Sign in with
Your question

Good gaming rig? / compatible components?

Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2012 6:37:43 AM

Hi

I am building a new computer, but I really have little idea of how to choose everything. So I have doubts about whether my computer would be a good gaming rig, and whether the components I chose are actually compatible, or if there would be any problems (for instance, the motherboard vs the graphics card, or the psu vs everything). Problem is most of these parts were already bought, before I could actually do any revisions. If there's anything that wouldn't work here, that would be absolutely necessary for me to change, I need to know...

What I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHZ 6MB SOC LGA 1155

Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67CLB3 Socket 1155

RAM*: DDR3 Kingston 16 GB 1333 Mhz KIT

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280M 2-DVI MINI HDMI PCI-e

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W

*I am not entirely sure about the RAM. I know for sure it's 16gb... Also, the hdd has 1TB, but I don't know the brand nor anything else...

What I ask:

So, first of all, are all these parts compatible? I'm especially worried about the motherboard. I've read that Intel motherboards are not especially recommended for gaming, but would this one do if I'm not planning to overclock? And is it compatible with the video card? Will the GPU function properly with it? I also wonder about the PSU... is it reliable enough? And does it provide enough voltage for all the components? And finally, do I need anything else? (I mean for the build itself... of course I have monitor and mouse, etc).

Also, if everything is compatible and functional, does it make for a good gaming rig? Am I going to be able to run most games at good settings smoothly?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm rather lost.

Thanks in advance!
April 11, 2012 6:44:16 AM

Everything's alright, all the hardware is compatible.
Intel i5-2500 + GTX 570 is a decent match-up, and yes it will be a good gaming build.

You could have bought a better PSU, CoolerMaster's PSUs are 50/50 on reliability, but you will have more than enough power.
m
l
April 11, 2012 7:26:16 AM

Is it functional ? yes, will it have the best price/performance ratio? no. If you have not opened your components you might want to return them. Keep in mind all of the things all compatible and will work. This are just my recommendations.

Drop your psu and get this SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 140 dlls

This is a top quality psu and it's fully modular plus it's gold :D 

Drop your gpu and get this ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 260 dlls

Performs just like an gtx 570, but with incredibly low power consumption.

Switch motherboard and get ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 110$

Great motherboard with alot of features and ports.

Windows 7 ultimate do you need it? Get windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Bummer you did not come here to us for advice.

m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2012 3:08:20 PM

quicksand10 said:
Everything's alright, all the hardware is compatible.
Intel i5-2500 + GTX 570 is a decent match-up, and yes it will be a good gaming build.

You could have bought a better PSU, CoolerMaster's PSUs are 50/50 on reliability, but you will have more than enough power.

Yeah, I know Cooler Master is not the best... but I understand the Silent Pro series is actually a reliable one compared to, for example, eXtreme or Elite. Still, maybe not the best choice, but well, it can still run. What should I be on the lookout for, in case my PSU starts failing?

Plasmid said:
Is it functional ? yes, will it have the best price/performance ratio? no. If you have not opened your components you might want to return them. Keep in mind all of the things all compatible and will work. This are just my recommendations.

[…]

Bummer you did not come here to us for advice.

Indeed, I should have come here first.... I'll certainly keep it in mind for future updates.

For now, it would actually be more expensive for me to return my components, so unless it's absolutely necessary to change them, I'm going to have to keep them.

So, maybe it won't have the best price-performance ratio, but I hope its performance will be good. Hopefully I'll be able to run most games fairly well.

In general, the games I'll be playing are:

TBS: mainly the Civilization and Total War series.

RTS: mainly Paradox titles (Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis III, Victoria II, and Hearts of Iron III)

RPG: mainly Bioware (Mass Effect series), and Bethesda (The Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout series), probably others.

Sanbox: well, Minecraft, but I'm not too worried here...

Those would be the main titles I have in mind right now, but I would like the option to play any other game. For the most demanding games, how well would I be able to run them?

And finally, I also have a very ignorant doubt about the sound card (DirectX compatible): what am I looking for here? Is it integrated somewhere in these components, or would I need to buy it separately?

Thanks for your replies!

m
l
April 11, 2012 3:19:38 PM

The computer will work. However, like Plasmid said, if you would have come here we would have suggested the best value build for your needs.

You don't need a separate sound card, you can use the onboard audio on your motherboard.
m
l
April 11, 2012 3:50:04 PM

I would like to reassure you about the PSU you have bought.
There are two versions of the Silent Pro 700W. One is the Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W and the other is the Silent Pro Gold 700W.
Both of which are high quality and very likely to be reliable (can't guarantee it with any brand/OEM). So if I was you I wouldn't worry.
m
l
April 11, 2012 4:29:38 PM

Okay, thanks!

For the future, whenever I consider making any upgrades, I'll come here first. For now, this build will do.

I appreciate the help!
m
l
!