Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is it bad to edit my GPU's fan speed manually?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2012 6:52:16 AM

Usually when I play DiRT 3 or Dungeons and Dragons Online on Ultra I'm pulling pretty decent FPS but my temps will hit 70 C unless I turn off the automatic mode and crank the fan to 60%, when I'm not gaming I keep it in automatic mode and maintain a steady temperature of about 40 C. What I'm wondering about is will cranking up the fan to 60% while gaming cause my fan's life expectancy to be significantly lowered? And is 70 C still a safe temp for video cards to run on for several hours?

Specs:
Intel Core i7 2600K (I Had an $80 off coupon if you must know)
16 GB Kingston HyperX RAM (Yes I had a huge coupon here too)
Sapphire Radeon 6870 (Can you say Coupon)
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate (Can you say 80% discount)
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 6:58:57 AM

Download msi Afterburner and set a fan profile. 70+ temps are normal for stock profiles as the noise.is kept.down with lower fan speeds. Afterburner will allow you to Manually adjust an arc with 1% to 1c ratio to help keeps temps down and noise to a minimum when you dont need the cooling
Score
Related resources

Best solution

February 3, 2012 10:33:54 AM

running your fan faster isn't that bad but it will reduce the life, how much i do not know.

Some GPUs can run hot, my old 8800GT would run at 90 and it was ok ( i didn't like it that hot but it seemed to cope ). Contact the manufacturer and see what thay say is the normal temps.

I would invest in a tin of pressurised air and occasionally clean your GPU as dust buildup can increase temps.

Also does your case have a good airflow?

Having a pci slot fan that exhausts hot air or a side fan on your case can reduce your temps as well, even if its a few deg.

Hope that helps a little
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 12:19:17 PM

Yes it's horrible for your gpu to turn up your fanspeed to cool it down. :bounce: 
Score
February 3, 2012 4:08:18 PM

Best answer selected by Vistavendetta.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 4:41:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!