Sign in with
Your question

Dvi Cable won't fit into graphics card - with picture

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2012 2:28:18 PM

see the 2 parts I have marked on this picture

my graphics card does not have them

I am just using my vga port instead

will it matter anyway ?? it won't make a performance difference anyway ?

a c 123 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 3:01:23 PM

I don't understand, and I'm a computer technician...

Are you saying that you can't plug the DVI cable from your MONITOR into your GRAPHICS CARD's DVI output?

If you are saying that you have an older graphics card that only has a VGA output, and has no DVI output then you have to use the VGA output.

I personally can't tell the difference. In fact, I just had my sister's computer hooked up to my Dell 27" monitor using VGA and it worked just fine.
February 2, 2012 3:08:55 PM

1. Your graphics card has only D-Sub port
2. Your graphics card has DVI port, but looks different. Instead of those 4-square holes, it has different hole cinfiguration there.

Which one does describe your situation correctly?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 3:09:41 PM

match your monitor connector with the card

vga is a smaller blue connector and dvi is a white and a little bit wider comparing to vga's connector
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 3:18:06 PM

what graphics card do you have. must be older ?
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 3:18:55 PM

There are different kinds of DVI.

There's DVI-D (which doesn't have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end). This connector does NOT pass analog video, only digital

There's DVI-I (which DOES have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end). This connector can pass analog, digital, or both.

There's DVI-A (which DOES have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end, but is also missing several of the regular pins). This connector will only pass analog, not digital, but will plug into a DVI-I port.

There's also two flavors of DVI-D and DVI-I (single link vs dual link). The plugs will physically interchange, but resolution capabilities of single vs dual will prevent some resolutions from working.

I'm going to guess your video card has DVI-D ports, and your cable is DVI-I, which would prevent the cable from connecting to the card. You need to get a DVI-D cable.
February 2, 2012 4:54:48 PM

photonboy said:
I don't understand, and I'm a computer technician...

Are you saying that you can't plug the DVI cable from your MONITOR into your GRAPHICS CARD's DVI output?

If you are saying that you have an older graphics card that only has a VGA output, and has no DVI output then you have to use the VGA output.

I personally can't tell the difference. In fact, I just had my sister's computer hooked up to my Dell 27" monitor using VGA and it worked just fine.

sorry i didnt make myself clear

yes the graphics card has dvi,

it is the one pictured but does not have those 2 little holes i marked in red in the picture
February 2, 2012 4:58:24 PM

mavroxur said:
There are different kinds of DVI.

There's DVI-D (which doesn't have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end). This connector does NOT pass analog video, only digital

There's DVI-I (which DOES have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end). This connector can pass analog, digital, or both.

There's DVI-A (which DOES have the four square holes around the flat blade torwards the end, but is also missing several of the regular pins). This connector will only pass analog, not digital, but will plug into a DVI-I port.

There's also two flavors of DVI-D and DVI-I (single link vs dual link). The plugs will physically interchange, but resolution capabilities of single vs dual will prevent some resolutions from working.

I'm going to guess your video card has DVI-D ports, and your cable is DVI-I, which would prevent the cable from connecting to the card. You need to get a DVI-D cable.

thanks
!