canon flash exposure

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 18, 2005 12:53:19 PM

Folks, seeking comments and views, like experiences, solutions etc.
I have a 20D and shoot RAW and when using the built in flash or a 420EX
flash continually get exposures 1&2/3rd's underdone. I have tested this
with measuring in the three meter modes on an 18% grey card in different
lighting from dull through to dark. I have also tested a number of lenses
from L series to the kit lens and it always seems to be around the 1&2/3rds
underdone. This is pretty annoying as I am shooting a friends wedding in a
few months and would like to get the flash side of things sorted out. I
also ran all the shots through my RAW converter (Breezebrowser Pro) and
added the 1&2/3rds exposure compensation to those shots taken without
dialling in flash exposure compensation on the camera and when added the
exposure is correct. Would like to take this problem up with the Canon folk
but wish to make sure I have covered off on anything I may be doing wrong.
Have conducted the tests with the camera set to the factory set-up. When in
program (green box mode), the camera defaults to 1/60th and F4 with my 28 -
135mm IS at the 28 setting (don't know if this means anything but thought I
would put it in just in case)

I have seen some earlier threads on this but haven't taken much notice as I
rarely use flash. However, given the wedding I need to try and get myself
sorted. Have even thought about buying a sigma 500DF flash as I am told it
is a better flash than the Canon ex's. Will upgrade to a 580 EX if this
stops the problem.

Look forward to any comments etc. as always.
--
Don From Down Under

More about : canon flash exposure

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:07:25 PM

Couple thoughts:

1. Better to under expose than overexpose. Once the shot has washouts you
cannot get them back even with Photoshop. Others have speculated that Canon
did this intentionally to prevent over exposing and losing the shot.
2. FEC or Flash Exposure Compensation is an option to boost flash output.
In FEC mode with teh 20D you can hit the * button to send out a pre-flash to
have the camera set the 'proper' flash compensation. Just be careful not to
add too much flash as it may overexpose the shot or make it look too fake
with just flash highlights in the middle of the frame and shadows along the
rest.
3. Try using EC or Exposure Compensation (could also be used in conjunction
with FEC) to move it up a stop. Sometimes 1/2 to 1 stop is all you need
4. Switch from Evaluative to Partial Metering and meter on something neutral
or gray. Sometimes backlighting can be a pain and causes the camera to stop
down the aperature and creates the underexposure.
5. Photoshop touchup is almost going to always be needed no matter what. If
you shoot RAW, consider that more the norm since its all in the perception
of what each individual photographer 'wants' to see versus what the camera
actually sees (which is black and white anyway).

I have had my 20D since April and not setting up any special parameters has
actually allowed forced me to spend more time in Photoshop, ACR and RSE just
so I can better understand the software. If I look to get all my settings
right on the camera by making the adjustments I mentioned above, in some
ways I allow the camera to take control instead of me. When I got the
camera, by big let down was that I expected to see point and shoot results
from a D-SLR. I have come to reason thats never going to be the case unless
I post process just as the P&S camera does internally.

"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Folks, seeking comments and views, like experiences, solutions etc.
> I have a 20D and shoot RAW and when using the built in flash or a 420EX
> flash continually get exposures 1&2/3rd's underdone. I have tested this
> with measuring in the three meter modes on an 18% grey card in different
> lighting from dull through to dark. I have also tested a number of lenses
> from L series to the kit lens and it always seems to be around the
> 1&2/3rds underdone. This is pretty annoying as I am shooting a friends
> wedding in a few months and would like to get the flash side of things
> sorted out. I also ran all the shots through my RAW converter
> (Breezebrowser Pro) and added the 1&2/3rds exposure compensation to those
> shots taken without dialling in flash exposure compensation on the camera
> and when added the exposure is correct. Would like to take this problem
> up with the Canon folk but wish to make sure I have covered off on
> anything I may be doing wrong. Have conducted the tests with the camera
> set to the factory set-up. When in program (green box mode), the camera
> defaults to 1/60th and F4 with my 28 - 135mm IS at the 28 setting (don't
> know if this means anything but thought I would put it in just in case)
>
> I have seen some earlier threads on this but haven't taken much notice as
> I rarely use flash. However, given the wedding I need to try and get
> myself sorted. Have even thought about buying a sigma 500DF flash as I am
> told it is a better flash than the Canon ex's. Will upgrade to a 580 EX
> if this stops the problem.
>
> Look forward to any comments etc. as always.
> --
> Don From Down Under

June 18, 2005 2:11:43 PM

"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Folks, seeking comments and views, like experiences, solutions etc.
> I have a 20D and shoot RAW and when using the built in flash or a 420EX
> flash continually get exposures 1&2/3rd's underdone. I have tested this
> with measuring in the three meter modes on an 18% grey card in different
> lighting from dull through to dark. I have also tested a number of lenses
> from L series to the kit lens and it always seems to be around the
> 1&2/3rds underdone. This is pretty annoying as I am shooting a friends
> wedding in a few months and would like to get the flash side of things
> sorted out. I also ran all the shots through my RAW converter
> (Breezebrowser Pro) and added the 1&2/3rds exposure compensation to those
> shots taken without dialling in flash exposure compensation on the camera
> and when added the exposure is correct. Would like to take this problem
> up with the Canon folk but wish to make sure I have covered off on
> anything I may be doing wrong. Have conducted the tests with the camera
> set to the factory set-up. When in program (green box mode), the camera
> defaults to 1/60th and F4 with my 28 - 135mm IS at the 28 setting (don't
> know if this means anything but thought I would put it in just in case)
>
> I have seen some earlier threads on this but haven't taken much notice as
> I rarely use flash. However, given the wedding I need to try and get
> myself sorted. Have even thought about buying a sigma 500DF flash as I am
> told it is a better flash than the Canon ex's. Will upgrade to a 580 EX
> if this stops the problem.
>
> Look forward to any comments etc. as always.
> --
> Don From Down Under

Hi.

I use a Nikon D70, not Canon. And like you have found that its dedicated
Flash SB600 consistently "Under-exposes". (In my opinion, that is)

I have always maintained that correct Exposure is the Exposure, you the
photographer, actually want.

So if the results you get are, ( in your opinion ), under-exposed, then just
set up some Flash Exposure compenstion to correct this situation. I use my
D70 and its Flash with + half stop on its Flash Exposure Compensation.

The real hard part with these very automated systems, is learning how to
ensure that the combination is giving full emphasis to the Flash Exposure,
and is ignoring the Ambient light. These Auto systems seem to have an
inbuilt tendencey to use the Flash as a Fill Light, even when I want the
Flash to be the Main Light.

I do it by setting the Camera to Manual, and selecting the max Shutter speed
at which the Flash will Synch ( 1/500 ) and choosing an f number which is
just within the Flash's maximum output. (5.6 - depending on subject
distance).

This shutter speed and aperture combination usually ensures that any Ambient
lighting will have little effect on the metering, and the Exposure is then
only dependant on the Metered Flash Output.

Hopefully, you will have ample time to experiment, and get your system
working the way you want before you have to do it for real at the Wedding.
Do remember to shoot off some test shots in a large function room, because
the room size will have quite an effect on the amount of light arriving at
the subject from your flash.

Roy G
June 18, 2005 6:10:45 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:53:19 +0000, Don wrote:

> Folks, seeking comments and views, like experiences, solutions etc.
> I have a 20D and shoot RAW and when using the built in flash or a 420EX
> flash continually get exposures 1&2/3rd's underdone. I have tested this
> with measuring in the three meter modes on an 18% grey card in different
> lighting from dull through to dark. I have also tested a number of lenses
> from L series to the kit lens and it always seems to be around the 1&2/3rds
> underdone. This is pretty annoying as I am shooting a friends wedding in a
> few months and would like to get the flash side of things sorted out. I
> also ran all the shots through my RAW converter (Breezebrowser Pro) and
> added the 1&2/3rds exposure compensation to those shots taken without
> dialling in flash exposure compensation on the camera and when added the
> exposure is correct. Would like to take this problem up with the Canon folk
> but wish to make sure I have covered off on anything I may be doing wrong.
> Have conducted the tests with the camera set to the factory set-up. When in
> program (green box mode), the camera defaults to 1/60th and F4 with my 28 -
> 135mm IS at the 28 setting (don't know if this means anything but thought I
> would put it in just in case)
>
> I have seen some earlier threads on this but haven't taken much notice as I
> rarely use flash. However, given the wedding I need to try and get myself
> sorted. Have even thought about buying a sigma 500DF flash as I am told it
> is a better flash than the Canon ex's. Will upgrade to a 580 EX if this
> stops the problem.
>
> Look forward to any comments etc. as always.
If they are consistently underexpoed by this amount then adjust your
exposure compensation by that amount and stop worrying.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

Have you tried setting Matrix on the body and iTTL only metering [not TTL
matrix] on the flash ?

=bob=

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi.
>
> I use a Nikon D70, not Canon. And like you have found that its dedicated
> Flash SB600 consistently "Under-exposes". (In my opinion, that is)
June 19, 2005 5:06:04 AM

Thank you for all your comments. I note all the work arounds, but when
forking out the dollars I have for the camera and lenses I would expect the
e-ttl 2 to be spot on. If it is a design fault then Canon need to be made
aware of it. If its a "feature" to stop over exposure then that it somewhat
insulting to the many good photogs who go for prosumer gear as opposed to
p&s. I am sure that if enough people raise this as a design issue as
opposed to a user issue then Canon just might look at alternative to their
current ttl systems. Never underestimate the power of the consumer. Once
again thanks for all the comments.

regards

Don from Down Under
"Neil Ellwood" <charge@eater.pig> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.06.18.14.16.52.693066@eater.pig...
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:53:19 +0000, Don wrote:
>
>> Folks, seeking comments and views, like experiences, solutions etc.
>> I have a 20D and shoot RAW and when using the built in flash or a 420EX
>> flash continually get exposures 1&2/3rd's underdone. I have tested this
>> with measuring in the three meter modes on an 18% grey card in different
>> lighting from dull through to dark. I have also tested a number of
>> lenses
>> from L series to the kit lens and it always seems to be around the
>> 1&2/3rds
>> underdone. This is pretty annoying as I am shooting a friends wedding in
>> few months and would like to get the flash side of things sorted out. I
>> also ran all the shots through my RAW converter (Breezebrowser Pro) and
>> added the 1&2/3rds exposure compensation to those shots taken without
>> dialling in flash exposure compensation on the camera and when added the
>> exposure is correct. Would like to take this problem up with the Canon
>> folk
>> but wish to make sure I have covered off on anything I may be doing
>> wrong.
>> Have conducted the tests with the camera set to the factory set-up. When
>> in
>> program (green box mode), the camera defaults to 1/60th and F4 with my
>> 28 -
>> 135mm IS at the 28 setting (don't know if this means anything but thought
>> would put it in just in case)
>>
>> I have seen some earlier threads on this but haven't taken much notice as
>> rarely use flash. However, given the wedding I need to try and get
>> myself
>> sorted. Have even thought about buying a sigma 500DF flash as I am told
>> it
>> is a better flash than the Canon ex's. Will upgrade to a 580 EX if this
>> stops the problem.
>>
>> Look forward to any comments etc. as always.
> If they are consistently underexpoed by this amount then adjust your
> exposure compensation by that amount and stop worrying.
>
> --
> neil
> delete delete to reply
June 20, 2005 12:53:54 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:06:04 GMT
In message <0y3te.22153$F7.19070@news-server.bigpond.net.au>
"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Thank you for all your comments. I note all the work arounds, but when
> forking out the dollars I have for the camera and lenses I would expect the
> e-ttl 2 to be spot on. If it is a design fault then Canon need to be made
> aware of it. If its a "feature" to stop over exposure then that it somewhat
> insulting to the many good photogs who go for prosumer gear as opposed to
> p&s. I am sure that if enough people raise this as a design issue as
> opposed to a user issue then Canon just might look at alternative to their
> current ttl systems. Never underestimate the power of the consumer. Once
> again thanks for all the comments.

Don't feel alone. I forked out the bucks for a 580EX
when a cheap 3rd party flash would have worked better. :(

Jeff
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:53:55 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:06:04 GMT
> In message <0y3te.22153$F7.19070@news-server.bigpond.net.au>
> "Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for all your comments. I note all the work arounds, but when
>> forking out the dollars I have for the camera and lenses I would expect
>> the
>> e-ttl 2 to be spot on. If it is a design fault then Canon need to be
>> made
>> aware of it. If its a "feature" to stop over exposure then that it
>> somewhat
>> insulting to the many good photogs who go for prosumer gear as opposed to
>> p&s. I am sure that if enough people raise this as a design issue as
>> opposed to a user issue then Canon just might look at alternative to
>> their
>> current ttl systems. Never underestimate the power of the consumer. Once
>> again thanks for all the comments.
>
> Don't feel alone. I forked out the bucks for a 580EX
> when a cheap 3rd party flash would have worked better. :(
>
> Jeff

We took ours back, and now use, mostly, Quantum T4d flashes, third party,
but certainly not cheap!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> writes:
> Folks, seeking comments and views, like experiences, solutions etc.
> I have a 20D and shoot RAW and when using the built in flash or a 420EX
> flash continually get exposures 1&2/3rd's underdone. I have tested this
> with measuring in the three meter modes on an 18% grey card in different
> lighting from dull through to dark. I have also tested a number of lenses
> from L series to the kit lens and it always seems to be around the 1&2/3rds
> underdone. This is pretty annoying as I am shooting a friends wedding in a
> few months and would like to get the flash side of things sorted out. I
> also ran all the shots through my RAW converter (Breezebrowser Pro) and
> added the 1&2/3rds exposure compensation to those shots taken without
> dialling in flash exposure compensation on the camera and when added the
> exposure is correct. Would like to take this problem up with the Canon folk
> but wish to make sure I have covered off on anything I may be doing wrong.
> Have conducted the tests with the camera set to the factory set-up. When in
> program (green box mode), the camera defaults to 1/60th and F4 with my 28 -
> 135mm IS at the 28 setting (don't know if this means anything but thought I
> would put it in just in case)
>
> I have seen some earlier threads on this but haven't taken much notice as I
> rarely use flash. However, given the wedding I need to try and get myself
> sorted. Have even thought about buying a sigma 500DF flash as I am told it
> is a better flash than the Canon ex's. Will upgrade to a 580 EX if this
> stops the problem.
>
> Look forward to any comments etc. as always.

I hear ya. I have a G2, a 300D and the 550EX. I also come from Canon
film land with the original Elan and a 540EZ flash. The inability of
the 300D to get a flash exposure right without me having to think
damned hard is a complete pain in my ass.

As a result, I find myself as a rule shooting flash photography on the
300D with +2/3 to +1.0 flash exposure compensation dialed in.

The secret you need to know that took me some digging is this: If you
use a fixed autofocus point (as I do because the auto focus point
selection doesn't work very damned accurately), the metering for the
flash is STRONGLY weighted to the area around that focusing point.
So, instead of just prefocusing on your focus point, recomposing and
shooting and getting a good exposure (as you do on the film Elan, and
the G2 with this same class of flash), you have to add in another
thought with the 300D. that thought is "What color is the stuff
that's on the place where my focusing point lands in my recomposed
shot?" If it's dark, well, happy day you'll get an acceptable
exposure. If it's white, you're going to get a horrible
underexposure. If it's gray, you'll get a moderately annoying
underexposure.

Having shot a wedding this weekend, I gota lot of practice with this
and managed to get things far better than the first time I used this
setup. Be sure to set your review mode to include a histogram--it's
invaluable in telling you whether you got the the shot or need to
retake it.

Yeah, I'm thinking of another flash unit myself, though it pains me to
have to consider using something other than a formerly top of the line
canon shoe mount flash in order to coach reliable friggin flash
exposure out of this 300D.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> writes:

> We took ours back, and now use, mostly, Quantum T4d flashes, third party,
> but certainly not cheap!

Skip, do the quantums use E-TTL, or are they thyristor models? Just
curious as to whether e-ttl is the culprit here or if the 550EX just
has some design implementation flaws.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:84oea1wx89.fsf@ripco.com...
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> writes:
>

>> We took ours back, and now use, mostly, Quantum T4d flashes, third party,
>> but certainly not cheap!
>
> Skip, do the quantums use E-TTL, or are they thyristor models? Just
> curious as to whether e-ttl is the culprit here or if the 550EX just
> has some design implementation flaws.
>
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

They use some sort of hybrid, Q-TTL, which is more like, I think, the older
E-TTL rather than the newer iteration.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
June 20, 2005 1:22:06 PM

Folks

thanks, I might end up looking at the Sigma flash line (shudder shudder), as
long as they can be used as a master for the canon slaves.

regard
Don
"Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:84slzdwxdq.fsf@ripco.com...
> [...]
> thought with the 300D. that thought is "What color is the stuff
> that's on the place where my focusing point lands in my recomposed
> shot?" If it's dark, well, happy day you'll get an acceptable
> exposure. If it's white, you're going to get a horrible
> underexposure. If it's gray, you'll get a moderately annoying
> underexposure.
>
> Having shot a wedding this weekend, I gota lot of practice with this
> and managed to get things far better than the first time I used this
> setup. Be sure to set your review mode to include a histogram--it's
> invaluable in telling you whether you got the the shot or need to
> retake it.
>
> Yeah, I'm thinking of another flash unit myself, though it pains me to
> have to consider using something other than a formerly top of the line
> canon shoe mount flash in order to coach reliable friggin flash

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:39:32 PM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> writes:
> "Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:84oea1wx89.fsf@ripco.com...
> > "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> writes:
> >

> >> We took ours back, and now use, mostly, Quantum T4d flashes, third party,
> >> but certainly not cheap!
> >
> > Skip, do the quantums use E-TTL, or are they thyristor models? Just
> > curious as to whether e-ttl is the culprit here or if the 550EX just
> > has some design implementation flaws.
> >
> > --
> > Todd H.
> > http://www.toddh.net/
>
> They use some sort of hybrid, Q-TTL, which is more like, I think, the older
> E-TTL rather than the newer iteration.

God that'd be nice. My old Canon stuff just friggin worked. I'll
have to look into them.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:84y895qehn.fsf@ripco.com...
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> writes:

>> > Skip, do the quantums use E-TTL, or are they thyristor models? Just
>> > curious as to whether e-ttl is the culprit here or if the 550EX just
>> > has some design implementation flaws.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Todd H.
>> > http://www.toddh.net/
>>
>> They use some sort of hybrid, Q-TTL, which is more like, I think, the
>> older
>> E-TTL rather than the newer iteration.
>
> God that'd be nice. My old Canon stuff just friggin worked. I'll
> have to look into them.
>
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

REALLY expensive, about $1000 for a set up, battery, flash head, flash
module and the bracket of your choice. The Pro-T works ok with it. I'm on
the verge of getting a Metz 54, there's one that is E-TTL and another that
is, I guess, a thrysistor (Auto only). I want something that has less bulk
than the Quantums, but works as well.
We still get a certain amount of underexposure with the Quantums, the camera
still tells the flash to back off in situations where it shouldn't, but it
is much better than the 580EX that we had, briefly. I still have the 420EX,
but it is down on power on the both the 580 and the Metz, not to mention the
Quantum...
I know where you're coming from, I never had issues with Canon's flash with
my A2, 1N or D30, and of course my old AT-1 and A-1, until now, with the
"new and improved." Hunh.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:13:59 PM

"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Folks, seeking comments and views, like experiences, solutions etc.
> I have a 20D and shoot RAW and when using the built in flash or a 420EX
> flash continually get exposures 1&2/3rd's underdone. I have tested this
> with measuring in the three meter modes on an 18% grey card in different
> lighting from dull through to dark. I have also tested a number of lenses
> from L series to the kit lens and it always seems to be around the
> 1&2/3rds underdone. This is pretty annoying as I am shooting a friends
> wedding in a few months and would like to get the flash side of things
> sorted out. I also ran all the shots through my RAW converter
> (Breezebrowser Pro) and added the 1&2/3rds exposure compensation to those
> shots taken without dialling in flash exposure compensation on the camera
> and when added the exposure is correct. Would like to take this problem
> up with the Canon folk but wish to make sure I have covered off on
> anything I may be doing wrong. Have conducted the tests with the camera
> set to the factory set-up. When in program (green box mode), the camera
> defaults to 1/60th and F4 with my 28 - 135mm IS at the 28 setting (don't
> know if this means anything but thought I would put it in just in case)
>
> I have seen some earlier threads on this but haven't taken much notice as
> I rarely use flash. However, given the wedding I need to try and get
> myself sorted. Have even thought about buying a sigma 500DF flash as I am
> told it is a better flash than the Canon ex's. Will upgrade to a 580 EX
> if this stops the problem.
>
> Look forward to any comments etc. as always.
> --
> Don From Down Under

A number of people have reported problems with fill-in flash in bright light
at least with external speedlights.

I only have the internal flash but tests show they meter accuratly although
look a bit dull due to the more limited dynamic range.

Lester
!