Multiple Users

November 3, 2004 12:41:51 PM

I wanted to have 3 users on my computer XP Home of course, but the OS wants
me to install the same program for each user that wants it.
example. Users 1, 2 and 3 want MS Office installed but only User 1 wants
SISoft Sandra.
Why can't I just install MS Office to all at once. Is there an option
somewhere?

Thanks

More about : multiple users

November 3, 2004 3:50:12 PM

David wrote:

> I wanted to have 3 users on my computer XP Home of course, but the OS wants
> me to install the same program for each user that wants it.
> example. Users 1, 2 and 3 want MS Office installed but only User 1 wants
> SISoft Sandra.
> Why can't I just install MS Office to all at once. Is there an option
> somewhere?
>
> Thanks

Ummm, I would be install the program and then create a shortcut to it in
c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs if you want
everyone to have access to it.

If you only want a specific user to have access to it, put the shortcut
in c:\documents and settings\username\start menu\programs.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 12:51:21 AM

Hi,

Normally, you would have to install the same program under all the user accounts and this is
specially the case if the accounts are non-admin accounts. Installing the programs individually
under each account makes sure that all the accounts have the respective shortcuts to the program.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"David" <hooter@sasktel.net> wrote in message news:10ohus4av5g6rc2@corp.supernews.com...
>I wanted to have 3 users on my computer XP Home of course, but the OS wants me to install the same
>program for each user that wants it.
> example. Users 1, 2 and 3 want MS Office installed but only User 1 wants SISoft Sandra.
> Why can't I just install MS Office to all at once. Is there an option somewhere?
>
> Thanks

November 4, 2004 6:02:55 AM

Hi David,

For Office, this has to do with one registry edit.

Run line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award