Sign in with
Your question

Downclocking a 2700k

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2012 3:51:40 PM

Hey guys, I'm contemplating replacing my old rig with a new one, and while I have a basic grasp of "overclocking", I'm not entirely sure how well it translates into underclocking and have found surprisingly little information on it, search results being drowned out by actual overclocking info. As such, I would appreciate some feedback/advice, just to make sure I don't go break any expensive new hardware.

The plan at the moment is to get a 2700k i7 processor and downclock it from 3.5Ghz to about 2.5Ghz.

Some people probably think the idea of taking off a whole 1Ghz is crazy, but my current rig is an old Core 2 Duo at 2.1Ghz, and asside from things like recording, livestreaming and rendering, it does everything I need it to, and plays almost everything I need it to without issue. I'm not going to use a whole 3.5Ghz most of the time, and for those times when I need it, I can temporatily increase the performance.

So, my questions are as follows:
1. Do I simply want to change the multiplier from 35x to 25x and leave the base clock and voltage the same? or am I tweaking the voltage and the base clock and such too? Bearing in mind I want to be reducing the heat and noise produced while I'm at it.

2. It's a tad off topic, but I read somewhere that I shouldn't plug RAM over 1.5v in with this processor if I want it to last as long as possible?

Thanks in advance guys.

More about : downclocking 2700k

July 24, 2012 4:38:18 PM

If I recall correctly, CPU's and GPU's autoclock down to save power when not in heavy use.

When I'm just looking at a static webpage (like right now) my 965BE auto downclocks to 800mhz (x4)

a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 5:04:54 PM

Why would you want to do that. The 2700k is a very power efficient chip. And it automatically downclocks itself when the full clockspeed is not needed.

I think the only difference you would see is a slightly more sluggish, slightly less responsive system.

I used to have an i7 920 which I overclocked to 4.0ghz. I really noticed the difference when (eg after a bios update, or if the bios loaded default values for some reason), it ran at stock speed.

The result was just a system that was slightly more sluggish and slightly less nice to use. That's the only result you would see if you downclocked a 2700k
Related resources
July 24, 2012 5:09:19 PM

I don't understund why you need to downlock your cpu i run my cores all the time at 3 Ghz and i get a boost from bios to 3.3Ghz at 100% load there are not over heating problems when i serf, mailing, irc, listen music,watching movies, etc.

You can look at your manual to set power managmentfo the cpu with the bios finctions Intel Speed Step, CPU Enhaced Halt (C1E), Thermal monitor. older cpus never drops below 2ghz but that dosesn't offer you any real advandage in the tempratures of the cores.

Don't play with the memory voltage it can be burned really easy read the manual or find the official web site manufacturer to set the ram always in the corect coltage.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 5:09:36 PM

sandybridge cpus dont run hot or noisy anyway and my 2600k drops to 1600mhz when doing non intensive things

and automatically lowers the voltage

so underclocking manually is a bit pointless

but if you want to do it anyway

drop the multiplier to 25 and slowly lower the cpu voltage till its unstable then put it back up a notch

leave the bclk as it is

and yes 1.5v ram usually at 1600mhz is the best option--over 1600mhz goes up in price for very little performance gain

a c 109 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 5:10:38 PM

If you want to underclock it the really easy way, don't use the computer or make it go on idle, then the CPU will underclock.

you can turn down the multiplier and the voltage aswell but not too much.

You do know its not always at 3.5, sometimes it goes under (idle, around 1GHz,) and goes over (when needs performance- 3.9GHz).
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2012 5:11:38 PM

Giatrakis said:
I don't understund why you need to downlock your cpu i run my cores all the time at 3 Ghz and i get a boost from bios to 3.3Ghz at 100% load there are not over heating problems when i serf, mailing, irc, listen music,watching movies, etc.

You can look at your manual to set power managmentfo the cpu with the bios finctions Intel Speed Step, CPU Enhaced Halt (C1E), Thermal monitor. Sandy never drops below 2ghz but that dosesn't offer you any real advandage in the tempratures of the cores.

Don't play with the memory voltage it can be burned really easy read the manual or find the official web site manufacturer to set the ram always in the corect coltage.

Sandy never drops below 2ghz is wrong should drop to 16 x 100mhz on idle
a c 188 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 5:11:50 PM

Intel® Speedstep® will step the Intel® Core™ i7-2700K down to 1.6GHz when it isnt doing any thing but if you really want to save more power then that I would look at the Intel Core i7-2600S which is designed to save power without any input from your end.
July 24, 2012 5:16:45 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
sandybridge cpus dont run hot or noisy anyway and my 2600k drops to 1600mhz when doing non intensive things

and automatically lowers the voltage

so underclocking manually is a bit pointless

but if you want to do it anyway

drop the multiplier to 25 and slowly lower the cpu voltage till its unstable then put it back up a notch

leave the bclk as it is

and yes 1.5v ram usually at 1600mhz is the best option--over 1600mhz goes up in price for very little performance gain

+1

you can lower the voltage a bit a time and run a prime95 test with all the cpu cache and half the ram this way if the voltage is not right you loose 1 core with error fast finaly you can drop the voltage at the lowest working operational point without changing the multiplier. You will operate in 3.5 Gh idle but with -2 c -3 c to the cores during hot summer it helps

Ps yes 10nx mcnumpty23 i corrected the above.
!