Case Mod (Fans)

jezzba

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hey guys i was wondering on how to cut some mounting places for my case
I just want to add 2 120mm fan on top of my case but i dont know the correct equipment to use and how to do it properly

Thanks

Solution
Ok I agree with the guys above around cost/damage but for me there is another element - the fun of the project and an opportunity to learn something.

I really enjoy getting my Dremel tool out and modding my PC, especially when it goes right and looks good. Which brings me on to my next suggestion - get an old unwanted pc case and have a test run on that first. You will make mistakes if this is your first time cutting into a PC case and equally if its your first time with a hole saw or dremel tool.

To do it, in short, work out where you need your hole. measure this 3 times to be sure you got it right. Then cover the area in masking tape so you cant scratch the case while working. To measure the exact hole, the easiest way is to buy a...

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I know a lot of people do this but it sounds like a bad idea to me especially if it's on an expensive case. Why don't you but a new case with space for the fans built in. I have a Zalman Z9 Plus case, it can hold 7 fans 2 of which are 120mm on the top.

Lutfij

Titan
google MNPC tech and you'll find some videos on DIY modding. The videos by Bill will also mention what hardware you'll need for the job.

FYI - I side with the option of going for a new case. The old one can be used for another lighter usage build(by that I lower TDP) while the new one does its job. Besides the old case modding might hamper the hardware thats inside case such as obstructing ramsinks/coolers/mosfets or even the PSU+wires/ing

Hollerrr

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

If he decides to buy a new case, he may as well have a crack at modding his old case :p

Unless of course, he intends to sell it.

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Good point. He could also use it to build a new PC, for example I used my old case to build a really low end computer that I just use for simple school work, it saves me lots of electricity.

mrsav25

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Ok I agree with the guys above around cost/damage but for me there is another element - the fun of the project and an opportunity to learn something.

I really enjoy getting my Dremel tool out and modding my PC, especially when it goes right and looks good. Which brings me on to my next suggestion - get an old unwanted pc case and have a test run on that first. You will make mistakes if this is your first time cutting into a PC case and equally if its your first time with a hole saw or dremel tool.

To do it, in short, work out where you need your hole. measure this 3 times to be sure you got it right. Then cover the area in masking tape so you cant scratch the case while working. To measure the exact hole, the easiest way is to buy a £2 120mm fan grill and draw around that - simple.

I personally use a Dremel rotory tool, cutting the same way they do on many of the YouTube guides that are out there. I'll leave you to search for those as seeing it being done is most useful. Top tip - don't force the tool, let the tool do the work and take your time.

Once the hole is cut, you can give it a nice edge with soem rubber U-channel sold at many PC modding stores. drill the holes for your fan screws (again, use the grill to see where to drill) and dont push down to hard or you will make an indent on your case.

Thats pretty high level but it's what I do and the results are good if you just take your time. Measure 3+ times - grab a coffee - look over things for any obvious errors - and then cut.

Good luck

Solution

mrsav25

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
So generally you need:

- Rotory tool (Doesn't have to be a Dremel brand)
- Rotory tool metal cutting disks
- Masking tape
- Drill (or drill function on dremel tool)
- Rubber U-channel