Sign in with
Your question

Month long research, final build list/review

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2012 10:12:37 PM

Hey guys,

All of your information has been priceless in my research on building the best computer I can right now for my needs. I've gone back and forth so many times but this is it..the final build list so I am ready to pull the trigger. Just asking one more time for a review, to see if anyone would change anything.

Plain and simple, I want to game.

Processor: i5-2500k
Cooler:Cooler master hyper 212 EVo
GPU: EVGA GTX 680
PSU: Corsair AX850w
SSD: M4 Crucial 128 gb
Windows 7 Professional
Ram: G.Skill 16gb 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 timing (i know its overkill..but I want it!)
case: cooler master haf x 932 blue edition
mobo: asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 1155
Maybe a suggestion on my hard drive?

That's it boys and girls. Any thing you would recommmend to change? I have everything else. Holla at a playa.
April 10, 2012 10:58:51 PM

Thanks G unit. I took your advice ( I think on a previous build) and selling my OCZ agility 3 SSD due to a bunch of negativity regarding it and upgrading it and paying more for the good stuff.

Does upgrading to a Z77 actually effect gaming performance? Or future upgrading potential?
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 11:09:07 PM

caseynelson said:
Thanks G unit. I took your advice ( I think on a previous build) and selling my OCZ agility 3 SSD due to a bunch of negativity regarding it and upgrading it and paying more for the good stuff.

Does upgrading to a Z77 actually effect gaming performance? Or future upgrading potential?

It won't affect gaming performance but it will affect future upgrading potential as in support for new RAM speeds, extra SATA ports, extra PCI Gen 3 lanes, and of course newer CPUs.
m
l
April 10, 2012 11:27:48 PM

Processor: i5-2500k
Sound choice

Cooler:Cooler master hyper 212 EVo
I'd do the 212's big bruddah .... Hyper 612 PWM

GPU: EVGA GTX 680
Sound choice

PSU: Corsair AX850w
HX850 is cheaper

SSD: M4 Crucial 128 gb
Id move up from Tier 5 to Tier 3
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmar...

Windows 7 Professional
Sound Choice

Ram: G.Skill 16gb 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 timing (i know its overkill..but I want it!)
2 x 8GB Im hoping. Make sure to skip the tall thoothy heat sink versions and if it were me, it woulkd be low profile Corsair Vengeance.

case: cooler master haf x 932 blue edition
Not one of my fav's .... Having built several, I prefer the HAF-X over the 932 but I'd rather build w/ teh Antec 1200, DF-85 or Corsair 500R in White. The 932's "tool-less" features I find damned frustrating and flimsy.

mobo: asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 1155
Can't get behind the only major MoBo manufacturer not to offer an industry standard 3 year warranty.

Quote:
Maybe a suggestion on my hard drive?

Seagate Barracuda XT's if ya can still get ya hands on them.

Quote:
Does upgrading to a Z77 actually effect gaming performance?

No

Quote:
Or future upgrading potential?

Ya MoBo has a two year warranty....Z77 won't offer you anything of significance within 2 years .... or even 3.....of course could say the same of Z68 over P67.
m
l
April 10, 2012 11:41:50 PM

I would not go that far. All the benchmarks I have seen shows that IB is worth it, especially since it will release at SB prices.
m
l
April 11, 2012 2:36:40 AM

Is switching to 2x8gb sticks for spacing reasons or does 4v4 change gaming performance? Also do the G.skills have too tall or heat sinks that it would cause a problem??
m
l
!