boot.ini

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

How can I safely remove boot.ini?

I don't need multi-boots. Only single Windows XP was installed in
c:\Windows. Windows XP is all I need.

However, once I deleted boot.ini, Windows starts to complain the missing
boot.ini when booting up. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Armstrong
Hong Kong

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
to delete incorrect boot paths.

If the above does not work for you, then:

Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:

Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file to remove the SECOND entry.
Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Armstrong Wong" wrote:

| How can I safely remove boot.ini?
|
| I don't need multi-boots. Only single Windows XP was installed in
| c:\Windows. Windows XP is all I need.
|
| However, once I deleted boot.ini, Windows starts to complain the missing
| boot.ini when booting up. Please help. Thanks in advance.
|
| Armstrong
| Hong Kong

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Boot.ini is a Windows system file; it cannot be deleted. Moreover, it's a
completely innocuous file, so there's no reason to remove it.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Armstrong Wong" <armsys@hkstar.com> wrote in message
> How can I safely remove boot.ini?
>
> I don't need multi-boots. Only single Windows XP was installed in
> c:\Windows. Windows XP is all I need.
>
> However, once I deleted boot.ini, Windows starts to complain the missing
> boot.ini when booting up. Please help. Thanks in advance.
>
> Armstrong
> Hong Kong

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Carey,

Thanks for your quick reply.
If I reduce timeout=5, is it okay? Does it make any difference if the PC is
installed with Windows XP only? Will it speed up the boot process?

Armstrong
Hong Kong

> Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
> Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
> to delete incorrect boot paths.
>
> If the above does not work for you, then:
>
> Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
>
> Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit
>
> CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file to remove the SECOND entry.
> Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You can set the time out to any number, but it will not
decrease boot time if you have only one operating system
installed.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Armstrong Wong" wrote:

| Hi Carey,
|
| Thanks for your quick reply.
| If I reduce timeout=5, is it okay? Does it make any difference if the PC is
| installed with Windows XP only? Will it speed up the boot process?
|
| Armstrong
| Hong Kong

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Carey,

Again, thanks for your quick help.

Armstrong
Hong Kong