Multiple Users

I wanted to have 3 users on my computer XP Home of course, but the OS wants
me to install the same program for each user that wants it.
example. Users 1, 2 and 3 want MS Office installed but only User 1 wants
SISoft Sandra.
Why can't I just install MS Office to all at once. Is there an option
somewhere?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about multiple users

    David wrote:

    > I wanted to have 3 users on my computer XP Home of course, but the OS wants
    > me to install the same program for each user that wants it.
    > example. Users 1, 2 and 3 want MS Office installed but only User 1 wants
    > SISoft Sandra.
    > Why can't I just install MS Office to all at once. Is there an option
    > somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks

    Ummm, I would be install the program and then create a shortcut to it in
    c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs if you want
    everyone to have access to it.

    If you only want a specific user to have access to it, put the shortcut
    in c:\documents and settings\username\start menu\programs.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    Hi,

    Normally, you would have to install the same program under all the user accounts and this is
    specially the case if the accounts are non-admin accounts. Installing the programs individually
    under each account makes sure that all the accounts have the respective shortcuts to the program.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "David" <hooter@sasktel.net> wrote in message news:10ohus4av5g6rc2@corp.supernews.com...
    >I wanted to have 3 users on my computer XP Home of course, but the OS wants me to install the same
    >program for each user that wants it.
    > example. Users 1, 2 and 3 want MS Office installed but only User 1 wants SISoft Sandra.
    > Why can't I just install MS Office to all at once. Is there an option somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi David,

    For Office, this has to do with one registry edit.

    Run line 171 (right hand side) and ignore the name:

    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "David" <hooter@sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >I wanted to have 3 users on my computer XP Home of course, but the OS wants
    >me to install the same program for each user that wants it.
    > example. Users 1, 2 and 3 want MS Office installed but only User 1 wants
    > SISoft Sandra.
    > Why can't I just install MS Office to all at once. Is there an option
    > somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks

Configuration Office Customization Microsoft Windows XP