Sign in with
Your question

ADM ATI HD Audio making onboard sound card ineffective

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2012 9:52:26 AM

I put in a new graphics card, AMD HD 4350 to be exact, and it has an HDMI port on it.
I installed all of it's drivers, including the HD sound drivers, but then I realized I had no sound. One system sound has worked, but others do not. And no speaker sounds will work. I have checked out the control panel and gone to sound and it has NO playback options that I can even change, and the past drivers I would use for sound (Realtek) are now gone. I have tried uninstalling the ATI HD drivers and reinstalling Realtek, and no luck has come my way. I have no idea what to do.
July 24, 2012 12:15:50 PM

I *think* I know: AMD only allows their HDMI audio to work when using either the native HDMI output or a DVI to HDMI converter licensed by AMD. If thats not how you have the GPU connected, then the audio output disables itself.

By default, windows hides non-active audio output devices. If the driver installation automatically switched to the AMD GPU, that would explain why you see no playback devices. There should be a setting to tick that allows disabled devices to be shown; tick that and report what audio output devices you can see.
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 6:11:57 AM

gamerk316 said:
I *think* I know: AMD only allows their HDMI audio to work when using either the native HDMI output or a DVI to HDMI converter licensed by AMD. If thats not how you have the GPU connected, then the audio output disables itself.

By default, windows hides non-active audio output devices. If the driver installation automatically switched to the AMD GPU, that would explain why you see no playback devices. There should be a setting to tick that allows disabled devices to be shown; tick that and report what audio output devices you can see.

Hi, I might have a similar problem too... new machine with AMD HD 7950 gfx card, thing is, the audio was working from the onboard sound in the beginning, then later I switched to HDMI output (got a tv) and was getting sound thru HDMI. Now I have had to switch back to DVI + on-board audio (tv taken back by my parents), and I cant get any sound thru the on-board audio.

Have tried a host of possible solutions, including driver reinstalls, windows 7-64 bit generic drivers, BIOS setting to enable on-board audio and realtek hd manager settings too (front jack detection and AC97 vs HD settings) .. but no luck, still no sound through either front or rear panel and speakers are still not plugged in...

I think that you may be onto something with AMD disabling on-board audio.. do you know how to confirm this ?
m
l
August 7, 2012 12:08:20 PM

Check the control panel -> Sounds tab. Check which device is selected as the default output device.
m
l
!