Sign in with
Your question

Software to monitor internet connectivity through wireless router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 1, 2011 2:47:13 PM

Hello,
I have a cable modem with a wireless router attached. There are 2 laptops that connect to the internet via the router. I've never been able to get the hard wired desktop to connect to the internet via the router, so, when the desktop is used, the router is disconnected from the modem and the desktop is connected.
I do not have free access to the modem, router or desktop devices, but I do have free access to the 2 laptops. I would like to be able to install on one of the laptops, something that would keep track of the internet connectivity. I know that even when the router is disconnected from the modem, it is still sending it's wireless signal (most likely) but it's not connected to the internet anymore. So, I would like to be able to know the date and time the router looses internet connectivity .. and the date and time it gets the connectivity back --- every time this happens.
I would love to be able to monitor the activity that takes place on the internet during that time frame, but know it's not possible when all I have access to is a wirelessly connected laptop that would lose the internet connectivity. So, it would be a help just to be able to know when the router is disconnected and how long it is disconnected.
And I would like this software to be rather - discreet ... invisible ...

Thank you.
July 1, 2011 6:41:52 PM

If you want to track when the router loses connectivity, you need to look at the log of the router, not the laptop. Here is a list of different software available to track the laptop's connections http://www.netmon.org/tools.htm
m
l
Related resources
!