Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Change my motherboard? need help!

Last response: in Components
Share
July 24, 2012 5:46:46 PM

Hey
Im close to ordering this gaming system but many people have said the i should change the motherboard. They say its not compatible with 3rd gen intel CPUs and that i should get a
z77 or h77 instead.
I don't really know what i should do as im very new to PC building and dont have alot more money to spend on this build. So far it is :

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB)
Hard Drive: 500GB
Optical Drive: 24x
Graphics card: MSI GTX 560 Ti 1024MB DDR5 TWIN FROZR II
Internet: TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe card

Does my motherboard not work with the i5 3450? Or should i only get a different motherboard if i want to upgrade my CPU soon?
Im not looking to over clock and just want a motherboard that will work well for gaming. Currently im spending £47 on my motherboard and the z77 is £78 while the h77 is around £70. (at ebuyer)

If i don't need to change the motherboard that would be great but if i have to, i would find it great if you could link it for sale in the UK for around the cost of my current one. :) 

Sorry for rambling and being a complete noob when it comes to building a PC

Thanks :) 

More about : change motherboard

July 24, 2012 6:07:04 PM

Ty, does this mean there is no need to change my motherboard?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 6:12:49 PM

should work fine

though no usb 3 or sata 2 or hdmi on it as its a lower spec board

a z68 or z77 would be more future proof but if that board meets your needs and budget then go for it
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 6:13:38 PM

if overclocking - then no the above mobo isn't right for the job, if no overclocking even when your rig will seem to crawl to a standstill...then the H61 mobo fits the bill perfectly.

I mentioned overclocking because most of us here on Tom's don't spend alot of our earnings on changing out mobo's and cpu's...well until we have an urgent need to. Otherwise we try squeezing every bit of juice out of a machine until it's telltale signs of age show or when we think it's had enough.

Your call if you're someone who spends all his money changing everything and anything when something new is round the corner.

my 2 cents :) 
July 24, 2012 6:16:40 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
should work fine

though no usb 3 or sata 2 or hdmi on it as its a lower spec board

a z68 or z77 would be more future proof but if that board meets your needs and budget then go for it



No hdmi? sorry to sound like an idiot but can i still attach http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HLbid-widescreen-monit... to it? Also it'll only have 2 usb slots, is there and way to get more?
I can spend a little more on the motherboard if needed.
July 24, 2012 6:19:05 PM

Lutfij said:
if overclocking - then no the above mobo isn't right for the job, if no overclocking even when your rig will seem to crawl to a standstill...then the H61 mobo fits the bill perfectly.

I mentioned overclocking because most of us here on Tom's don't spend alot of our earnings on changing out mobo's and cpu's...well until we have an urgent need to. Otherwise we try squeezing every bit of juice out of a machine until it's telltale signs of age show or when we think it's had enough.

Your call if you're someone who spends all his money changing everything and anything when something new is round the corner.

my 2 cents :) 


Would there be any changes i could make that would not cost too much to allow SLIGHT overclocking? I want to be able to play latest games with good fps. It seems overclocking will get allot more fps :) 
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 6:23:17 PM

what is the max you can spend on your mobo?

link all your stuff, maybe we can take another look and tweak it a bit more and get you stuff YOU'LL really need in the future :) 
July 24, 2012 6:25:42 PM

Lutfij said:
what is the max you can spend on your mobo?

link all your stuff, maybe we can take another look and tweak it a bit more and get you stuff YOU'LL really need in the future :) 


I was going to spend £47 but i may be able to go to £60-75 ish if needed. If it would give me a decent fps increase i would probably do it.
Thanks again :) 
CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB)
Hard Drive: 500GB
Optical Drive: 24x
Graphics card: MSI GTX 560 Ti 1024MB DDR5 TWIN FROZR II
Internet: TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe card
PSU: 600w corsair
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 6:28:09 PM

thats not a k series cpu so max overclock you could get would be 3.9ghz to 4ghz with turbo and bclk increase

your msi gtx560ti has hdmi--should come with a mini hdmi to hdmi cable--so hdmi monitor will work

and it doesnt only have 2 usb ports it has 8 usb 2.0 ports--4 at back and probably comes with add on for 4 more from the motherboard

and my mistake--its a revision b3 board so should also have 2 usb 3.0 ports

July 24, 2012 6:29:45 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
thats not a k series cpu so max overclock you could get would be 3.9ghz to 4ghz with turbo and bclk increase

your msi gtx560ti has hdmi--should come with a mini hdmi to hdmi cable--so hdmi monitor will work

and it doesnt only have 2 usb ports it has 8 usb 2.0 ports--4 at back and probably comes with add on for 4 more from the motherboard

and my mistake--its a revision b3 board so should also have 2 usb 3.0 ports


Ah thanks, i see
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 6:58:23 PM

alot pricier but this would be my first choice with wifi as well
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Motherboard-PCI-Express-Cr...

but you can still work with what you have. I meant by overclocking to be the future proffing route in your hardware purchasing scheme.
July 24, 2012 7:04:19 PM

Lutfij said:
alot pricier but this would be my first choice with wifi as well
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Motherboard-PCI-Express-Cr...

but you can still work with what you have. I meant by overclocking to be the future proffing route in your hardware purchasing scheme.



Sadly i cant really upgrade to that, would my current mobo be ok, apart from the future issues with upgrading my CPU?
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 7:07:31 PM

the current mobo won't be of any issue until you realize that your paying a good amount for very lil feature wise on your board.

At least another 3~4 years you can drop CPU's and not face a bottleneck, CPU side while you game/multitask/ operate.

could you link all your hardware?(i mean links not specs)
maybe i can tweak out your list and get you the right stuff. Budget would also help out alot!
July 24, 2012 7:15:31 PM

Lutfij said:
the current mobo won't be of any issue until you realize that your paying a good amount for very lil feature wise on your board.

At least another 3~4 years you can drop CPU's and not face a bottleneck, CPU side while you game/multitask/ operate.

could you link all your hardware?(i mean links not specs)
maybe i can tweak out your list and get you the right stuff. Budget would also help out alot!

CPU
http://www.ebuyer.com/349022-intel-core-i5-3450-3-1ghz-...
OS
http://www.ebuyer.com/259863-microsoft-windows-7-home-p...
RAM
http://www.ebuyer.com/247674-corsair-8gb-ddr3-1333mhz-x...
Hard drive
http://www.ebuyer.com/272944-seagate-500gb-barracuda-in...
Graphics card
http://www.ebuyer.com/280613-msi-gtx-560-ti-1024mb-ddr5...
Internet
http://www.ebuyer.com/263387-tp-link-wireless-n150-pcie...
Case
http://www.ebuyer.com/172779-casecom-6788-all-black-cas...
PSU
http://www.ebuyer.com/269259-corsair-600w-cx-series-v2-...
Mobo
http://www.ebuyer.com/266605-asus-p8h61-m-le-usb3-intel...

thanks for the help :) 
the budget is around £630
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 8:00:38 PM

that TP-link network card is pretty crappy from what I've read.

changes:
CPU:
i5-3570K
or
i5-3450

Mobo:
Asus P8Z77-V

RAM:
Kingston TX1 XMP

GPU:
MSI TWinFrozr II OC edt.
or
Asus DCII

Case:
Fractal Core 3000
or
Sharkoon T28 Blue

PSU:
CM 600 CX v2 80+

OS:
Win7 Home Premium

the max you'd be spending on these would be 737 quid
shave another 31 quid if you go with the non K cpu+the sharkoon case,
shave another 6 pounds if you go Asus for GTX560Ti (you could always overclock the thing yourself or just go with a factory overclock like the MSI you chose).

before you shoot me down for going overboard :)  here's how I see it,
the case/psu/HDD/ODD will be with you even after you swap out the mobo/cpu/ram. GPU will soon follow suite when it starts to struggle in games.

thus the case is capable of handling cablemanagement and PSU is more than adequate when you'll have beefier hardware.

mobo has wifi card that is capable of being an AP and can function as a router. Is future proof when PCI-E 3.0 cards will be in your alley.

ram is XMP certified and goes with the theme of your board and build - black and blue(maybe white). Personally I'd grab the corsair Vengence LP blue 8GB ram kit for a lil more and forget about it :) 

my 2 cents :D 
July 24, 2012 8:10:24 PM

Lutfij said:
that TP-link network card is pretty crappy from what I've read.

changes:
CPU:
i5-3570K
or
i5-3450

Mobo:
Asus P8Z77-V

RAM:
Kingston TX1 XMP

GPU:
MSI TWinFrozr II OC edt.
or
Asus DCII

Case:
Fractal Core 3000
or
Sharkoon T28 Blue

PSU:
CM 600 CX v2 80+

OS:
Win7 Home Premium

the max you'd be spending on these would be 737 quid
shave another 31 quid if you go with the non K cpu+the sharkoon case,
shave another 6 pounds if you go Asus for GTX560Ti (you could always overclock the thing yourself or just go with a factory overclock like the MSI you chose).

before you shoot me down for going overboard :)  here's how I see it,
the case/psu/HDD/ODD will be with you even after you swap out the mobo/cpu/ram. GPU will soon follow suite when it starts to struggle in games.

thus the case is capable of handling cablemanagement and PSU is more than adequate when you'll have beefier hardware.

mobo has wifi card that is capable of being an AP and can function as a router. Is future proof when PCI-E 3.0 cards will be in your alley.

ram is XMP certified and goes with the theme of your board and build - black and blue(maybe white). Personally I'd grab the corsair Vengence LP blue 8GB ram kit for a lil more and forget about it :) 

my 2 cents :D 



Whilst I would love to have the PC be more future proof than the current build, im afraid i cant really spend that much over budget. If it was a case of £20-£30 maybe but im afraid i cant really shell out that much right now. In the future i would like to upgrade the system but right now i dont think i can spend that much.

That being said, thanks for all the help :) 
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 8:14:04 PM



* final note:
the XMS are very dodgy pieces of stix, might want to avoid getting them

** you'll wish you went with my selection down the road say a few months from now...but its your choice :) 
!