Drawbacks of capstone 650 vs seasonic x650?

foshizz

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I really like the x650, it's probably one of the best psu's out there. It's just it's out of my price range. I also like the capstone 650, it's made by super flower golden green, a close seasonic competitor. It's only 99$, compared to the 140$ of the x650. Does anyone know the drawbacks of a capstone 650 to a x650?

x650:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Capstone 650

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

The x650 is modular, the other is not. I know that already.

P.S.

The capstone 650's fan is manufactured by globe fan. Are they a good brand? I think the fan is rated at 28 dB, I'm not sure.

mace200200

Honorable
The difference is that SeaSonic is like the king of Powersupplies, they're very high quality and there's lots of them out there being sold buy different companies. (My XFX brand PSU for example is made by SeaSonic.) I've never had a problem with Rosewill products but many people have, which is why I decided not to get a Rosewill brand power supply that I was orginally looking at.
I wouldn't say the Super Flower is a close competitor to Seasonic. They're much cheaper and not as good or reliable. CWT is a closer one, they make Corsair's PSU's and are also great quality.

Well, according to the HardwareSecrets review of the smaller Capstone 550, there is no MOV in its transient filter; according to the Jonnyguru review of the Capstone 750, there's no MOV there either, so the 650W version is likely to have the same shortcoming. Just use a good surge protector with it.