I live in Norway, my options for parts is a bit limited so please state some options for what you are recommending.

In advance thanks for constructive replies :bounce: 
April 10, 2012 6:41:49 PM

Thanks for your quick reply g-unit :D 

It's likely a good and bang for buck tip, but the thing is that I like to build hehe :p 

And I need A LOT of storage and the sapphire edge is probably to cost a lot more here in Norway unfortuantely :( 
Related resources
April 10, 2012 6:46:58 PM

Actually the thing I'm wondering about is what to choose between mini-itx or a m-atx?

And recommendation regarding which socket I should build on?
April 10, 2012 7:00:51 PM

matta85 said:
Actually the thing I'm wondering about is what to choose between mini-itx or a m-atx?

And recommendation regarding which socket I should build on?

Well mATX cases are quite a bit larger than mITX but you'll get a better choice of hardware. You'll definitely want to build around 1155 if you want any sort of horsepower, if you want better graphics though go with FM1 (AMD A6 or A8).
April 10, 2012 7:15:05 PM

Allright, thanks :) 

I'm thinking of FM1. This htpc will only be used to play and storage movies/music/pics etc.

The reason I want this thing as cheap as possible is that I am sick and tired of my TV and PS3 not supporting mkv. and different formats out there, and I want to use my money for getting as much as storage as possible :D 
April 10, 2012 7:20:20 PM

Will any of these; AMD Radeon HD 6410D / HD 6530D be enough to play 1080p in 3D?
April 10, 2012 8:07:23 PM

Hehe I've decided to go for the a6-3500. Any bang for buck recommendations on mobo for this chip?
April 10, 2012 8:36:37 PM

matta85 said:
Will any of these; AMD Radeon HD 6410D / HD 6530D be enough to play 1080p in 3D?

I'm going to say no - the A6 is very limited to what it can do - if you're playing a resource-intensive game like BF3, definitely not. If you're playing an MMORPG like WOW that doesn't - it will be fine for the most part.

If you're using it for movies, web browsing, Youtube/Netflix, etc - then the A6 will be plenty for what you need it to do.

mATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mini-ITX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 26, 2013 9:03:43 PM

I agree with g-unit the a6 should do fine with decompressing 1080 video and you might even be able to put in a nice little pico psu into the system. you can find them for hecka cheap haha. it also significantly drops the size of case you can buy.
January 1, 2014 2:30:53 PM

Hi matta,
I've been researching the same topic for the last few days and one of the options that I am really looking at right now is Zotac ZBOX, I think you should check them out if you haven't built anything yet. Good bang for a buck for me as I have a spare laptop RAM and hard drive lying around. Or a used AMD E350/E450 laptop seems to be an option for me too, since they support 1080p.
Cheers and good luck with your build!
!