Is 8ms good for games like BF3? Is this monitor worth it?

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
There's a reason that 30 inch monitors are 2560x1600. A 37 inch TV may look fine from the other side of the room, but bring that in to within a few feet of your face, and your eyes will be begging for mercy.

i don't think 8ms is good for writing a letter. what about ghosting ? as other poster said, if you plan on sitting 8-10 feet away from the monitor clarity will be good. who does that ?

Realize that the 37" TV has the same resolution as some 15/17" laptops - as the size goes up, the pixel count does as well in order to look good from a close distance.

Also doesn't look like a spectacular brand and it's a refurb, so its reliability is suspect in my book.

For gaming, grab a 23.6 - 24" 1920 x 1200 / 1080 monitor, preferable 120 Hz model.

While the Dell IPS monitors are make fine photo and video editing platforms, gamers will find them looking "washed" out. The IPS panels are made to display true . realistic colors..... I have both a U2410 Dell IPS and an Asus 120 Hz TN monitor.... the Asus monitor at half the price, blows away the IPS panel in gaming .... I would never attempt however to perform photo editing on it. The IPS panel owns that world.

Watch a game, any game, on the two side by side and 99/100 people will say the TN panel looks much more vibrant ..... yes the colors aren't realistic but the game designers aren't going for real, they are going for impressive. On the TN panel, the grass is greener, the water is bluer .... yada yada yada ....

Dell U2410 - Cover Girl w/o makeup
Asus 120Hz monitor - Cover Girl w/makeup

You want the dream or the reality ? :)

+1

@ the OP. If you don't plan on making a career of CAD, photo shop, etc... then look at a monitor with low response time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%2050001077%20600060968%20600030956%20600255030&IsNodeId=1&name=120Hz <----- SAMSUNG 2ms Full HD LED BackLight LCD 120Hz 3D Monitors

I have the U2312HM, which has 8ms response and compared it with my LG monitor, which has 5ms response time, and have notice no ghosting on either and the Dell didn't have more than the other either.

I believe that refresh rate is the key factor there, IIRC. I thought response time was somewhat equivalent to input lag.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
most monitors/tv has a response time of like 8 or so

ok for the important part response time of 5 ms gtg (grey to grey) its just that part and for the most color, it would be higher like 10-16 or so, but if your lucky and find a 2-5ms (overall color not only gtg) then go grab that specially if it's 120hz monitor, but a 60hz monitor should suffice

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
For the most part, everything you have heard from just about every response is wrong, or at least hasnt really tried it. Been using a 37 inch 1080p screen (8ms) since early 2005 and currently us an LG 47 inch 1080p 120hz screen. Best upgrade I have ever done. And before anyone comments, oh well, he probably doesnt know the difference, I do. Use 3 screens on my main machine, one 47 inch, and two Samsung 24 inch screens for left and right. Main gaming is on the 47 and love every minute of it. Only sit about 2-3 feet from the screen and like I said, best upgrade I can ever remember. Screen fonts look awesome, love web browsing, video editing, sound editing, and encoding with my main system. Secondary gaming box is 3 x LG 24 inch screens and really I still prefer the larger screen. MMO gaming, BF3 fps, RTS gaming, you name it, I dont see a disadvantage. Power by dual 6970's, I cant say there is anything I would change, other than maybe having three of them for eyefinity. I cant comment on that exact screen you linked, but a good 1080P HD screen and good characteristics, like low refresh times, high contrast, etc, make for excellent primary monitors. Everyone who thinks otherwise has likely tried connecting to a 720p non 1080P native resolution based (FULLHD) screen and learned the hard way that not all HD screens are created equal. 1080P HD screens DO make excellent monitors if you look for the right ones. And PIP tv watching is also a nice gimme.

And how is what he said right? I can see a very distinct difference between HDTVs and monitors. TVs usually have odd filters that skew the colors - several HDTVs I used with my MacBook looked quite dull in color, and I could see the pixels from 5 ft away. You may find a gem once in a while, but overall the monitors are geared towards PC users while TVs are built for longer distance viewing.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Saying every response is wrong is like saying anyone who likes red over blue is wrong.

1) To answer the question, do you know how long a ms is? No, you will not notice the difference between 1ms and 8ms. If you don't believe me go play with that reaction time website. It is insane how differently you will click each time, and notice the huge variance in time when you are absolutely positive "you clicked it faster that time" when in fact you clicked it more slowly.

2) My opinion is that is wayyyyy too big if you're sitting close. Personally I do not like to see each pixel, and with that size and resolution you will see individual pixes if you are sitting any closer than 10 feet.

3) I play BF3 on a 32" sitting 3 feet away, and managing that much real estate with my mouse is very challenging. I'm currently shopping a 27" just for that issue alone....and, I don't like seeing individual pixels.

So if you would rather see things large, but with less clarity, by all means go ahead. But if you don't like seeing individual pixels, that screen is too big for that resolution. And the "ms" issue is really the last thing to worry about in this case.

Edit:
There is no difference between a 1080 "monitor" and a 1080 "TV" other than the TV may have speakers on it. Resolution is resolution. There is no magic color programming they do to monitors. You will see differences between brands, and features, and what not, but holding all those things constant they are the same. Now if you're comparing a 16:10 1200 resolution "monitor" to a 16:9 1080 resolution "HDTV" then sure, there will be huge differences.

if am not wrong then that TV is refurbished.and for gaming
monitor>tv.
a 37" with 1080p res will not look great at all.image will not be crispy to look at due to low pixel density.better get a good asus or samsung 23~24" 1080p 120 hz monitor.but they are usually more expensive.for $200,this one is a really good monitor-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153
it is better than that *refurbished 37" 1080p* tv.

+1.using a TV instead of a monitor is just like using a firepro card for gaming :lol: