Crossfire mode turns screen black

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I just got my computer up and running today, but found out I can't enable crossfire mode for some reason. Whenever i try it the screen goes black and I have to physically reset the computer again. The latest drivers have been installed for the motherboard and graphics card. Any guesses?

Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G45 (B3)
CPU: Intel i3 2100
Video Cards: 2x Radeon 5850
Wireless PCI Adapter: AZIO AWD102N
Ram: 8 Gb
Windows 7 64-bit

Solution
Shouldn't skimp on the PS quality if you plan to have more than one videocard in a system. Pick any of PS from reputable brand like Corsair, Enermax, Antec, or Thermaltake.

Just make sure the 12+ line has enough Amp for the cards, usually stick with single rail of V12+ for best result. And take Crossfire/SLI certification as an indicator.

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Maziar- Both cards do work fine simultaneously, and independently.

hpdeskjet- APEVIA|ATX-JV650W 650W RT

I think I may have found out what was wrong. For some reason, when I have the crossfire bridge on the right connectors of the graphics cards it doesn't work. I tried placing the bridge on the left side (the one closest to the case), and it worked just fine. I thought it didn't make a difference which one you put it on?

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Thanks. I guess it's too late to turn back now, but is there anything I should be aware of about it? Any tips on selecting a better PSU for this setup?

kong911

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Shouldn't skimp on the PS quality if you plan to have more than one videocard in a system. Pick any of PS from reputable brand like Corsair, Enermax, Antec, or Thermaltake.

Just make sure the 12+ line has enough Amp for the cards, usually stick with single rail of V12+ for best result. And take Crossfire/SLI certification as an indicator.

Solution

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep this in mind when I select another one. Hopefully the one I have will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.