Sign in with
Your question

Hard Freezes. Can't figure out if its CPU or GPU. Need help!

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2012 3:50:32 PM

Computer hard freezes on average every 10-15 minutes. Screen locks and am forced to power off.

GPU is reading temps around 75C (under load)
CPU is reading temps around 71C (under load)

I have a shuttle computer (lame i know).
CPU: Q6600 quad core
GPU: GTX 470

CPU Fan is spinning, GPU fan is spinning. I reapplied thermal compound. I formatted HD.

I have been running the same setup for over a year with no issues. Now all the sudden i have this problem. I am uncertain if my graphics card had taken a dump after only a year (right out of warranty). Or am I looking at a possible CPU over heating problem? Freezes typically while gaming (starcraft 2). Happens whether i have graphics set to all the way high or medium which leads me more at the CPU. However I have had GPUs freeze my computer before but that usually throws artifacts on the screen, not hard freezes. Never hard this before.
a c 219 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 4:30:12 PM

What is the video card driver version? Have you recently updated it? If you have recently updated it then try going back to the previous driver.
The motherboards bios , has it been updated recently? I would reinstall the motherboards bios with the same version first to see if that fixes it and update to the next newest version if it doesn't.
It doesn't take much to corrup the bios and this can be the result. Do you have a motherboard with dual bios? If you do then switch to the other bios chip , the bios chip can go bad. I had a similar situation that drove me nuts trying to find out the cause of game crashes and it ended up being a defective bios chip , had it replaced and has been running fine ever since.
m
l
July 24, 2012 4:45:23 PM

inzone said:
What is the video card driver version? Have you recently updated it? If you have recently updated it then try going back to the previous driver.
The motherboards bios , has it been updated recently? I would reinstall the motherboards bios with the same version first to see if that fixes it and update to the next newest version if it doesn't.
It doesn't take much to corrup the bios and this can be the result. Do you have a motherboard with dual bios? If you do then switch to the other bios chip , the bios chip can go bad. I had a similar situation that drove me nuts trying to find out the cause of game crashes and it ended up being a defective bios chip , had it replaced and has been running fine ever since.

I'd second this. Really good troubleshooting steps.

+1
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 6:24:46 PM

Tried multiple version of drivers with same freezing. Bios has never been updated before. System hasnt been touching in 6 months , last thing i did was put a SSD on there 6 months ago. Everything been running great until now. Play the same games etc.
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 7:20:00 PM

When you put the SSD in did you set the sata contrller to AHCI? You can't do it now once the OS is loaded but at the time of install is when you change the sata controller.
m
l
July 24, 2012 7:34:31 PM

the SSD drive has been in for 6+ months working fine. Nothing was changed hardware wise. I believe i changed that when i first put the SSD in yes. Could it be the SSD bad?
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 7:44:08 PM

I don't know at this point because it could be other things. I will say that the defective bios chip can still be an option because when I had that problem the computer worked fine except for gaming when it would crash the game. So it was hard to find the problem because of that and thats why I had suggested reloading the bios file because the bios file could also be corrupt even though you haven't touched it recently. I would even try updating the bios just to make sure that it's not that causing the issue.
m
l
July 24, 2012 8:15:43 PM

Just put in my old 8800 GT video card, and computer still freezing, so its not the video card. 1 thing eliminated at least
m
l
!