Quad Rails or Single Rail?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hardware
  • Quad
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 24, 2012 5:29:11 AM

Hello there toms hardware peeps. I've Basicaly decided on my parts and now it is the hard part of saving up the money. But Instead of corsair Tx-750 there is an Antec HCG-900. the 900w is 7$ more But has Quad +12V Rails. I will Most likely never crossfire as I am getting a 7970 and even that is more than enough for me. But I would like the option open for maybe One more. is quad rails better. And please dont say yes or No but Explain Why. Thank you Im gonna wait for answers :bounce: 

EDIT: these are the PSUs
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

More about : quad rails single rail

July 24, 2012 5:35:11 AM

You wont need the 900w and I am sure the quad rail aren't important.

I would stick to the Corsair.

Anyone else know?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 5:36:05 AM

rails aren't really significant. the only hard thing about multiple rails is calculating the max wattage the 12v rail has. if its single, then volts*amps is the easy way, if its multiple rails is the sum of all the rails amps minus a few then times 12 as all of the rails cannot go on full load at the same time.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 5:36:21 AM
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 5:38:05 AM

Rail count doesn't make much of a difference, although if all else is equal, I'd usually go with single rail over multi-rail just as a personal preference. It's a little simpler.
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:39:04 AM

Best answer selected by tuganu.
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:40:26 AM

Thanks everone. some people said single is better some say there is no difference and the quad rail one has 900w of power so I think I ll get that but apart from that thanks for all the answers
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 11:51:51 PM

tuganu said:
Thanks everone. some people said single is better some say there is no difference and the quad rail one has 900w of power so I think I ll get that but apart from that thanks for all the answers

I don't know how true this is today, but with some older PSUs that had multiple rails, you couldn't use connectors from different rails in a single adapter because the different rails would have slightly different voltages (one might be 12.03v and another might be 11.98v or some other such number within the ATX PSU specifications). For example, if you don't have enough PCIe connectors (not all PSUs had them when they were new), then you could use an adapter cable that was powered by a few regular 4-pin peripheral Molex connectors, but they all had to be from the same rail or else you could cause severe damage to your PCIe graphics card that the adapter is plugged into.

With single rail PSUs, this is not an issue. I know that some multi-rail PSUs were only pseudo-multi rail PSUs that didn't have this problem either. However, not only is it unlikely that your target PSU would have a problem with doing this, the chances of you doing this are slim to none, so I recommend against worrying about it. I tend to stick with single rail PSUs at this point just in case and because it's just simpler, but it's probably more of a noteworthy gimmick nowadays IMO.
m
l
!