Month long research, final build list/review

caseynelson

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hey guys,

All of your information has been priceless in my research on building the best computer I can right now for my needs. I've gone back and forth so many times but this is it..the final build list so I am ready to pull the trigger. Just asking one more time for a review, to see if anyone would change anything.

Plain and simple, I want to game.

Processor: i5-2500k
Cooler:Cooler master hyper 212 EVo
GPU: EVGA GTX 680
PSU: Corsair AX850w
SSD: M4 Crucial 128 gb
Windows 7 Professional
Ram: G.Skill 16gb 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 timing (i know its overkill..but I want it!)
case: cooler master haf x 932 blue edition
mobo: asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 1155
Maybe a suggestion on my hard drive?

That's it boys and girls. Any thing you would recommmend to change? I have everything else. Holla at a playa.

g-unit1111

Titan

caseynelson

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Thanks G unit. I took your advice ( I think on a previous build) and selling my OCZ agility 3 SSD due to a bunch of negativity regarding it and upgrading it and paying more for the good stuff.

Does upgrading to a Z77 actually effect gaming performance? Or future upgrading potential?

g-unit1111

Titan

It won't affect gaming performance but it will affect future upgrading potential as in support for new RAM speeds, extra SATA ports, extra PCI Gen 3 lanes, and of course newer CPUs.

Processor: i5-2500k
Sound choice

Cooler:Cooler master hyper 212 EVo
I'd do the 212's big bruddah .... Hyper 612 PWM

GPU: EVGA GTX 680
Sound choice

PSU: Corsair AX850w
HX850 is cheaper

SSD: M4 Crucial 128 gb
Id move up from Tier 5 to Tier 3
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmark,3139-6.html

Windows 7 Professional
Sound Choice

Ram: G.Skill 16gb 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 timing (i know its overkill..but I want it!)
2 x 8GB Im hoping. Make sure to skip the tall thoothy heat sink versions and if it were me, it woulkd be low profile Corsair Vengeance.

case: cooler master haf x 932 blue edition
Not one of my fav's .... Having built several, I prefer the HAF-X over the 932 but I'd rather build w/ teh Antec 1200, DF-85 or Corsair 500R in White. The 932's "tool-less" features I find damned frustrating and flimsy.

mobo: asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 1155
Can't get behind the only major MoBo manufacturer not to offer an industry standard 3 year warranty.

Maybe a suggestion on my hard drive?

Seagate Barracuda XT's if ya can still get ya hands on them.

Does upgrading to a Z77 actually effect gaming performance?

No

Or future upgrading potential?

Ya MoBo has a two year warranty....Z77 won't offer you anything of significance within 2 years .... or even 3.....of course could say the same of Z68 over P67.