Dvi Cable won't fit into graphics card - with picture

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
see the 2 parts I have marked on this picture

my graphics card does not have them

I am just using my vga port instead

will it matter anyway ?? it won't make a performance difference anyway ?

24chze0.png

I don't understand, and I'm a computer technician...

Are you saying that you can't plug the DVI cable from your MONITOR into your GRAPHICS CARD's DVI output?

If you are saying that you have an older graphics card that only has a VGA output, and has no DVI output then you have to use the VGA output.

I personally can't tell the difference. In fact, I just had my sister's computer hooked up to my Dell 27" monitor using VGA and it worked just fine.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
1. Your graphics card has only D-Sub port
2. Your graphics card has DVI port, but looks different. Instead of those 4-square holes, it has different hole cinfiguration there.

Which one does describe your situation correctly?

mavroxur

Distinguished
There are different kinds of DVI.

There's DVI-D (which doesn't have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end). This connector does NOT pass analog video, only digital

There's DVI-I (which DOES have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end). This connector can pass analog, digital, or both.

There's DVI-A (which DOES have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end, but is also missing several of the regular pins). This connector will only pass analog, not digital, but will plug into a DVI-I port.

There's also two flavors of DVI-D and DVI-I (single link vs dual link). The plugs will physically interchange, but resolution capabilities of single vs dual will prevent some resolutions from working.

I'm going to guess your video card has DVI-D ports, and your cable is DVI-I, which would prevent the cable from connecting to the card. You need to get a DVI-D cable.

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

sorry i didnt make myself clear

yes the graphics card has dvi,

it is the one pictured but does not have those 2 little holes i marked in red in the picture

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

thanks

Denzidrine

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
Thank you for getting it you nailed my exact question as well. Awesome it passes only digital. Makes sense new ones only have digital now. Btw I also have a adapter which must be the last one, the DVI-A cause it is missing some prongs. Good job!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Just FYI but the above comment about "DVI-I" cable not matching DVI-D output is just wrong. A DVI cable fits any DVI-D/DVI-I connection.

DVI-D: just the digital output
DVI-I: both the digital and analog outputs

The four holes at the top of the post are simply the analog outputs to work with a VGA adapter.

DVI-I has both DVI and VGA outputs. It's setup so you only connect to the VGA ones if you use the adapter (thus aren't connecting to any of the DVI outputs).

Also, in the initial post he said he's just using VGA port for now? Huh? He didn't show any in the picture but assuming his card did have one then that would work the same as if he used DVI-I plus the VGA adapter.

So if he ONLY had VGA for the monitor he should use:
a) VGA (if exists), or
b) DVI-I (plus VGA adapter)

Not sure what this issue of DVI not working with DVI is.

Imre_2

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

Hi, so i think my GTX 1060 MSI 3GB card has a DVI-D connector BUT my monitor has only VGA... so i have a VGA to DVI converter, but i think mine is a DVI-A converter with the blade blade and 2 pins on either side and with missing 12 pins on the rest of the connector.

In order for me to push my connector in to the connector on the graphics cards, i was told i can break the pins on either side of the blade pin on the converter...... does this sound safe to you
?

Right now i have this old useful 17 lcd screen but i cant use it on muy graphics card and i feel sad.
my previous 24" lcd was hit my lightning or surge about 5 days ago.