Startup

November 3, 2004 10:46:04 AM

I have three applications that startup automatically when I log on to my PC.
How do I set the PC so the same application (an excel timekeeping
spreadsheet) appears last on the screen so as to prompt me to 'clock on' in
the morning?

Thanks to anyone who can offer assistance.

More about : startup

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 11:58:20 AM

Change the names, read on.

Execution Order for starting programs

With Windows XP Home, There are 13+ places that programs can start from and
they are executed in the following order:

Before Logon
1)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

After Logon
3)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run
8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
13) As a Scheduled Task set to run at startup.

[[Startups in groups 6 to 11 all run at the same time (more or less).
However, the groups themselves are triggered in the order shown above. In
other words, the next group can begin launching while the previous group is
still loading its startups. Due to timing issues it is impossible to say
what order these items will finish loading, thus it is impossible to
predict the exact order of execution for individual startups. For instance,
you may notice two or more system tray icons changing position with each
boot - even when no changes have been made to the order.]]

[[The order of items within a group is not necessarily the final order, as
some programs take longer than others to load, and synchronous groups can
overlap each other.]]

Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order in 10
and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.

For example; dfg.exe, fgh.exe and ghj.exe would start in that order. To
change the order rename to aghj.exe,bdfg.exe and cfgh.exe. They would then
start in that order.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:91FCF4EC-9CEE-4914-9F4F-6DDACF2B6380@microsoft.com,
Diana, England <DianaEngland@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have three applications that startup automatically when I log on to
> my PC. How do I set the PC so the same application (an excel
> timekeeping spreadsheet) appears last on the screen so as to prompt
> me to 'clock on' in the morning?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can offer assistance.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:00:10 PM

Oops. Let that go too quick.

Change the names of the startup shortcuts.
i.e.
aprogram name
bprogram name
cprogram name

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:91FCF4EC-9CEE-4914-9F4F-6DDACF2B6380@microsoft.com,
Diana, England <DianaEngland@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have three applications that startup automatically when I log on to
> my PC. How do I set the PC so the same application (an excel
> timekeeping spreadsheet) appears last on the screen so as to prompt
> me to 'clock on' in the morning?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can offer assistance.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 6:32:28 PM

Diana, England wrote:
> I have three applications that startup automatically when I log on to
> my PC. How do I set the PC so the same application (an excel
> timekeeping spreadsheet) appears last on the screen so as to prompt
> me to 'clock on' in the morning?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can offer assistance.

You could go here: www.r2.com.au and download & install "StartDelay".

Use it to start your programs in the order you want.
--
Remove nospam in email
!