Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics Card upgrade from GT 240

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Resolution
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 2, 2012 10:57:08 PM

Hey everyone,

Running Q8300 overclocked to 3.1
xpower 585 powersupply
GeForce GT 240 graphics card
4GB DDR3 Ram
1680x1050 resolution

Looking to play games on ultra and keep 40+ FPS
Deciding between HD 6950, GTX 470, and HD 6870.

Some other points I thought of:
What is the difference in the brand models other than slight appearance changes?
Would getting the 2GB version over the 1GB show greater performance at my resolution?
Do you think I would see a major bottleneck from my CPU on any of these cards?
My system is 2-3 years old and I may like to transfer this card over to a new system within the next year, I want a little wiggle room for that.


THanks in advance!

More about : graphics card upgrade 240

February 3, 2012 7:49:30 AM

GTX560 Ti. Great card, good price! Has a decent amount of CUDA Cores for Physx and works a charm.

As an answer to your other questions:
1) Brand doesn't really matter, apart from the fact that some include more accessories, better customer support, and different heatsink design and custom tech.
2) You may get better performance with a 2GB version, but it really depends on what card it is as having to much VRAM could cause an internal bottleneck. And at your res, no. 1920x1080+ with 2GB really.
3) You may get a bottleneck, but thats only if you get a REALLY powerful card like a GTX580 or 7970.
m
0
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 9:02:16 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1)It's from MSI, a known brand and famous of making Graphic cards, Motherboards, Laptop and many more.
2) Since you are using 1680x1050, there is no reason to get 2GB, even when you are using 1920x1080, you still won't benefit the 2GB of the RAM, Only you'll benefit the 2GB when you want to use QHD or WQXGA (Larger) or Multi-Monitor
3) There would be a bottleneck, but since you overclock to a pretty decent clock, If you see some bottlenecks, you would get a better cooler and higher the clock more.

But, I doubt the PSU, show me the details about it?
6950 is also future proof, even if you want to upgrade to 1080p.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 9:21:44 AM

hd 6950 will be better to get for gaming in other hand gtx 560 ti will be good for overclocking and as refillable said that msi is one of the famous manufacture because msi produts got the better cooler and good overclocking ability and if u want an 2gb hd 6950 on that price so take a look at this its an sapphire thats also an good and well known manufacturer and also got a good cooling.:) 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

just $20 more and same after rebate.

m
0
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 9:32:04 AM

That's a good one sunnk :D .
m
0
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 9:40:50 AM

refillable said:
That's a good one sunnk :D .


thanks.:) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 9:48:18 AM

At 1680x1050, even a 6870 or 6850 will work because I have upgraded from an old GT 240 to a 6850. Works like a charm so much better performance on 1080p.
m
0
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 9:55:12 AM

samuelspark said:
At 1680x1050, even a 6870 or 6850 will work because I have upgraded from an old GT 240 to a 6850. Works like a charm so much better performance on 1080p.



but its not an future proof card as the hd 6950 is now.
m
0
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 10:11:31 AM

Yes, when you are upgrading to 1920x1080, you will see why.
m
0
l
February 3, 2012 10:43:07 AM

sunnk said:
hd 6950 will be better to get for gaming in other hand gtx 560 ti will be good for overclocking and as refillable said that msi is one of the famous manufacture because msi produts got the better cooler and good overclocking ability and if u want an 2gb hd 6950 on that price so take a look at this its an sapphire thats also an good and well known manufacturer and also got a good cooling.:) 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

just $20 more and same after rebate.

when Overclocked both 560ti and 6950 the 6950 still comes out ahead plus Radeon has better picture quality.
m
0
l
February 3, 2012 10:46:51 AM

sonnyd09 said:
GTX560 Ti. Great card, good price! Has a decent amount of CUDA Cores for Physx and works a charm.

As an answer to your other questions:
1) Brand doesn't really matter, apart from the fact that some include more accessories, better customer support, and different heatsink design and custom tech.
2) You may get better performance with a 2GB version, but it really depends on what card it is as having to much VRAM could cause an internal bottleneck. And at your res, no. 1920x1080+ with 2GB really.
3) You may get a bottleneck, but thats only if you get a REALLY powerful card like a GTX580 or 7970.

6950 and 560ti when both OCed to the max 6950 still comes out on top plus it is faster stock so..... however to 560ti credit it is a bit cooler running and costs $10 less LOL.
m
0
l
February 3, 2012 10:51:21 AM

rholcomb3 said:
Hey everyone,

Running Q8300 overclocked to 3.1
xpower 585 powersupply
GeForce GT 240 graphics card
4GB DDR3 Ram
1680x1050 resolution

Looking to play games on ultra and keep 40+ FPS
Deciding between HD 6950, GTX 470, and HD 6870.

Some other points I thought of:
What is the difference in the brand models other than slight appearance changes?
Would getting the 2GB version over the 1GB show greater performance at my resolution?
Do you think I would see a major bottleneck from my CPU on any of these cards?
My system is 2-3 years old and I may like to transfer this card over to a new system within the next year, I want a little wiggle room for that.


THanks in advance!

Stay away from GTX 470 it's Hot and power hog and considered one of Nvidias epic fail cards . @ your rez a 6850/6870 would perform great and a 6950 would perform even better and 6950 is faster than a GTX 470 and the same price and faster than a 560ti which was the replacement for the GTX 470.
m
0
l
!