Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Extremely High Temp

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2012 3:35:49 PM

I have a HP Pavilion desktop PC which is about 3.5 years old. A few months back it kept continuously shutting down for no reason and with no warning. I checked my temps and my CPU and Motherboard temps were very high, 113 degrees C yet my graphics temp was very low, around 46 degrees C. I took it apart and cleaned it out very well to find my CPU and motherboard temps went down to 53 and 56 degrees C and have stayed that low. However, since I have done this my graphics temp has crept up until now it is about 115 degrees C all the time. I use my PC primarily for internet courses but my husband plays a game, World Of Warcraft. He is having extremely bad frame rates of 2fps. We are pretty sure it is due to the high temp of the graphics card. We have re-cleaned the PC, taken the side off and left if off, and have tried a fan pointed towards the pc and nothing helps. Our house is relatively cool, around 70 degrees F on average.

Is there anything I can do to increase the performance of my PC/graphics card to help my husband obtain better picture and clarity for his game and for my school work with out having to purchase a new graphics card?
We planned on purchasing a new graphics card at the end of August when we will have the money, but until then we would love to have a computer that is actually able to work.
Thanks in advance!
a c 109 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 3:40:47 PM

You need to check if the fan on the graphics card is spinning (if it has one).
What is the model for the computer?
The graphics card can be upgraded and is a good way to improve performance.
m
l
July 24, 2012 3:53:57 PM

I am honestly not to sure how to check to see if it is spinning, but looking at it I know it isn't.
The model number is HPw2558hc
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 3:56:51 PM

Ok, apparently I really don't know what I am doing. Model number is m9517c, not the number I listed above. Sorry
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:41:47 PM

turn it on and stick your finger in it....no pain...no spin... :)  Seriously, if you touch the center of the fan it wont hurt you, but you can tell if it is spinning. You can buy after market coolers for most graphics cards for $20-$40, which is much cheaper than a new card and should only take a few minutes to install (I have done this on many of my graphics cards)....If you ignore this your card will eventually burn out.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 5:51:15 PM

Phenom-9550 2.2Ghz @ 95w
Pegatron M2N78-LA AM2 (Violet-GL8E)
nVidia Geforce 9300 GE

Have you replaced the thermal paste for the cpu, video card and core chipset, you can't just use the old stuff without causing issues.

If the video card hit 115c, then it would be a smouldering mass, you have bad sensors.
m
l
July 24, 2012 11:30:03 PM

Your PC seems to have some solid issue and considering you dont have the knowledge to identify whether the fan is spinning or not ( seriously no offense meant) , its better you take it to Service Center / Repair Center / Dealer ...

Check your warranty ( sometime you might get lucky , once i lucked out on a warranty with just a day before it expired )

Iam saying this as even if you get some very good advices , considering things might go wrong for you , better take it to proper hands.

Thank you .
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:01:33 AM

To be clear, I KNOW the GPU fan is not running. I have the side off of my PC right now with it on and running and the fan does not turn. I have went into my settings through NVIDIA and attempted to manually switch the speed of the fan and that does nothing. I have taken my graphics card out and cleaned it as well as the fan on it and it still does nothing. The fan seems very hard to turn with even my fingers. It doesn't really want to turn at all.

I called my local Best Buy and spoke to their geek squad and they suggested just purchasing a whole new graphics card (which I know we need) but we were trying to skip that expense at this time and were hoping there was a way to attempt to fix our graphics card to hold out just a little longer.
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:03:46 AM

windsymphony said:
Your PC seems to have some solid issue and considering you dont have the knowledge to identify whether the fan is spinning or not ( seriously no offense meant) , its better you take it to Service Center / Repair Center / Dealer ...

Check your warranty ( sometime you might get lucky , once i lucked out on a warranty with just a day before it expired )

Iam saying this as even if you get some very good advices , considering things might go wrong for you , better take it to proper hands.

Thank you .

No offense taken at all. I know very little about computers and what I do know I have googled over the last couple months in hopes of fixing our PC problems. I have checked warranty and it expired already so there is no hope there unfortunately. I am not sure of our local tech places so I will do some research on that to see what I can find. Hopefully we can get some help. Thank you :) 
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:05:24 AM

das_stig said:
Phenom-9550 2.2Ghz @ 95w
Pegatron M2N78-LA AM2 (Violet-GL8E)
nVidia Geforce 9300 GE

Have you replaced the thermal paste for the cpu, video card and core chipset, you can't just use the old stuff without causing issues.

If the video card hit 115c, then it would be a smouldering mass, you have bad sensors.

To be honest, I have no idea what a "thermal paste for the cpu, video card, and core chipset" is.

I have checked our CPU, motherboard, and GPU temps several times. Running on idle it is about 105 C but if my husband gets on his game, World of Warcraft, the temp gets up to 115C and his frame rates drop radically from about 86 down to 2 fps.
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:17:15 AM

NVIDIA GEForce 9300 GE is the graphics card that came with our PC. As I said it is 3.5 years old. We have never upgraded anything and only use the PC for my schooling and my husbands gaming. The only game he plays is World of Warcraft and occasionally Star Wars The Old Republic.

If I am unable to fix my current graphics card (Which I doubt I will be able to), are their any suggestions for which model I should replace it with?

Seeing as I am not very good with technology the one I found which thought may do the trick as to give my husband some good game play was a
NVIDIA GEForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0???
Not sure if this is suitable or not. We aren't wanting some huge elaborate thing, but if we are going to buy one would rather buy a decent one and not some cheap $50 one we will replace in 6 months.
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:35:45 AM

Because the fact you had normal GPU temps before and by the sounds of it your temps are going sky high from the fan being broken i would suggest to measure up the fan size. You probably wont be able to find a fan that fits perfectly but you could probably retrofit a small fan to mount to your heatsink. your other option is to buy a used card say off kijiji or go with something like a 7750. I am not sure the make/model of the PSU you have in your machine but looking up the model number of your current rig looks like a 350w PSU. a 7750 should have no problems running off of a PSU like that. The retro fit of the fan will be the cheapest option but in my opinion your probably better off getting the new card.
m
l
July 25, 2012 3:37:02 AM

Deeks said:
Because the fact you had normal GPU temps before and by the sounds of it your temps are going sky high from the fan being broken i would suggest to measure up the fan size. You probably wont be able to find a fan that fits perfectly but you could probably retrofit a small fan to mount to your heatsink. your other option is to buy a used card say off kijiji or go with something like a 7750. I am not sure the make/model of the PSU you have in your machine but looking up the model number of your current rig looks like a 350w PSU. a 7750 should have no problems running off of a PSU like that. The retro fit of the fan will be the cheapest option but in my opinion your probably better off getting the new card.

Thank you very much for your information. I actually found a 7750 for only $107 with HIS cooling in it. Which is under what we had expected to pay. I appreciate the assistance. Thanks again!
m
l
!